Has anyone SS'd with a BMI over 40?

Just to quash the 'making more money' idea. Charging clients an extra 25% in this economic climate is not a sensible business model so the 4 packs has more to do with taking calories over the magic 600 number than trying to be like Lighter Life

As far as I am concerned that is correct, there is still SS, which is 3 packs a day for female under 5ft 8" and 4 a day for males and females over 5ft 8". As this is below 600Kcal your doctor needs notifying.

SS+ is 615Kcal, therefore as it is over 600Kcal and therefore under Nice guideline has different rules, to cover this Cambridge introduced the 2 options,
option 1 is 3 packs a day plus the 200Kcal meal
option 2 is 4 packs a day plus the skimmed milk allowance.

This was done in my opinion to allow clients to still take food out of the equation but to get the Calories over the 600Kcal a day.

Hope this makes sense, it isn't to do with making more money, it was done to ensure Cambridge continued to meet the guidelines set out for VCLD.

Thanks so much Mrs C. The new guidelines do state that anyone who's BMI of 40 or over should start on a higher plan although, as she says, there are some circumstances where SS or SS+ may be permitted.

As for making more money, don't forget that the Step 2 plan is 3 packs plus one conventional meal per day so you wouldn't be buying more packs per week.

As always your consultant will be best placed to advise you as he/she will be able to liaise with the CWP medical department for assistance on your behalf.

I've restarted today after a while off CD (put on everything I lost and more :eek:). I'm with a new CDC and she has told me because my BMI is over 50 I can't start SS. I pretty much said I wouldn't do a higher plan because I may as well just do WW's if I'm going to eat - I DON'T LOSE WEIGHT EATING FOOD!!!! I just can't control myself without the rules being as strict as CD, I won't even eat bars when on it! She was really unsure about it and said she would have to check with head office and ask my doctor to sign a form (which I knew I would anyway as I'm over 40BMI), but when I spoke to her today she seemed OK with me doing the SS. She doesn't know I've started today using my Mom's spare packs because she can't see me until tomorrow though (shhh! I wanted the full wkend to get into Ketosis).

If it turns out I can't I will be absolutely crushed, I found out that I can't have weight loss surgery because I'm too healthy (they won't do it until I've got diabeties or sleep apnea), and the weightloss 'support' my GP and local NHS offers is all during week days daytime, which is no good at all for me in a busy job.

To be honest if my CDC says no I will just work my way through the list on the website until I find someone who says yes, or fork out the extra for Lighter Life! The cost isn't the big issue for me it's the thought of having to make food choices at the moment that scares me!

Back