Half marathon training

a moment of madness took over me.... i was thinking about a 3rd half in april, my hand went and clicked MARATHON..... all paid for, yay?! also another half, in september.

i wont aim for a good timing, i just want to finish it.
i have 6 monthes to train, ah i think ill be very nervous for this.

blackpool marathon, in april

Go Gina.....!!!!! Your braver than me, lol

Amazing Gina! I have just signed up for the Leeds half marathon and then the Edinburgh marathon, both in may, but am looking for another half to do before then. There don't seem to be that many up here between Christmas and may!

Can I sulk and ask for some inspirational help and perhaps some mini stories?

I'm seriously doubting ever being able to run at the moment, I'm taking it to heart that my pace of 5mph is slow, some people's speed walk pace even, then there's my knees, I've stopped wearing heels for 3 weeks in case that helps but no avail, my knees are starting to twinge going down stairs and last time I got this from road running and probably not stretching and wearing incorrect shoes, I dunno, for whatever reason, after training for my first 5k in 2009 my knees have never been the same :-(

Please tell me to keep going at this pace and that it will get easier or that some day a 2.5 mile like last night won't sound so hard?!

Lucylu79 said:

I'm seriously doubting ever being able to run at the moment, I'm taking it to heart that my pace of 5mph is slow, some people's speed walk pace even, then there's my knees, I've stopped wearing heels for 3 weeks in case that helps but no avail, my knees are starting to twinge going down stairs and last time I got this from road running and probably not stretching and wearing incorrect shoes, I dunno, for whatever reason, after training for my first 5k in 2009 my knees have never been the same :-(

Please tell me to keep going at this pace and that it will get easier or that some day a 2.5 mile like last night won't sound so hard?!

Absolutely keep going! Remember, you're way ahead of all those people on the sofa!

I used to struggle to run 30 seconds. That was in May this year. I've now run two 10ks and I'm considering signing up for a half marathon. Some days my knees and hips hurt, some days my asthma stops me running as far as I normally can but I never regret going out for a run and I'm really proud of how far I've come!

dominoes said:
Absolutely keep going! Remember, you're way ahead of all those people on the sofa!

I used to struggle to run 30 seconds. That was in May this year. I've now run two 10ks and I'm considering signing up for a half marathon. Some days my knees and hips hurt, some days my asthma stops me running as far as I normally can but I never regret going out for a run and I'm really proud of how far I've come!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Lucylu79 said:
Thank you thank you thank you!

No problem! I hope that helps! By the way, my 10km time is 1hr 15 and I tend to run on the treadmill at between 7 and 8 km/h. I'm not a fast runner either!

dominoes said:
No problem! I hope that helps! By the way, my 10km time is 1hr 15 and I tend to run on the treadmill at between 7 and 8 km/h. I'm not a fast runner either!

I'm only on week 5 so I've done 2 x 3.5 milers but my run last night was crap and I'm still beating myself up for bad ones, I've had a bad back today and then unexpectedly my time of the month came so perhaps that could of contributed to it?!
I need to do 4 miles next and I'm dreading it!

Lucylu79 said:
I'm only on week 5 so I've done 2 x 3.5 milers but my run last night was crap and I'm still beating myself up for bad ones, I've had a bad back today and then unexpectedly my time of the month came so perhaps that could of contributed to it?!
I need to do 4 miles next and I'm dreading it!

Which plan are you following? (sorry on my phone so not v easy to read back!)

I think the important thing to remember is that everyone has bad runs and if you're following a training plan you just have to forget about them and focus on your next one.

Absolutely agree with above, everyone has bad runs, very normal! I never thought I'd be able to run more than 10mins but you do slowly get there, I promise. Keep going hun, try not to stress too much about staying exactly to your plan, we're all very different. You will run 4 miles in one go, DON'T look at the clock, pace doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with a slow plodder oner, I'm one! I personally am happier if I can complete a certain distance than do a fast run. When I increase my pace, my knees really hurt and I get a stitch so I go back to plodding on!! You'll be ok :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

dont give up if you want to do it, dont worry about how fast you are either! im hardly a fast runner, i often come last or close to last in any run i do.
my hips and back are agony when i run, dont let it defeat you :) if i can do it, you can!

plod along at the pace your comfortable with, its your run not anyone elses

Have to agree, don't worry about your pace. I too am a slow runner but am more interested in finishing than what time I do it in.

As for dreading running 4 miles, don't think about the distance, just go for a run and enjoy it. Before you know it you will have done the required distance.

Good luck and keep going! :)

i found putting on a podcast of my fave comedian when i was struggling helped, running with a friend helped too. the friend i ran with was also quite new to running so we both had a slow pace!

argh.

i dont feel comfortable running on my own in the dark, theres an escaped prisoner, hes a rapist and pedophile, on the loose in the area (hes been spotted not far from me too!) so ive had to use the treadmill tonight.
some teenage girl has gone missing from where hes been seen aswell. scary

I don't run in the evenings anymore, not worth the stress and hyperventilating if I hear footsteps near me lol it's pretty scary!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Thanks so much all!

I have the opportunity to go running with 2 work colleagues who have done a 10k last year and signing up for the next, I can only go every other week with looking after Alfie but I should totally go for it shouldn't I! Ok so they may need to wait a few times, or, ill push myself further than I can imagine. They run about 3.8 miles at least twice a week. I need to get outdoors (only running on treadmill at the mo!)

I'm following an 8 week plan that increases by half a mile per week on the long run once a week. X

Back