Healthy extras and syns

Hello

Sorry if this has been asked before.... I have looked back a few days and can't find the answer.

Yesterday, being weigh-in day, I had a chicken shish kebab for dinner which took me a few syns over. But, I hadn't eaten my scan bran to go with my porridge for my Healthy Extra so I still had it. Was this right?

Thanks

Shirley :)

pYes, that's right. 28g Porridge plus a scanbran is HEB. Without the scanbran you should really syn the porridge (5 syns, I think).

Denise

Sorry to hijack your thread, Shirley! Denise, did your consultant tell you that if you only manage to eat half of a portion of your HEX or HEB you have to syn it? I'm doing SW online and I haven't read anything about that.

I've never heard this rule about synning portions of Hexes before but I've heard it twice today. I think it's a rumour. The reason we have HEX is to keep our nutrients up such as fibre and calcium. If you only manage half your Hex it's better than nothing so it would be irresponsible of SW to tell you to syn it. It might even put people off having them altogether "just in case" it's syns, so I wouldn't worry. Hope I'm right or I'll be writing a letter! :) x

Sorry to hijack your thread, Shirley! Denise, did your consultant tell you that if you only manage to eat half of a portion of your HEX or HEB you have to syn it? I'm doing SW online and I haven't read anything about that.

I was told that if you don't have the full amount it doesn't count as a HEx.

Denise

I was told that if you don't have the full amount it doesn't count as a HEx.

Denise

Meaning that you don't get your full amount of calcium/protein/fibre not that you then need to syn it instead. And if you are eating a healthy balanced diet you will be picking up these from other foods as well so it should not be an issue.

Can Light philadelphia be used as a healthy extra? i cant rember :)

Only a HEB and then only on the green plan. Not a HEA on any plan I'm afraid.

"I was told that if you don't have the full amount it doesn't count as a HEx."

Well, that's not what my books OR my C says. Of course, our efforts to eat a full, balanced diet, SW would PREFER that we use our full allocation of HEs, but there is NO requirement to syn the 'leftovers' of you don't use them all. That's like saying if you skip a HE (also NOT recommended), then you have to add 6 syns to your food diary for that day?! lol

roflmao!

Thanks for the replies... and sorry for the delay in responding! I still trying to work this site out...

My understanding was that you either have to eat ALL the HEX (e.g. you have to eat the scan bran AND the porridge) for it to count. If you don't eat it all, then you don't get the right amount of fibre, calcium, etc so you have to syn the bit you have eaten. It's almost worth 5 syns to avoid those scan bran things!!!

Thanks again

Shirley

hi, i did ask my 'c' about splitting HE's on EE such as 1/2 milk and 1/2 cheese and she said it was fine:D

My understanding was that you either have to eat ALL the HEX (e.g. you have to eat the scan bran AND the porridge) for it to count. If you don't eat it all, then you don't get the right amount of fibre, calcium, etc so you have to syn the bit you have eaten. It's almost worth 5 syns to avoid those scan bran things!!!

Thanks again

Shirley

You would not get the full amount of fibre/calcium/protein but it is not said anywhere in the SW literature (that I am aware of) that this means you need to syn it. And if you are eating a healthy balanced diet you will get these nutrients from other foods in your diet as well

pYes, that's right. 28g Porridge plus a scanbran is HEB.

Can I have a Ryvita instead of a yukky horrible scanbran and count it as a HexB?

Back