Healthy Thai options?

Mosschops

Hi everyone,

I'm meeting the girls for a few drinks and something to eat in Busaba, which is a Thai chain of restaurants, tonight. They've got the full menu on their website but no nutritional information at all so I have no idea what my healthiest option might be.
I am calorie counting so need to have a nice meal without completely ruining my efforts!

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Ah yes, I know Busaba. Their food is absolutely stunning!

Avoid a starter if you can. For main I'd suggest the Tom yam talay or Kweito sen mee if soup noodle is your thing. If you want something substantially less liquid, go for the char-grilled swordfish or the Som tam or Yam pak salads.

Rice and noodles are surprisingly high in calories, and anything in the Wok noodle and Stir-fry columns have a lot of surface area to which all the lovely oil they've been fried in can attach itself. Thai curry also tends to have a lot of oil and coconut milk - both very delicious and very fattening.

If you have the swordfish, see if someone else will go halves on rice with you so that you don't have a whole portion yourself, and don't have the coconut rice - delicious as it is, it's far more calorific than the sticky or jasmine options.

Have fun!

Thanks CrazyBrit, that's brilliant advice.

I used to love their Yellow Curry Prawn in the Stir Fry section but they don't offer it any more so the temptation won't be there! I reckon the Tom yam talay might be the way to go.

Now I know what I can have I can actually relax and enjoy my evening, especially as I know that I can have a few vodka and slimline tonics too!

Ah, be careful with alcohol. I don't want to pour a total dampener on your evening, but it's not just the calories in the drink you need to worry about. Alcohol turns to acetate in your body, which effectively stops you burning fat so readily.

Yes, unfortunately I have heard that. I think 3-4 single vodkas over the course of the evening will be a reasonable trade-off, especially as they will be the only alcoholic drinks I'll be having until at least this time next week :)

Back