• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

help, chilli con wrong!

Hey girls. Tried to make chilli without a shwartz packet.. and its all gone tits up..

i went on lifelineonline.. and followed that, only prob being i didnt have paprika. but it tastes oober boring... i dont have many herbs and spices as its end of week and they all need replaceing..

help me..... xxxxx

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
I always find it can be a bit boring if i dont use packet (awful!!) i did one the other day though.. it was a bit tasteless but i put some worcester sauce in... that definately helped... and some beef stock...

hope it works out hun xx

i use a real chilli, garlic, 2 tsp chilli powder and a tin of tomatoes and a bit of tom puree, there will still be somthing missing which is paprika but it is definately edible

I never use a packet.

The 'chilli' flavour doesn't come from the chillies...the secret ingredient is cumin powder. You don't really need paprika - it does help but believe me, it's the cumin that will make it taste really like a chilli.
If you've got chillies and chilli powder whack that in too, obviously.

How many times can I get the word chilli into this post?! :D

Last edited:

victorial85

A moaning old boot!!!!
I always use a packet too. My one attempt at making it myself was awful. I have the extra hot chilli con carne packet and oh my god, it is fairly HOT!!!!!!!! I love it though x x x x x

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
Many thanks everyone, for the advice on making chilli from 'scratch'....I am actually enjoying getting back down to 'basic's' and following a recipe - It has been too easy to open a jar of 'cook in sauce in the past'.

Good luck with your Chilli Fern. X

jodidi

Silver Member
The 'chilli' flavour doesn't come from the chillies...the secret ingredient is cumin powder. :D
I made a chilli tonight, I put, garlic,tomatoes, chilli powder in then I put a good splash of worchester sauce in as a friend did this in her chilli. It was still missing something so I got the swchartz seasoning out and they do put cumin in and sugar so I add cumin and splenda oh, and a splash of balsamic vinegar and a bit of cinammon,it was very tasty!

judimac

Mad old Bat with Attitude
Always make mine from scratch too, syns are for more interesting things , like wine!

Anna*

You might already know this but I found out at weigh in this week that the 2 min microwave rice packets are a minimum of 2 syns each, its because of the oils used to stop the rice from drying out and exploding, myself and most of our members we really shocked, I hadn't even thought of it. Im completely addicted to chilli still, my fella is now fed up with it, im limited to once a week now :-( lol

Xxx

haha im limited to once a week too :( lol

Alright ladies, well i stuck lots of cumin in! and it did turn into a chilli tasting mix in the end! .. if i keep working at it i think it'd be okay lol

thanks ladies, really helpful! xxx