Has Anyone Been to Amsterdam?

westiegirl

Gold Member
I am going to Amsterdam at the end of January with some friends (3 of them have birthdays at the time) and we were looking for something to do on the Saturday evening.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places we can go that are perhaps a little different. I'm thinking along the lines of nice (but not too expensive) restaurants, clubs etc. Something that is perhaps just a little different or special.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! :D

Amsterdam is fun. I have been - but I've only ever been to fairly seedy nightclubs there so I can't really help...

I can recommend some really good seedy clubs and shops though :D

Theres a great argentinian steak restaurant not far from Dam Square. Enormous Tbones served up on wooden platters with all the accompanients. Sorry if your veggie. Gets busy. Theres also some good indonesian that are reasonable just off the square too, they are close to the red light district which is a must, not for the faint hearted though.
Lovely coffee shops all over the city just beware the chocolate muffins.

Hiya,
I've been a few times, but can't think of anything specific like that :eek: it's mainly 'Coffee Shops' where people are getting very chilled out ;) and the red light district and it's array of live shows :D

We were on girls'/hen weekends there and had a blast. I'm sure you'll have a fab time.

Kitty xxx

Definitely head down for Dam Square. We went to a Chinese place just down from there, huge place it was too, fabulous food! We ended up just wandering about looking at the sights. Although we were in the red light area it doesnt have the unsafe feeling youd expect. We wandered up and down both sides of the canal and then found a pub.

Just be careful if youre taking photos around there, even if youre not photographing any of the 'window displays' if their 'security' think you are theyll come after you!! One guy in our party almost got into bother cos they thought he was photographing one of the girls, thankfully he had a digital camera and was able to show the guy the photo.

Definitely head down for Dam Square. We went to a Chinese place just down from there, huge place it was too, fabulous food! We ended up just wandering about looking at the sights. Although we were in the red light area it doesnt have the unsafe feeling youd expect. We wandered up and down both sides of the canal and then found a pub.

Just be careful if youre taking photos around there, even if youre not photographing any of the 'window displays' if their 'security' think you are theyll come after you!! One guy in our party almost got into bother cos they thought he was photographing one of the girls, thankfully he had a digital camera and was able to show the guy the photo.

Thanks Sandy for the tips. My friend loves Chinese! I'll be sure to tell everyone about being careful with their cameras.

Here are couple of places I like for drinking: "in de Wildeman" great selection of real ales and continental beers, but its not really a party place. If it's good weather most Dutch people sit out on on the "terrace" (on the street in front of the pub) watching the world go by, the best places for this are the Leidseplein and the Rembrandtsplein.
I always enjoy eating at the sea palace which is a floating chinese restaurant not far from the central station and the red light district.
Hope you have a great time :party0011:

Last edited:
Back