Half marathon training

starting to get really nervous about the half now, i keep thinking ill be the only half marathon newbie and ill be left lagging behind everyone else. normal to be this nervous before runs?! ill be stocking up on banana's before it, they give me a huge boost.
i still cant run a full 3 miles without walking, what if im the slowest one running? argh.... nerves.

That's a shame Claire!! It cant be helped though.

Gina: I think this is a common concern. I have had several races, and I still fear been the last runner. I am better with my nerves, but still get a few.
The best way to combat them, is to have confidence in your training. If you have put the training in, then you know you can get round the course. It's all about having belief in yourself. Once the race starts the nerves go and you can relax and enjoy it.

i know ill be alright soon as i set off, its the just the pre run nerves!
yesterdays run went well, practised intervals adding some sprints in there. going to do the same tommorow :)

Things are a bit quiet on here??? How is everyone doing?

My half marathon training should start Tuesday but I'm going to finish the B210k plan first then come into the half training plan a couple of weeks on. I'm looking forward to it.

coachnomad said:
My half marathon training should start Tuesday but I'm going to finish the B210k plan first then come into the half training plan a couple of weeks on. I'm looking forward to it.

Where could I find a 10k plan? Have entered one in December. I can run just over 5 miles in 50mins at the mo, really want to do 10k under an hour :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Do you need a 10k plan if you're already running 5 miles? Just build up to 6 miles and then you can work on the speed.

I'm using the Hal Higdon 10k app which I think is good. You can get the app from itunes for your phone. You could also google 10k plans to find one that suits you if you're not fussed about having an app.

Good luck :)

Thanks, will look at some apps. I suppose I want a plan to keep me going, esp thru the colder months. Do you know how long it would take to train for a half marathon? I would love to be able to do one next year.

:)

done 7 1/2 miles in 1hr 38 mins, my speed is getting faster yay! :happy036:

That's great Gina! :)

it was a big help running with a friend too, he too runs at a slow pace. i did the first 3.5miles on my own then caught up with him and before i knew it, it was almost 6 miles id done. didnt even notice as we was just having a conversation! i did the last 1.5 miles on my own as he was going to a combat class at the gym, and just kept the pace. manageable pace, not fast but comfortable to keep it up!

Have signed up to my next race. Silverstone half marathon in March. Also going to challenge myself to run under 2hrs. My last race was 2hr 11 mins, so still have a lot of training to do to improve.

I'd love to be able to run a half marathon. Only got to 7 miles so far, a way to go still!

5 weeks on sunday until my half marathon! getting so close now.....
done a 9 mile run tonight, 1hr 55 mins :) pleased with that time.

my plan now is to do 9 miles twice a week on mondays and thursdays, and do 12 miles on saturdays!
are you supposed to do less in the week before the run though?

Jenny: 7 miles is great, only a few more to go :)

Gina: Might need to be careful changing your schedule so close to the race, doing too many miles too quickly causes injuries. What is your normal running schedule?

Jenny: 7 miles is great, only a few more to go :)

Gina: Might need to be careful changing your schedule so close to the race, doing too many miles too quickly causes injuries. What is your normal running schedule?

mon: 9 miles
thurs: 9 miles
sat: 12 miles

thats what i was worried about tbh, i dont want to cause injury but i want to be able to run the distance still. another thing im getting quite worried about, i train on a park near by my work place. its going to get dark out early soon and i dont feel safe running through the park on my own. i already know that no one i know of can run at the time i set off :/
im reluctant to go back to the treadmill again, but maybe it will be my only soultion on the monday and thursday. ill still do the outdoor longer run at the weekend as its always done in the mornings. its not easy fitting this training in with my work routine :( for the same reason i wont run before work, it will still be dark out.

As long as your long run is outside then you should be fine running on a treadmill during the week.
Just listen to your body, the slightest ache or pain just stop. It is not worth injuring yourself.
If you're up to 12 miles already then you will be fine on race day.

last week was my first time doing 12 miles, before that is was always 10 miles!

Back