Half marathon training

How long do your 10 and 12 miles take? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

i know the 12 miles took 3hrs 5mins, im not sure about the 10 mile as my phone battery went (i track my miles on my phone)

Hi all

I am thinking of signing up for my first half marathon, to take place in 5 weeks. I can currently run 9 miles in 1hr 30 minutes, but that is the furthest distance I have ever done. I was just wondering two things:

1. Would people generally recommend having done a shorter race (e.g. 5km or 10km) prior to doing their first half marathon? I've never done a race before and whilst I really want to enter the half marathon, I am a little bit nervous about it.

2. Do people find that the last 3 - 4 miles of a half marathon are significantly slower than the earlier miles? I"m trying to gage my likely finish time so I can select the relevant finish time bracket when I enter.

Thanks

PS, I suppose another question - is 5 weeks to increase my distance by 4 miles unrealistic?!

im no expert but id say its doable in 5 weeks!

Thanks Gina. I've signed up now, so it will have to be doable!! It's on 21 October, the Great Birmingham Run. Has anyone done it before?

I'm a bit worried about what to wear on my top half, as it could be really cold. Do people tend to wear layers? Is there generally somewhere you can leave things and collect them at the end? I won't have any family or friends round to carry stuff for me, as its a fair distance from where I live.

even when ive ran in the cold, ive ben cold at first but soon warmed up. i do bring a hoodie with me though and just tie it round my waist if i need to wear it.

never done a half marathon before, mines the 28th of october :) around the same time as yours so no doubt it will be chilly out for mine!

After some advice from you runners please!

I am no where near any half marathon's or even 10k for that matter but a few weeks ago I did manage to run my 1st ever 30mins non stop on my treadmill.

I've never been a runner but always wanted to be, I do prefer it outdoors but with looking after my 18month old I have to do it at night when he's in Bed taking the monitor into the garage with me.

My question is this: I really want to set a plan in place with a realistic goal at the end of it. Sometimes I can run 30mins non stop, sometimes I struggle. My first goal is to run 5k non stop. Should I start the C25k programme and follow it or do you think I can just try to work on where I am at at the moment? I'm a bit scared of starting from scratch when I know (no offence intended) that I can do better already?

I'd love to hear what you think please!

Hi lucylu, from what you've said, I think the bridge to 10k plan sounds like it would suit you. There are several out there, I like Hal Higdon. Google some and see what you think.

Hi lucylu, from what you've said, I think the bridge to 10k plan sounds like it would suit you. There are several out there, I like Hal Higdon. Google some and see what you think.

Hi and thanks for your reply, I googled 10k after 5k after I typed the post and found an 8week training plan, it starts off with 1.5mile run's, one of which I've just completed. The only thing I may struggle with is the circuit training day as I can only train at home but I may just do some Kettle bells or something. Hope I can stick at it, 1.5 miles after 3 weeks off was hard enough for me tonight!!!

Rachael82: well done for signing up. There should be a bag drop off area, they work pretty well. Ideal if your on your own.
I wear several layers, or a running jacket if it is cold. I find my hoodie really hot once I start running though. Gloves and a hat are also a good idea.

Lucylu: pleased you have found a programme that you can follow.
I understand what it is like running with a toddler. My daughter is 3.5 yrs now, but it does take some juggling fitting a run in sometimes :)

Rachael82: well done for signing up. There should be a bag drop off area, they work pretty well. Ideal if your on your own.
I wear several layers, or a running jacket if it is cold. I find my hoodie really hot once I start running though. Gloves and a hat are also a good idea.

Thanks Shaz. I'm going for a running t shirt with a thin layer over the top and maybe a thin running jacket, and definitely gloves, my hands always get freezing! I managed 12 miles in training on Sunday, so hopefully i'll be ok on the day.

I've found this thread really inspirational - you have all had amazing achievements so far!

Rachael, 12 miles is brilliant!! Well done, your will certainly be ready in time for your race :)

Lucy: that's great!! :)

I've got a small dilemaa nd wnated your advice all....

I wanted to treat myself to some new trainers (and by treat I meant ebay!) The thing is my trainers are from 2009, Saucony(sp?) ones and they have been fine.

I say fine because i've had no foot pain, just the odd knee pain which at the moment I don't have thank the lord.

Where would I start at replacing my trainers or am I tempting fate too much and just stick with them? They certainly are running trainers but have done a lot of outdoor miles and I was looking at ones specially for a treadmill.

What do you all think???

Oh and I've done my 1.5 miles tonight, 2 on fri which I'm hoping I can do without stopping also, just gotta overcome the head telling me to stop! ;-)

Oh and I've done my 1.5 miles tonight, 2 on fri which I'm hoping I can do without stopping also, just gotta overcome the head telling me to stop! ;-)

Well done!

Well done Lucy, you're doing great!

I seem to be losing motivation and can't get out the door at the moment which is incredibly frustrating as I want to run!!! I have a half marathon at the end of November so need to sort myself out soon.

Back