Has anyone SS'd with a BMI over 40?

lshafik

I am trying to do it this week so I can lose 7lbs for my holiday but I am worried as I am probably not really allowed to do it.

If you have then I will feel better doing it.

Regards,

Leah
x

Yes you can do it with a BMI over 40, I don't know why you would think you couldn't?!!

You do have to have the form signed by your Dr though.

Yes I have ss'd with BMI over 40 and so have many other people, successfully!

Oh yes. :D

Cambridge have only recently changed the rules. I daresay they have their reasons, but I and 1000s of others seemed to manage just fine before.

I think my BMI was close to 43 when I started the first time...

Oh yes. :D

Cambridge have only recently changed the rules. I daresay they have their reasons, but I and 1000s of others seemed to manage just fine before.

I think my BMI was close to 43 when I started the first time...

True! Mine was 44 I think :eek: Didn't realise rules had changed though?? I knew Dr had to sign form if BMI over 40 - can you not do ss now if it's over 40?

Seems silly, I did fine with it! Went on to loose 8 stone! :p

Well I think i will chop and change...I will SS till tuesday night as I have a works do and they have kindly asked the chef at the hotel to do a SS+ meal for me! WHICH HE IS! (How nice is that?!?)

Then on holiday I am going to SS + the whole time I am there...plus I will be swimming most of the time too...if I don't lose 3lbs while i am away I will be shocked!

Weird if they have changed it. People with BMI over 40 are surely the ones that most need SS. I strted with BMI 44 in 2006 and did SS for 13 weeks.

my BMI was 53 and I ss'ed from day one.
its never done me any harm.

I'm trying to check this one out but not getting very far.

But I keep reading that Cambridge Head Office have recently changed the rules so that SS is no fewer than 4 packs a day.

I had a look on the official Cambridge forum and as recently as yesterday, one of the moderators there who's also a CWPC declared this to be rubbish and that you can still SS on 3 packs.

Anyone here a CWPC who might happen to know the definitive answer? :confused:

my cdc said to me that she had a memo about a month ago saying that all NEW clients with BMI over 40 must go on higher plan than ss.
however, she wasnt given an actual reason for this and it also said that existing clients with BMI over 40 were safe to continue with their current plan, including SS.
its all very confusing. surely if there was a real risk they would be demanding all existing clients with 40+ BMI convert to a higher plan. :confused:

Thanks for that, Cheryl.

Though call me cynical, but I suspect the real reason has something to do with money. 4 packets costs more than 3...

I guess they've seen that LL do 4 packs a day and have decided to jump on the wagon.

Thanks for that, Cheryl.

Though call me cynical, but I suspect the real reason has something to do with money. 4 packets costs more than 3...

I guess they've seen that LL do 4 packs a day and have decided to jump on the wagon.

i am inclined to agree with u lily.
im pretty sure if there were any medical reason they wouldnt be taking any medical risks with their ongoing above BMI 40 clients. therefore money is the only other thing that makes sense.

My BMI is 51.5 and my CDC said I can start on SS. Think it'll be easier taking food out of the equasion completley.

i started at a bmi 60 and i was ssing

my cdc told me new rules if i was starting at bmi 60 now i would be on 1000 plan with regular checks from gp and since im bmi over 40 still now i should be doing 810 but were ignoring that fact

Hi girls

The current rules set by CWP head office stipulate that anyone with a BMI of 40 or over has to get their GPs approval before commencing on a SS program.

Once approved, it would still be OK to SS on 3 packs per day (provided you are under 5'8") as long as the GP is able to confirm there aren't any underlying medical conditions or contra-indications (your consultant will be able to advise you on what these are).

If you decide to opt for the SS+program, which most of my clients do by the way, you could do either Option A (4 packs per day plus 200 mls of skimmed milk) OR Option B (3 packs per day plus a 200 calorie meal but no milk allowance).

I'm sorry that it's not the news you particularly want to hear, but it really is better to be safe than sorry .... and you can still do SS on 3 packs per day if you want once your GP signs your medical record form.

Hope this helps :)

I have ss since the start BMI over 50 had no problems. Did get medical form signed. I wanted food out of the equation for a while so I could try and overcome my cravings.

Hi girls

The current rules set by CWP head office stipulate that anyone with a BMI of 40 or over has to get their GPs approval before commencing on a SS program.

Once approved, it would still be OK to SS on 3 packs per day (provided you are under 5'8") as long as the GP is able to confirm there aren't any underlying medical conditions or contra-indications (your consultant will be able to advise you on what these are).

If you decide to opt for the SS+program, which most of my clients do by the way, you could do either Option A (4 packs per day plus 200 mls of skimmed milk) OR Option B (3 packs per day plus a 200 calorie meal but no milk allowance).

I'm sorry that it's not the news you particularly want to hear, but it really is better to be safe than sorry .... and you can still do SS on 3 packs per day if you want once your GP signs your medical record form.

Hope this helps :)

Yes - but that's what I don't understand - cos those are the rules as I know them to be. I get those!

But I keep reading posts that suggest otherwise, like the ones actually in this thread:

i started at a bmi 60 and i was ssing

my cdc told me new rules if i was starting at bmi 60 now i would be on 1000 plan with regular checks from gp and since im bmi over 40 still now i should be doing 810 but were ignoring that fact

my cdc said to me that she had a memo about a month ago saying that all NEW clients with BMI over 40 must go on higher plan than ss.
however, she wasnt given an actual reason for this and it also said that existing clients with BMI over 40 were safe to continue with their current plan, including SS.
its all very confusing. surely if there was a real risk they would be demanding all existing clients with 40+ BMI convert to a higher plan. :confused:

It would appear that CWPCs appear to be telling their new clients that they can't SS if they have a BMI of 40+ even with a signed form from the doctor.

Is there new guidance from Head Office?

Last edited:
Well I think should be my choice - I buy the packs and I suppose who is going to know! My CDC has advised me to do SS+ so it is my choice what I do on a daily basis.

I think if I make sure I have 3 a day but the 4th one if I need it (or remember)

I will be doing 4 on Saturday and Sunday as I need the energy for Sunday (and the willpower to get me through the day as I will be surrounded by free Nando's food!)

x

On the website its says this

*Individuals with a BMI 40 and above may not commence on Step 1, but may do so following a period of time on a higher calorie intake. Your Cambridge Consultant will advise you.

I have posted this on the other thread as well but just to clarify ref starting Cambridge with a BMI of over 40.

Right the official guidelines from Cambridge Medical Team have changed recently, anyone with a BMI over 40 is not allowed to SS or SS+.

Attached is a chart to which we have to follow, giving guideline of the different BMI over 40 dependant on if you are male or female. There are reasons for this change to the protocol and if in doubt please discuss it with you Cambridge Weight Plan Consultant who can always if need be put in a medical request to our HO about particular circumstances.

I hope that this answers your queries.

he guideline is there for clients starting the plan with a higher BMI, there is always circumstances where you could be on a lower plan, these need to be discussed with you CWPC. So in some instances yes you could possibly be on SS/SS+ when above BMI 40.

Attachments

• bmi 40+.png
    bmi 40+.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 3,198
Last edited:
Just to quash the 'making more money' idea. Charging clients an extra 25% in this economic climate is not a sensible business model so the 4 packs has more to do with taking calories over the magic 600 number than trying to be like Lighter Life (also, I dunno about now, but 5 years ago, LL foodpacks were made by Roche, just like CD's - they're just measured into different quanities and packaged differently)

Back