Halloumi's journey to losing almost 4 stone...

halloumi

So, the title says it all really. I'm a 30 somethinger, mother of two and somehow (possibly partly to do with loving cheese, especially halloumi, lol) I've managed to pile on almost 4 stone over the last 6 years. I've gone steadily up from a size 10 to a size 16, and instead of continuing to ignore this and keep on buying "loose fit" clothes I think the time has come to tackle it and aim to regain control of my body and dress size.

I was 13.8 when I had my epiphany moment last week and decided to get on the scales and restart SW. I will weigh in tomorrow and I'm hoping for a decent loss. I haven't been 100% perfect, I had a slip up one day this week and had a blow out, but have stuck to it the rest of the time. And I am determined, though feel daunted at the sane time. I want to get to 9.10, which is almost 4 stone to lose. It seems like a huge amount, and I want it to happen overnight.

I hope I can see this through, I'm not a big exerciser and would like to see what I can do with food optimising alone before I push myself towards exercise, I know if I change too much at once I'll find it too hard and be more likely to give up.

Onwards and downwards towards that size 10...

13.3 on Mon, 5lb off in week 1. Hoping for 2 next week to make that half stone off. Following EE, but actually most of my food would equally fit nicely onto the old green plan as I'm not a huge fan of meat and generally prefer vegetarian dishes or fish where possible.

I can't honestly say that I can see any difference from losing that first 5 lbs, but it's OK as I am motivated right now. Considering taking a selfie in the mirror, to use in future when the 'novelty' wears off, I don't have any up to date photos, spend my life avoiding them these days!

Actually, I'm going to be honest with myself, I'm not hoping for 2 off next week, I'm hoping for a miraculous, stunning amount like a 7 lb loss, but realistically that won't happen, so I'll settle for 2...
Or 3...
Fingers crossed.

I'm feeling a bit fed up this evening, happy with my eating and not feeling the need to go off plan but, because I'm one of those annoying people who knows what they should do but can't stop doing something wrong, I weigh myself daily. Which is OK, as long as I don't set too much store by it.

Actually, its OK until I see a gain. Then its not OK anymore. So Monday, 13.3. Tuesday first thing, 13.4. OK I can deal with that, have a good day on plan. Tuesday night, just to double check, still 13.4. Pleased then, because usually I weigh heavier at night, so I'm expecting to be around 13.2 on Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning 13.4!!! Grrrr. What's that about?

I know the standard advice, fluctuations, water, don't weigh every day etc. But I can't stop it, and I actually wish I could sometimes but I can't, and its bothering me that this mornings weight was so unexpected after last nights, I'm always a lb or 2 lighter in the morning, always. So, rant over. I'm going to just have a sneaky peek at the scales on my way to bed....

Well that rant was short lived, 13.2 this morning. Must stop torturing myself, I might try and cut down (like an addict), maybe go back to once a day this week, then try and aim for every other day next week. Gradual approach may work better.

I took photos this morning in the mirror. If I can work out how, I may upload them into my diary. I look big. I think I've been in denial until recently.

I thought it might help to have a visual reminder/log of my weight and weight loss going forward.

I need to go shopping, ran out of fry light last night and have done a menu planner for the weekend and next week so I really do need to go and get the right food in. If I don't have the right stuff I know I'll end up hungry and go for the bad stuff instead!

I'm picking up what I need for tonights meal later when I get the kids, but I hate doing a proper shop with them, and they hate it too! So I'll try and get an online order delivered tomorrow. Planning to make a SW recipe mushroom soup tomorrow, as I'm just craving a nice mushroom soup at the moment :)

well done on your first weeks loss!
That's great:)
I weigh myself daily too, always first thing every morning :D
don't get disheartened at any point though, it's the weigh in at the end of the week that counts :D
what is your daily food diary like? :)

and halloumi? never tried it...what's different about it to other cheese?

Thanks Zafira, I don't usually set much store by it, just use it to give me an idea how I'm doing through the week (I'm one of those people who can't wait for surprises!). Food diary is OK I think, EE and staying between 6 and 10 syns most days. I don't drink enough water though and I do need to work on that.

Halloumi is so yummy! It's a Cypriot cheese, comes in a big block and is so good grilled in a big slice or made into kebabs with peppers and onions. It has a very meaty taste, but I could eat far too much given half a chance.

I'm the same, coffee all morning, maybe a diet coke in the afternoon and recently I've been forcing myself to drink a couple of classes of still or fizzy water while I'm cooking dinner in the kitchen, otherwise my fluids are really poor. I know I need to try and space my water out a bit more in the day, I think its easier in the summer, when its cold I just want a warm drink :)

I'm really cross with the scales today, they are showing me last weeks weight when I weigh in again tomorrow. There is time to fluctuate, and I've got a good day planned, but I doubt I'll get a fantastic loss tomorrow. I can only assume its the Chinese and gin last night, even though I stayed within my syns.

You should try it, grilled on a salad or in kebabs on the BBQ in summer :) I'm not much of a meat eater though, not veggie but I mostly prefer a veggie option, its rare I'd choose meat, and I just love a plate of Halloumi kebabs and a quorn burger or 2 on the BBQ. I think I'm longing for the end of winter, having food fantasies...!

Well, I'm not a big exerciser, but I've made a good effort today, squats and 15 mins of Davina DVD at home this morning, walk to the park and back with the kids (40 mins total), had a go on the exercise equipment in the park with the kids (for fun rather than to actually exercise!). I'd like to think that all counts as a bit of body magic, and will help with a bit of a loss rather than a stay the same in the morning :)

Hi Halloumi,

well done on the weight loss so far and for getting a bit of exercise in too. I used to weigh myself everyday too but have now got my hubby to hide the scales so I can't do it anymore as it was really beginning to mess with my head. Good luck with the exercise too. It's something I definitely need to get into!

Ive never tried Halloumi cheese either. Will need to give it a try :)

Oh Halloumi, that's rotten. Did you stick to the plan all week? I hate it when that happens. It's hard not to just say stuff it and pack it in but keep at it and hopefully it'll show up next week x

Hi tootyfrooty, yes I did, 100% so its really annoying. I did a massive food shop on Sat and spent a lot more than usual because of buying SW friendly stuff, so I'm determined to carry on mainly because I don't want to waste that money! And I'm just going to have to stay positive that next week might be a good week. I put a pair of jeans on today that I haven't worn for a while, and have already noticed that I'm hitching them back up every so often around the waist, I'm sure I've never had to do that before, so maybe my measurement has changed even if the scales aren't reflecting it yet. And I ache nicely from exercising yesterday. I am determined to keep going, and not let it get to me, but I am still fed up!

I think I weigh in on the wrong day. Should clearly change to Tuesday, as this morning I'm exactly 13.1 on the damn things instead of yesterdays annoying 13.2 and a half!

I think what's keeping me motivated is the conviction that my jeans (sz 16) are looser. Now I may just be delusional, and I haven't worn this pair for ages, but I'm convinced they are looser round the waist and I want to keep going until they won't stay up round the waist!!!! I got rid of all my smaller clothes last year when I decided to give in and accept my size so I've nothing smaller than a 16 to try on, but I think I'll know about it properly when I need a belt to hold the jeans up. Still a long way away but a woman can dream ;)

Hey Halloumi ... well done so far :) .. I'm just starting out again too... Its hard getting back into it I think but once the losses start becoming more frequent we'll be happy :)

Thanks Lola, yes its hard to get that motivation started, once it has I'm usually OK, but a small loss when I'm expecting something much bigger knocks me a bit! Good luck with starting again, are you going to rejoin a group?

Back