Has anyone ditched Slimming World for Weight Watchers?

I've been on WW for the last 5 weeks, have lost 12lbs so far and its going well. There has been a change too, and I think maybe its only here in europe at the moment - the way they calculate the points has changed, we now use 'Pro-points', of which I am allowed 29 per day (which is the minimum). Of that there are a number of certain foods which have 'green points' allocated and of which we can eat a 'satisfying portion' - for example 100grams (sorry I dont know it in ounces but its one portion size) is equal to 2 green points, however if I am hungry and want to eat more, I can eat, 2 portions for 4 points, or as much as I want for a total of 7 points. The basic foods in these categories are the carbs such as potatoes rice and pasta (not bread), and protiens - lean meats and skinless chicken (up to five points for a satisfying portion). So the idea is not to go crazy on it, but to allow yourself to feel satisfied, and thus avoid cravings and eating other things that are not so good later... I also cant save my daily points, but I have a weekly allowance of extra points that I can use and apparently still lose weight. Mostly I only use a few of those anyway.

I dont know if this change is only for europe, or if its going to be changed everywhere. I really want now to find a way to convert the flexipoints to the new propoints so I can share recipes with my sister in law who is on the old programme in New Zealand now.

It is definately helping me with portion size as I have to really think about what is going onto my plate. Its also pushing me into sticking with those good foods. The best thing for me about WW is that I can still cook what I like - which has always been pretty healthy food (just my portion sizes and snacking messed me up!) and I dont need to do anything different for the family. I am finding it really easy to stick to it! Only yesterday was a yuk day for me and I got stressed and cravings... but thats the first time in 5 weeks!

Isnt that a variation on core? where you can eat alot of certain stuff on a "good list" etc and have a certain number of points per week for treats

Isnt that a variation on core? where you can eat alot of certain stuff on a "good list" etc and have a certain number of points per week for treats

Yes I think so, although I dont know anything about core..?

I suspect we dont get as much information at our (dutch) meetings... My sisterinlaw in New Zealand has a whole lot more information, also better recipes!

Basically they told us: be sensible with portion sizes and the green points products, but better to eat too much of those than to snack on something later thats less good. I dont use the extra points much but its handy if going out for dinner etc, no stress about finding something on the menu that meets the daily allowance..

well 1st week of ww after switching from SW and 3.5lb off, over the moon and sticking with WW from now on!

YAY, I posted a note for you on sw forum but in case you dont read it, i just wanted to say well done and so glad you have found something that works for you. Good luck :) x x

hehe im gate crashing my way around all the diet forums, its so interesting reading everyones ideas and opinions, even the controversial ones ;) keeps my mind off food. Good luck everyone :)

I'm a recent convert too!

I'm loving WW and lost 4lb in the first week.
Again it's the portion control i needed and you do get to learn that on WW. What i love is if i decided to have a big fat greasy sausage roll it's not the end onf the world....just point it and cut down on something else.
Saying that i am still new to this so might just be novelty factor.....hope not!
Previously someone mentioned FREE soup??? What's that?
Win ♥

its soup made with all things that are zero points ie nearly all vegetables are zero points, garlic and stock cubes are no points. boil it up , blend it downand u got yourself a zero point soup

I seem to constantly flip between sw and ww. Just fallen of the wagon on sw again and only lost a few pounds which i'm pretty sure was just because i had the flu. The thing i struggle with is that on sw you can't really just grap a sandwich or a ready meal because they are high syns but on ww i get hungry because i'm used to eating half a pack of pasta. I'm determined to last longer then a week on ww, i give up too easily but this time i hope its different. TBH i think being on here will help alot, my hubby, as lovely as he is, is not very helpfull and will sit and munch on crisps and sweets while i've got cucumber sticks!
I think the other thing thats brill about ww is the snacks, i no they are a bit pricey but i'm just going to get what ever is on offer.

The first week is quite difficult although not as difficult as i thought it would be. you do learn to prioritise what you want quite fast tho, so you start thinking " shall i have a biscuit now or save points to have some chocolate later" etc etc . get used to vegetables, they will be your best friend from now on seeing as they are zero points, fish is another low point source of protein.

sw sounds tempting in some ways but ww is better for a normal life ie going out, take aways etc which sw doesnt accomodate for

sw does accommodate takeaways etc, I have lost almost 3 stone in 12 weeks on sw and had a chinese and indian takeaway last week and its done me no harm, its all about moderation.

different plans work for different people theres no good and no bad just different its no good if myths are set against either plan, it doesn't help anyone in a genuine attempt to lose weight.

I have tried ww it didnt work for me, but thats just me, no fault of ww :)

sw does accommodate takeaways etc, I have lost almost 3 stone in 12 weeks on sw and had a chinese and indian takeaway last week and its done me no harm, its all about moderation.

Fair enough i tried it very briefly once and they said to aim to have 5-15 syns a day, well a range of 10 is a rather large range i would have thought it would be set by your heigh weight etc etc is this not so?

I have 10 syns a day many people go up to 15 but I find 10 is ideal for me and what I want to use them on, but I have gone up to 15 if i'm going on the drink :D and I dont worry.

I suppose the closer I get to target the fewer syns I would have, but as someone has already said we have flexi syns which accommodate things such as meals out etc.

Heres a couple of examples of a few meals

Chicken and mushroom (340g serving), on red day (which I do ) is 5.5 syns, chicken chop suey with noddles is 9 syns, beef in black bean 5 syns and the list could go on.

As I said sw isnt for everyone and neither is ww, in fact it wasnt the diet that didnt work for me on ww it was the unfriendly group which put me off :sigh:

Just wish everyone luck on whichever plan they choose :D

ahhh well an unfriendly group just shouldnt exist they are all in the same boat afterall. why cant people just be nice, its not hard :(

I have to admit, i do find both groups in my area rather unfriendly. Odd thing is i just can't seem to put my finger on it, i think its a bit stricter then sw meetings. The group i'm at the moment is a but daunting because everyone seems to be on target or nearing target,

well i dont go to meetings so i cant really comment, i dont even subscribe online i just bought the books and diy it lol but maybe you'll get more into it as weeks go by, if not maybe trying just online?

Hi, I did WW in the past and lost 5 and half stone, unfortunately fell of the wagon and regained it all back! I decided to try SW and whilst I like the freedom of eating as much free foods as I like I still missed treats and the freedom that WW offers regarding points. I honestly think that both eating plans are very successful but it is definitely up to the individual themselves. There is plus and minus points to both plans. I have therefore decided to switch back to WW and get my mind set on it!

I have to admit, i do find both groups in my area rather unfriendly. Odd thing is i just can't seem to put my finger on it, i think its a bit stricter then sw meetings. The group i'm at the moment is a but daunting because everyone seems to be on target or nearing target,

Just keep going. ;) I stay to all the classes and if im honest, i dont go for the people there i go for the ideas the leader comes up with. some are good, some are just a sales pitch. I have started talking to one woman, she joined the same day as me and we compare what we've eaten etc. but the others i dont talk to. honestly, i have no need.

I dont know what it costs in the UK, but here in Holland its 10euros per meeting, and there is a small discount if you advance pay 10 meetings worth..

I've just switched over to WW after being on SW for 6 weeks and only losing 7.5lbs. I've done WW before and I thought I'd give it another go.

Back