Have manners disappeared?

Pommette

Trying - very!
Are people no longer taught manners?
On another forum I post on someone was looking for a 3-bedroom apartment for friends - in a specific part of our resort.
I sent him an email telling him ours was available and that it was a 2-minute stroll from his.

That was 5 days ago. So far he hasn't bothered to reply or even acknowledged that's he's got the email, although I know he has as I put a read receipt on it. I was always taught to reply to people and say thank you for the info even if it wasn't what I was looking for.
The number of enquiries we get that I never get a reply to drives me mad!

Grrrrr

It is annoying when people don't reply. You can't be sure that they have seen what you have sent, or deleted it by mistake, or misunderstood it. And it is not as if it is much of an effort to do a brief response.It happens here too - someone asks for some information, about syns or something like that, someone helpfully answers, and then there is no response from the original poster. Annoying.

And yes Bev, I agree and I think out technological world is partly to blame. People aren't seen, or even known much of the time, so I guess it is thought that manners aren't required. In fact, I think the thought isn't even there - if that makes any sense.

Sad, but true.

It would drive me round the bend too!! Manners and common courtesy cost nothing. It would have taken him only a few seconds to type the words 'Thank you' and hit the send button...

Manners are sadly long gone in this world.

I was selling our car on eBay a few months back. It was my daughters birthday when I started the listing, at around 1pm, and we went to Blackpool to see the lights that night. Within about half a hour of me listing the car, someone emailed me asking for some pictures. I replied and asked for his email address, and told him I would send the pictures as soon as I could. He replied shortly after with his email address, nothing else, however it was almost dark by this point and we were rushing around to set off to Blackpool so I didn't get chance to take any pictures, but would have done as soon as I could the following day.

The next morning I got another message at around 8.30am that simply said 'where are these pictures then' no hello, goodbye, kiss my backside, nothing! I sent him a reply that simply said 'try looking for them in the gutter along with your manners'. I then received several abusive messages that I had to report to eBay.

My response was perhaps rude and uncalled for, but this impatient ignorant idiot had riled me so much, that I wouldn't have sold him the car if he was the last man on earth!!

MANNERS.............. most people can not even spell it these days.

I always think it is my age that makes me expect good manners.

I just don't get it. I was brought up with good manners by parents who expected us to send thank you letters to friends and relatives, to say please and thank you etc.etc. I brought my son up the same way, he in turn brought our grandchildren up that way as well so were did all the bad mannered, rude people come from.

Bev. do not give him a seconds thought. He so obviously is not worth a jot,

hugs xxxxx

Didn't we used to have a 'Thanks' button next to 'Like' or 'Reputation' buttons?

It was quicker than having to type a reply (unless there was more you wanted to add), kept the thread a bit shorter but let the responder know that you were grateful for their input.

Minimunchkins said:
Didn't we used to have a 'Thanks' button next to 'Like' or 'Reputation' buttons?

It was quicker than having to type a reply (unless there was more you wanted to add), kept the thread a bit shorter but let the responder know that you were grateful for their input.

Very true but the thing is, I think a lot of use the iPad, iPhone or android app and there's none of these buttons :-( only put the pc on a couple of times a week and then I rep like mad!!!

Very true but the thing is, I think a lot of use the iPad, iPhone or android app and there's none of these buttons :-( only put the pc on a couple of times a week and then I rep like mad!!!

Ah, I checked on My Profle page and it lists the number of Likes I gave and the number I received. .Perhaps you're right about why it was removed.

The Reputation stumps me too - I've tried to Rep people who I've obvioulsy Rep'd before (goodness knows how long ago) and I get a message saying I've got to spread it around a bit before i can Rep this person again - irrelevant that they might really deserve it (IMHO). Guess this would be to stop friends Rep'ing each other for the sake of it.

I have always been taught to say please and thank you, hold doors, and it angers we greatly that other people don't bother. My son is 4, and he has also been taught 'please' and 'thank you', 'Taaaa' since he was under 1! People always comment on how polite he is, but I can't help but wonder is that just because its something that isn't seen as often now?

You were taught to be polite, you are teaching your son to be polite, and so it goes on. Children don't behave well as a matter of course, we have to teach them. Which isn't always easy, but worth it!! Good for you.

Back