Has anyone ever done Body Pump and still lost weight?

My instructor last night reminded us that as BP increases muscle tone, it will automatically mean that our bodies burn more calories as muscle takes more work for the body to maintain than fat. He reckons its better at 'fat burning' than most cardio classes as the effects last beyond the time in class.

I have to say my shoulders and tops of arms look much better since doing it which is just as well as I will be wearing a strapless dress at a wedding in a few weeks.

Well I decided to be brave and went to Body Pump last night and what a fab class it was! Really enjoyed it, mind you I am paying for it now with my arms and legs being a bit tender!!! :D Will definately be going again! Lets hope it helps the lbs to come off! ;)

Really want to try Body Pump classes and there are a couple at my gym at good times............i'm just really scared!!

It's starting the first one that is the hardest! How do I go about picking the weights?? Do I just start with nothing or say 1kg and then build up?

If anyone has any first week tips i would be grateful!

xx

Really want to try Body Pump classes and there are a couple at my gym at good times............i'm just really scared!!

It's starting the first one that is the hardest! How do I go about picking the weights?? Do I just start with nothing or say 1kg and then build up?

xx

Just sent this to my sister so hope it helps!

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get there EARLY, at least 15 mins before class starts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get out the following equipment; [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bench[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 risers, 3 each side[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 x 2.5kg weights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 x 1 kg weights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two dumbbells, go for 2kg at first[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Track 1 Warmup 2.5 on bar either side[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 2 Squats add on your 1s to the 2.5. This should be your heaviest weight of the class. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 3 Chest 2.5 each side[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 4 Back add back your 1s[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 5 triceps 2.5 each side and you will also need a heavy weight to lift in your hands so go for a 5. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 6 biceps 2.5 each side[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 7 lunges 2.5 each side[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 8 shoulders 2.5 each side and you will also need your dumbbells for this one[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Track 9 abs probably nothing[/FONT]

Obviously as you get used to the class after a few times you will want to start increasing your weights gradually. I am now lifting 20kg on squat track.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks!

Just worried i'll end up with weights I can't lift and look like an idiot!

I usually do a step or dance based class so this is new to me with all the bits and pieces!

I think you are right though - I will get there early to sort myself out and the instructors are usually pretty good anyway and willing to help!!

Thanks again Esther

xx

xx

Get there a bit early and the instructor should talk you through the weights.

You will start off using the lightest ones for everything. Then you can add as you go. The instructor will introduce each track and say whether it is a big or small muscle group about to be worked and you can adjust your weights acordingly. You take them on and off throughout the session.

I kept the yellow ones on for all exercises the first 3 or 4 weeks. They are 1.25kg each. I now use a green and a yellow on each end of the bar for some of the exercises - total 7.5kg. Some women in the group use 2 orange on each end which total 20kg!

I dont use any weights at all for lunges as I find them really really tough and have quite enough weight of my own to be moving up and down without adding more for my legs!:D

Def try it, its great!

Back