Hello All - Sundodgers food diary

sundodger

Hi, I have spent the last week on LT but I am having to stop for a while due to the ammount of running I am having to do to pass my fitness test at work. I have lost 9lbs on it.

I am going for something low (ish) in carbs and low in calories.

My meals for day have been:-

A banana for breakfast (not stricly low carb I know, but I was running first thing!).
Lunch was about 50g of mixed leaf salad.
Dinner is going to be slow cooked octopus, not sure what with yet.

I have never really had to plan my meals before, so it will take me a few attempts to get a good balance for my diet.

Not sure about tomorrow, but I really fancy a mushroom omlette for dinner with some salad. The rest will be a bit hit and miss!

Any advice and ideas would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Todays meals have been

An apple for breakfast
The left over octopus for lunch (yummy cold)
Pork chop grilled to death with more mushy peas (must do some shopping tomorrow!!!)

Weight is still dropping, have lost four more pounds since Wednesday lunchtime.

Todays meals have been:-

Apple for breakfast
One egg omelette (no milk) with 60g smoked salmon and 2 thin slices of edam for lunch.
Tea was one tomato, big handful of mixed salad leaves and a small tin of sardines in tomato sauce.

Hi Sundodger, That is such a low calorie diet especially if you are doing a lot of running! Are you under doctors advice for that, I wonder?
Am interested, however, inthe low carb aspect as being diabetic that's what I am supposed to watch as well. So will be following your posts to see what you are doing....:)

All the best for your continued efforts.

Hi Emmaline, its not deliberatley low calorie at the moment - I'm still coming to terms with having to plan meals and work out what is acceptable to eat.

I'm not under doctors advise to go low calorie (however after trying to lose weight for a year and nothing shifting the doctor did say the best way was to avoid calories!!!!!). I feel pretty good at the moment and have been drinking plenty of water, but I haven't done any running this weekend yet, just a spinning class yesterday.

The only real criterias I laid down for this stage of my dieting was:-

Next to no carbs, any carbs I do have will be from fruit and veg.
Relativley low in calories.
No red meat (apart from the odd bit of game).
No fruit juice, no milk, but plenty of proteins.

I'll keep posting my daily menus up and my WI's (they happen every Wednesday).

You could try switching your fruits to berries and melon, much lower carb than apples, and your veg - avoiding peas, carrots, parsnips etc and sticking with low carb veg. It does look like closer to a low calorie than low carb diet to me right now.

Hi Rosebud, I am aware that it is slightly high in carbs at the moment as I am still learning about what fruit and veg have high carb contents. The fruit for breakfast is deliberate as I tend to do running or cycling first thing so I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that these carbs will be burnt as energy fairly quickly. Over the next week I hope to have stabillised my menu a bit and increased the calories slightly and have minimum carbs - any recipe ideas would be appreciated.

For those interested, my menu today has been:-

One pear for breakfast.
60g tinned tuna and mixed salad leaves for lunch.
One egg scrambled egg (made with skimmed milk), some grated edam and mixed salad leaves for tea.

Sorry, Sundodger, but I really am concerned about your low calorie diet. Call me a fussy old nanny but that really can't be healthy especially with all that exercise as well!!
Have you visited the recipe section of this forum, you may pick up some good ones there.

Noticed your occupation!!?! Feel quite claustraphobic just the thought of it!..:D

I agree, low carb shouldn't be that low calorie as well. Sundodger, it sounds like you want a not too severe low carb diet - buy a copy of the south beach diet and start at 'the second phase of that. It will let you have some fruits and grains and you'll find meal plans in there. I think there's a south beach forum under other diets in here.

Or look at dukan, which is low fat and low carb, you can have yogurt but you'll have to ditch the fruit.

Making it up the way you are could be dangerous.

Hi Rosebug and Emmaline, you are right calories are too low at the moment to allow for running and cycling - this will be addressed tomorrow once I have been shopping. I have checked my list I am using for fruit and veg and apples are in the same bracket as a lot of berries and melon.

I will definatley have a look at the South Beach Diet and some of the recipes look okay - thanks for that Rosebug.

Small bowl of porridge made with skimmed mik (check on an Atkins list and it is okay for low carb apparently). No sugar or sweetners.

Had one small apple mid morning.

Lunch was a nice vegetable cuppa soup and another small apple.

Tea was another omelette with the remaining smoked salmon (about 100g)

Going to get some chicken and veg for tomorrow nights tea and maybe try and find some low carb bread for lunch (I miss sandwiches!!!).

Small bowl of porridge (again skimmed milk, no sugar)
120g Tin of Kippers in sunflower oil for lunch
150g(ish) chicken breast in cajun spices, dry fried. Served with steamed Pak Choi and spinach, avocado and mushrooms.

Not sure if you have a nutrition table, but I think there's about 19 or 20 grams of carbs in an apple alone. Good luck with your losses.

Not sure if you have a nutrition table, but I think there's about 19 or 20 grams of carbs in an apple alone. Good luck with your losses.

Thanks, I have just found that - the other website I have been using had put small apples in the same bracket as most berries and melon, whoops.

I'm off of them now anyway as I have a few more options in the house which are a bit closer to being low carb.

Weigh in is tomorrow lunchtime, so I am looking forward to seeing if I have lost anything over the last week.

Todays meals.....

Breakfast - Oatibix and skimmed milk
Lunch - Small tin of sardines in tomato sauce with loads of radishes.
Tea - 150g chicken breast stuffed with spinach and a small piece of cheddar, served with sauted spinach, savoy cabbage and Pak choi.

Only lost about a pound this week, but my uniform is now on its smallest adjustment and is still slightly too big, so I am happy. Hopefully shed a couple more pounds for next weeks WI.

I think most fruit is a bit of a no no when low carbing. Leafy green veg is ok though. I suppose it depends on how many carbs you are allowing yourself, or how many your body can take whilst losing weight a day.

Todays meals have been as follows:-

I was naughty today and did not have breakfast......
Lunch was rocket salad and a tin of sardines in spicy tomato sauce
Tea was a 120g Venison steak served with homemade guacamole, asparagus and savoy cabbage.

I have another venison steak for tomorrow, what to do with it..... posh omelette, grilled with salad or cajun???

B - 2 Oatibix with skimmed milk
L - Vegetable cuppa-soup (97cals) and a handful of radishes.
D- Sauted Venison Steak (120g) with warm beetroot puree, more radishes and a green leaf salad.

I've got back to some phys today after hurting my hamstrings last week and managed to do a 45 mintue spinning class, 30 minutes of interval training on a treadmill followed by a 7 minute mile on the treadmill with an incline of 2.0

2 oatibix have 63g carbs
100ml skimmed milk has 5g carbs
Average cup soup around 10-20g carbs
Beetroot boiled 50g has 5g carbs

At over 80g you're not really doing an especially low carb diet here. I'd call it low calorie with some carb cutting. Then again with all the exercise you can't have much to lose?

2 oatibix have 63g carbs
100ml skimmed milk has 5g carbs
Average cup soup around 10-20g carbs
Beetroot boiled 50g has 5g carbs

At over 80g you're not really doing an especially low carb diet here. I'd call it low calorie with some carb cutting. Then again with all the exercise you can't have much to lose?

Cheers for that, I had looked on an Atkins site that had said Oatibix are acceptable. Not that fussed as I don't like them much anyway. Scrambled eggs tomorrow for breakfast!

I'm finding it quite hard to get carb free, but I'm slowly going the right direction (even 80g is a massive improve on what I normally eat!). Aim tomorrow to get it to less than 15g.

Back