Head

Lil_Mrs_Sunshine

Spring Challenge!
Despite the amount of times I have tried to diet the past year I just cant seem to stick to it. Do you find your head has to be in the right place for dieting to be a success?

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get my head in the right space?

Deffinatlly!! At the moment One minute "I'm yes I'm doing this". The next I'm "Diet what diet?Pass the chocy".

I'm going to Italy to visit friends later in the year. Once I've booked my ticket I'll be on track but till then I need to stop making excuses.
The only person you can diet for is yourself. You have to want to change and focus on the change...

I could do with taking my own advise!!!

Defiantly i just wish i knew how to get my head into the right place every time i start a diet i do well for a couple of weeks and then bang i think forget it ill always be fat pass the fat laden food!

Agree completely. For dieting I have to be 'in the mood' and when that goes then, forget it. That is why I have found healthy eating far more successful. I am not on a diet so I can not come off it. I don't have to feel guilty either. The weight loss is very slow but I am learning to live with that and it is great not having a constant struggle with myself.

SilverS

I think it's good to change your lifestyle and not just a crash diet. With food, look at portion size, use a smaller sized plate.
Write down your food intake in a food diary-you can do one on this website!:) Tracking your weight loss is also motivating as it shows how much progress you're making and stirs you to keep going.

I also find carrying success stories of people who've Weight Watchers/Slimming World/ (whatever plan you're on) is motivating. I choose a woman of similar age and build to myself so it's as close to myself as possible. I do read what tips best work for them and try to incorporate them, because I figure that if it worked for them, then it will work for me.

Be your own best friend too. :) Easier said than done but negativity will only have you reaching for the biscuit tin! If you haven't done as well as you'd have liked, dust it off, wipe the slate clean and start again.

Well said debgirlx

I am currently working through the Beck book 'how to think like a thin person' (I see ther eis a seperate thread about it but as a newbie I can't access it yet) but I am finding it quite useful as it aims to get your head inthe right place, and that has always been my problem, not changing my long term thinking but always telling myself the diet was only temporary then going back to my old habits. Am 6 days in of a 42 day plan. and already feeling quite positive about the effect it is having.

write down what has worked in the past - even small victories.

now write down what has not worked.

it seems that many people blame themselves for failing to lose weight when in actual fact they are just doing something ineffective.

you are not your actions - its easier to see what you do in terms of good/bad decisions rather than good/bad willpower

My head has been all over the place lately!! The one thing I know I have to do is keep trcack of what I eat (write it down) and keep a diary of my day (O.K. thats 2 things).If I keep a diary and I mess up with my eating that day I can go over what happened and see if there is something I could do to prevent it happening again..

I suffer from depression and paranoia and most of it is from being bullied in school. I can barely look in the mirror because I belive myself to be so ugly. I am very negative about myself in general. I know logically that I'm grossly overweight and this time I'm trying to lose weight for myself and my future health. I am attemping to deal better with my mental issues and sorting my physical issues at the same time.
I have good days, I have bad days but I know I can do it! I beat self-harm and if I got through the struggle of beating that I can get through anythin!
Sorry to depress you all! I felt like being extremely honest

Spice it up a bit! Have yoghurt with it or change the fruit, or try a low cal snack bar like special k or sumthin. Cucumber sticks anythin lol. Try to hav variety in snacks to make it less tedious.
And when u feel down talk to sum1

i'm doing beck to and one think she tells you to do is read your reasons for doing this every day and i think this helps me no end that and cd has been quicker for me so i haven't had time to get bored yet.

I was having real problems keeping on track until I sat down and wrote myself an essay/letter. I just reminded myself of all the c**p I went through when I was younger (abused at home, bullied at school). Then wrote down where I am know. Although I may not be rich and famous, I may not have been to Macho Pitcho(?), I may not own my own pony stud. I do have a man who takes good care of me, friends I can turn to when I need them and on the whole a happy life.

People who haven't had a rough childhood don't understand it can still have a hold on you as an adult. Sadly it can.. I was given a bit of advice that works for me...

Imagen a big oak door (large house type). Now put all the bad memories behind it and shut the door. It only opens if you let it... It's a simple suggestion but I find on the whole very effective.

Chin up and don't let the b****r's get you down :D

I'm changing my habits, one at a time and I feel this is more sustainable than a crash-diet type of thing.

Weight Watchers have "Ten Winning Habits" that I'm focusing on right now:

1. Make wise food choices
2. Get active (exercise!)
3. Sort your surroundings (get rid of junk food etc in the house, replace it with healthier food, do a weekly foodshop)
4. Measure and record (your weight loss, your food and exercise, your portion sizes)
5. Plan ahead (plan your meals and exercise for the week ahead)
6. Learn from experience (if something has tripped you up before, dont do it again! Learn from it)
7. Manage your thoughts (think positive "can't", "should", "ought to" are negative words-replace them with "I would like to". Believe that you *can* lose weight and you will lose it)
8. Manage your feelings (distract yourself if you have emotional hunger cravings, take yourself away from the food, get a new hobby/something else to do etc)
9. Take care of yourself
10. Get support (of someone)

Also the 3 W's as I've heard them called-Water, Walk, Write Down. Get your 8 glasses of water per day/2 litres of water at least, walk (for exercise), and write down (what you're eating and how much exercise you're doing).

I really think exercise is the key. When you exercise regularly, you can maintain a certain weight easily enough. If you don't exercise, then any little binge etc will result in a weight gain.

I also don't think of food as emotional anymore-I just think of it as fuel. I think of my body as a machine that needs fuel and that has to burn off that fuel. I find this analogy helps me x

best of luck to everyone with their weight loss journey.

I definately think being in a positive mindset helps. Dieting is difficult, so it's best to diet when everything is calm at home and work.

The motivational stories in the Slimming World magazine are really inspiring. I buy the magazine, even though I am not following that diet plan.

I also prefer to try a new diet I have not followed before. Somehow a new plan is more motivational. After trying lots of fads, which I could never stick to, I am following a calorie controlled plan instead.

Before starting my diet I also considered the following:
- when would be the best time to start (I chose a Bank Holiday, so I could rest if I felt tired or hungry)
- what diet to follow (I chose Diet Chef, as I didn't have the energy to prepare food)
- how much time I had to go shopping (very little)
- choosing a diet I could follow while at work in the week (I take soup or shakes to work)
- support (luckily I found this site)

Back