Help! Feeling so depressed!

I have been on Slimming World for 4 weeks now, the first 2 weeks I lost 4lb a week, the 3rd week I STS and this week I have actually gained a 1lb. I haven't cheated once, I do mainly red days with the occasional EE or green. I always have about 10-15 syns. The only thing that has changed is I have started running in the last 2 weeks I have been 3 times a week for 3 miles a time and also bike riding 10 miles twice a week. Is this the reason thag I haven't lost weight as my clothes are looser and I feel a lot better I just feel so bad that the scales don't reflect this as my friend who cheats and doesn't exercise is losing far more weight! I feel like giving up! Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any advice woukd be appreciated tia.

It's probably the exercise for now but if you keep at it tr scales will shift again and you lose those lovely inches too :) chin up xx

Don't loose heart you are doing sooo well.I found that when i execised for the first two weeks my body played up like yours is doing,but keep at it and you will reap the benifits.Yuor friend might be loosing the weight but you will sooon be loosing insches and weight but no flbby bits.

I've often read on here that peoples weight loss slows or stops temporarily when they start exercising. It won't be muscle building so soon, but the muscles retaining water in order to protect and repair themselves. It's good advice to measure yourself as that's proof positive that your body is changing. Keep up the good work and you'll soon see the results on the scales too, it'll just take some patience.

I'm in exactly the same boat hun.. I started the couch 2 5k programme 4 weeks ago and in that time I have lost .5lb 2 of the weeks and then an sts..
I suggest you take your measurents and monitor that way.. I have lost a significant amount of inches in that time .. Keep going and I am sure the scales will catch up with the both of us at some point x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've just joined the gym in the town where I live, although its still being built and should open at the end of September, but I was chatting to one of the fitness instructors when I signed up, and he said that he sees it all the time that people gain when they start exercising, as others have said, the muscles hold on to water to protect and repair themselves.He told me to measure inch loss so that I don't get disheartened when I start, and also that the weight will come off, it will just take a few weeks for my body to catch up.

I'm sure it's just the exercise....but you should still be impressed with 7lbs in 4 weeks. I would also like to throw in the idea that around the time of your period you will retain more water....so that could be somehibg to allow for each month too.

Try to think bigger picture instead of weekly result.

Well done x

Hi Taramorg,

Just want to stop by to echo what everyone else here has said - it will most likely be water retention in the muscles... don't stop, it will work itself out in the end. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water - it may sound daft, but the more water you drink the less your body will retain (I am not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works)...

Half a stone in a month is terrific, and I bet you are so much fitter than your friend... healthy heart, healthy joints, healthy mind, body and soul :)

Keep on - you're doing brilliantly..

Spots xx

Back