Half marathon training

I put my jelly babies in a little pocket on my belt. The belt also has a padded space for a drink bottle. I feel I need to drink a lot having recently upped the distance I go, so I now have one bottle with sugar free squash in it and I also carry a hand bottle with powerade lite in it and alternate between them. It was awkward getting used to the belt, but the need to drink more was higher, especially in this heat.

Great run who-la-hoop!!!!

I have made a decision to defer my place at GNR until next year. Two reasons, the first is more financial. Having had to replace my car quickly, our finances took quite a hit. The accommodation and race transfers were £200, so cannot really just justify it at the moment.

The 2nd reason is my lack of training. I have lost motivation again and didn't go out for a run this w/e, so the chances of been ready in time are getting slimmer, which is stressing me out.

I'm not happy about my decision, but I have put a lot of thought into it. My focus is to get back on track and do my own half marathon in October. My goal for the end of the year is to do it under 2 hrs.

That is a pity shazz, but fair play to you for making the commitment to going it alone before the end of the year. I will be glad to cross the line in Sept never mind doing it in less than 2 hours!!!

I put my jelly babies in a little pocket on my belt. The belt also has a padded space for a drink bottle. I feel I need to drink a lot having recently upped the distance I go, so I now have one bottle with sugar free squash in it and I also carry a hand bottle with powerade lite in it and alternate between them. It was awkward getting used to the belt, but the need to drink more was higher, especially in this heat.

Was thinking of getting one of those belts, where did you get yours and it is okay to run with. I do like the idea of having my own secret stash of jelly babies!!

Ten miles done today! Really pleased that the second half (which was a lot more uphill) only took me two minutes longer than the first half. I officially don't like hills :D

I think I probably need to start trying out fuel options for my longer runs... though if I tried to eat jelly babies I reckon I'd just end up dropping them rather than getting them in my mouth! Wondering if sports drinks would be a better bet initially.

well done on the 10 miles - I agree with you on the hills so I try get them out of the way at the start - think I would turn back again if I knew there were more waiting for me at the end of my run!!

Am very annoyed this morning, i pulled/strained my calf muscle last night. It is fine when I am resting but when I walk you can feel the twinge of discomfort. I iced it last night and trying to keep it elevated here at work (I sit for most of the day so its not so bad). But I feel so frustrated that it has happened now with just over 7 weeks to go to my race. If I am still uncomfortable tomorrow, think I might visit the physio. :( :(

Oh no Fairy. Your doing the right thing by resting, elevating and icing. What distance are u up to? You should still be ok for the race, even if u have to take a week or two off. Frustration must be quite high though :-(

I have found much cheaper accommodation and going to chance the local transport route. So the cost has come down substantially, so im still going ahead with GNR. I can fit in 6 long runs, so hopefully will still have time to fit my training in. Although my last run was only 8 miles! Need to really focus now!!!!!!!!

have had to take a week out of training again, raging migranes and a reaction to the tablets has left my stomach very swollen, feeling like im going to be sick and migraines. my stomachs that swollen im finding it hard to walk around easily :(

Ladies,

I've been lurking for a while *stalker*

I'm also doing the GNR and have managed to get up to 7milrs in my long run but and this is a big but, yesterday when I got back from a 3miler my hip flexor is aching. Has anyone glad had this problem? I'm taking today off from running but I'm worried about when I should get back of for a run or how long to rest it! Is only 7 weeks to the start and I really need to train so I can up my miles.

Heeeelllpppp!!!

After much debating and conflicting advise from work mates I went to my physio on Saturday. Had a good look at my leg and I was told my strain was caused by a dodgy ankle injury (have a plate and pins in my leg following a fall on a drunken night out over 17 years ago!) I am flat footed and my right foot is actually turning outwards when I run. This has caused a 'shortening'on my calf muscles, hence the pull on my leg. She looked at my runners and pointed to the worn spots on them compared to my left one. Sounds very simple but it was great to get professional advise and she is a runner herself as it turns out. She gave me 3 different exercises to try loosen up the ankle. She is also suggesting orthics for my runners to help lift and support the arch of my foot. Am going back out tonight for a gentle 3 mile run and see how it goes from there.
Only problem is I am off on hols the end of this week, bringing running stuff with me, while I wont be doing major miles, I hope to get in a few 5 milers. I fear I wont have the miles clocked up for the run in Sept but I am not giving up just yet.

Will let you know tomorrow how it goes.

FM

PS this running lark is addictive :)

have had to take a week out of training again, raging migranes and a reaction to the tablets has left my stomach very swollen, feeling like im going to be sick and migraines. my stomachs that swollen im finding it hard to walk around easily :(

Oh dear Gina, hope you are recovering ok. Yes it is a pain in the bottom to have to take time out from training but if you are poorly there is no point making yourself worse.

Mind yourself.

FMx

Going to run my first 10k in October when i should hopefully be at my target weight, been out 3 times a week in my sweat suit and things are going well :)

Party Girl No.1 said:
Ladies,

I've been lurking for a while *stalker*

I'm also doing the GNR and have managed to get up to 7milrs in my long run but and this is a big but, yesterday when I got back from a 3miler my hip flexor is aching. Has anyone glad had this problem? I'm taking today off from running but I'm worried about when I should get back of for a run or how long to rest it! Is only 7 weeks to the start and I really need to train so I can up my miles.

Heeeelllpppp!!!

Sorry not had that problem. Does it feel any better for resting it? I understand your frustration, nothing worse than having an injury when you are on a tight schedule. Hopefully it will sort itself pretty quick and you can get back on track

Fairy: how did your run go? Yes running is addictive, lol :)

going to try something today... half walk/run 13 miles.

i know i can walk it all in 3 hours 50 mins, but its only going to be about 7 miles of running with walking breaks inbetween...

How did it go Gina?

went well :) the walking was a nice break inbetween and i still got my run done too

Glad your run went well Gina :)

I have decided to pull out of the Bristol half. I'm really struggling with my training and can't see that I'm going to be ready to run it. I'm annoyed but it takes the pressure off and frees up a bit of money.

It makes a huge difference having the pressure lifted. No point injuring yourself rushing through the training. There will be plenty of other races x

Back