Has anyone got a male consultant

AnnaFaraday said:
My "neighbour from hell" joined our group and I was horrified! But I wasn't going to let her presence affect me - sure enough, she fell out with the weighing lady, the consultant, and a couple of other members in the first two weeks, and stopped coming.

Thats seriously good going! Must have been a horrible piece of work!

It's awful when people make you feel so uncomfortable, especially when you are all there for the same thing.

Brian (my consultant) rang me yesterday to see how I was going so that was nice. I used to get text messages from my old consultant so it threw me a bit.

Had to explain to hubby who Brian was though, getting strange phone calls from men may appear a little odd to him :D

Thats seriously good going! Must have been a horrible piece of work!

Oh you have no idea! She is so dreadful that I have been known to hide in my garage rather than have to deal with her. She has fallen out with every single person in our block of flats - and yet, funnily enough, nothing ever seems to be her fault!

Update on my new consultant...oh dear i'm not really enjoying it :( I so hope it improves.

He is extremely patronising and talks to people like they are children and seems to be so hyper and over the top and when he talks to you he doesn't seem that interested and skims over what you are saying.

The class is not huge, but he seems to be more concerned on selling his products, bring a friend, magazines, be a sw consultant night, SOS logs, all his recipes books each one last night he gave a sales pitch for.

Also there was a lady complaining that she is not losing weight despite eating really healthy and off side plates she put on 3.5lbs this week, but she said she goes to the gym everyday so she thinks she is gaining muscle and it weighs more than fat.

He agreed and said that yes this would happen with all the lifting she was doing.

Now forgive me but doesn't a lb of muscle weigh as much as a lb of fat. She's only been going the gym 2 weeks.

I understand that you may regain a little fluid after training due to the repairing of muscles etc.

Thing is the district and regional managers were in last night and seemed to be agreeing with him.

When I lost 5 stone following sw and going to the gym I still lost while going to the gym. If you are going to put on weight while exercising why the push on body magic.

Sorry rant over :D

Normal service has resumed and the good news is I lost 6 lbs. :D

Hmm, I wonder if he was hyper and doing his sales pitch thing because the area and regional managers were in?

As for the gym thing, I guess it's water retention, but 3.5lb?? I suspect something else is creeping in maybe?

Well done on your fantastic loss! what a great week :)

Hmm, I wonder if he was hyper and doing his sales pitch thing because the area and regional managers were in?

As for the gym thing, I guess it's water retention, but 3.5lb?? I suspect something else is creeping in maybe?

Well done on your fantastic loss! what a great week :)

Thanks......I thought the same thing about the sales pitch and he was probably nervous, but I remember him doing a similar thing last week with the recipe books

Will still give him the benefit of the doubt for the next couple of weeks and give him the month to try and win me over.

I know I was nervous about joining and I promise I am not being over critical i'm really not.

There just doesn't seem to be any warmth there if you know what I mean, a genuine interest unlike my last consultant :(

It just seems all business. I like a happy medium maybe i'm just hard to please :D

xx

Sorry just had to add i had to stop exercising as i was gaining and not losin i do assume it was likely to be water retention but still since i stopped ive had losses, not everybody sees losses when doing body magic although u do see the inches fall off cant win :) x (and i say all this in a friendly manner :) )

Well Done on your loss :D
What did this woman mean about eating off side plates and what was said about that? If she is doiing it to portion control maybe she isnt eating enough?

The lady was sat next to me and I said maybe you aren't eating enough to compensate for doing all the exercise (thats what happened to me). He did say that was a good pick up and started to discuss that.

I passed on the info I found on here, maybe this forum should be given as part of the literature :D

Sorry just had to add i had to stop exercising as i was gaining and not losin i do assume it was likely to be water retention but still since i stopped ive had losses, not everybody sees losses when doing body magic although u do see the inches fall off cant win :) x (and i say all this in a friendly manner :) )

I understand that about losing inches and fluid retention but thats not what they were saying they was saying that muscle weighed more than fat, which can't be true.

A pound is a pound. When at school we used to have a trick maths question what weighs more a lb of feathers or a lb of steal everyone used to say the steal..obviously :eek:.. but in reality they weigh the same and everyone got it wrong.

If he had said it could be water retention or similar I could have understood :D:D

I understand that about losing inches and fluid retention but thats not what they were saying they was saying that muscle weighed more than fat, which can't be true.

A pound is a pound. When at school we used to have a trick maths question what weighs more a lb of feathers or a lb of steal everyone used to say the steal..obviously :eek:.. but in reality they weigh the same and everyone got it wrong.

Muscle does weight more than fat if you are comparing the same *volume*.

If you filled a bucket with fat and filled another bucket the same size with muscle the bucket of muscle would weight more, it has greater density. Similarly if you filled a bucket with feathers and the same size bucket with lead the lead bucket would weigh more, it has a greater density.

You're missing the point in the trick question, which is comparing a *pound to a pound* which are obviously the same - a pound of feathers would be a lot BIGGER than a pound of lead - the lead might fill half a cup maybe, but you would need a lot of bags to fit a pound of feathers in!

This lady would need to be doing some serious weight training to be gaining weight due to increased muscle volume.

Water retention, or she ain't sticking to the plans properly (eating from a side plate???).

But we are not comparing by volume :confused: it doesn't matter what item you weigh just because a lb of muscle is smaller than a lb of fat they still weigh the same surely :)

Consultants are under quite a lot of pressure to sell SW goods - but they get very little of that money to keep for themselves.

I helped a friend of mine when she was first starting out as a consultant, as she was so nervous about getting up to talk to a room full of people and I have had public speaking experience so could give her some tips.
She said there was so much to remember from all the information she had been given from head office, and it was a few weeks before she could settle down and be herself.

Don't underestimate how difficult it is for a consulant starting out - I am sure he will settle into it soon.

I don't underestimate that Anna. He isn't just starting out he has a perfected salesmans patter :D he can link any topic to an item for sale.

He has being doing this for nearly 2 years now.

I would never do anything to remotely belittle someone starting out ever :(

But we are not comparing by volume :confused: it doesn't matter what item you weigh just because a lb of muscle is smaller than a lb of fat they still weigh the same surely :)

Yes of course they weigh the same, *by definition*, "a pound" of anything weighs *the same as* "a pound" of anything else - whether it's lead, wood, fat, tress, thin air - that IS the trick question!

But that has nothing to do with whether you are gaining muscle after exercise :confused: Volume is entirely missing the point - both exercise *and* dieting one would hope would lead to a loss in volume - ie we get thinner and/or more toned! The fact remains more exercise you do the more muscle you build up. A bodybuilder can weigh a huge amount despite being a hell of a lot smaller than you or I!

At the end of the day its highly unlikely this lady put on 3.5lb in a week from going to the gym! But there endless other possible reasons for it - a heavy meal, drinking a lot that day, constipation, water retention, time of the month, different clothing, not eating enough so her metabolism slows down, even dodgy scales. At the end of the day you dont judge weight loss on a one-off reading, its irrelevant as it varies so much from day to day and throughout the day. It only matters if after say, a month she's still not losing.

At the end of the day its highly unlikely this lady put on 3.5lb in a week from going to the gym! But there endless other possible reasons for it - a heavy meal, drinking a lot that day, constipation, water retention, time of the month, different clothing, not eating enough so her metabolism slows down, even dodgy scales. At the end of the day you dont judge weight loss on a one-off reading, its irrelevant as it varies so much from day to day and throughout the day. It only matters if after say, a month she's still not losing.

This is my believe 100%, but she believes its because muscle weighs more than fat and he agreed. That's my point.

There was no other explanation he gave for it, surely that is wrong is it not.

That's all I was saying :D

I understand the advantages of replacing the fat for muscle and the possibilities of gaining weight because of it, bring it on.

But that's not what was being said.

Also i'm a big advocate for doing weightloss over a month not week to week.

Edit: the regional manager did point out it would take a year of heavy work out to gain muscle like that rather than a couple of weeks.

I don't underestimate that Anna. He isn't just starting out he has a perfected salesmans patter :D he can link any topic to an item for sale.

He has being doing this for nearly 2 years now.

I would never do anything to remotely belittle someone starting out ever :(

Oh I am sorry, I missed the point completely - just ignore me!!!

This is my believe 100%, but she believes its because muscle weighs more than fat and he agreed. That's my point.

There was no other explanation he gave for it, surely that is wrong is it not.

That's all I was saying :D

I think it's a problem of communication, words get missed out in everyday language. If you take these words (*and only* these words) literally then of course "a pound" of anything weighs the same as "a pound" of anything else - de facto, by definition.

But what your consultant was trying to say is that if we compared, say, a handful of fat to a handful of muscle (ie the same volume) the handful of muscle would weigh more. A handful of potatoes *weighs more* than a handful of lettuce. Of course "a pound" of potatoes and "a pound" of lettuce *weigh* the same - but "a handful" of each *do not* weigh the same because they take up a different amount of space as they have different densities.

But this is kind of defeating the motivational point of trying to explain it in the first place if you don't see the point so Im leaving it there :)

I think it's a problem of communication, words get missed out in everyday language. If you take these words (*and only* these words) literally then of course "a pound" of anything weighs the same as "a pound" of anything else - de facto, by definition.

But what your consultant was trying to say is that if we compared, say, a handful of fat to a handful of muscle (ie the same volume) the handful of muscle would weigh more. A handful of potatoes *weighs more* than a handful of lettuce. Of course "a pound" of potatoes and "a pound" of lettuce *weigh* the same - but "a handful" of each *do not* weigh the same because they take up a different amount of space as they have different densities.

But this is kind of defeating the motivational point of trying to explain it in the first place if you don't see the point so Im leaving it there :)

No problem, I see what you are saying but thats not what he was saying.

He was saying that 3.5lb was gained through lifting at the gym for 2 weeks.

No other explanation was offered. That was my point Wish i'd not said anything now :D

Back