Help me solve this bridesmaid dress riddle!!

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
I've got 7, yes S E V E N, female representatives walking down the aisle with me in August- 4 adults, 2 flower girls then 1 teenage inbetweener.

My adults are wearing this:
dressember-day-161.jpg

The my 2 FG's are wearing one of these depending on what is available closer to the time:
657381_a.jpg
248020611485.jpg

But what do I put the inbetweener in? She will be about to turn 12 but looks much older- 13 or 14. She is quite tall and by that imagine will have quite a figure, the adult dress will be too risque for her but I doubt we will even be able to get the flower girl dresses in her size.

Any suggestions? We have a sort of 50's, nautical theme going on- I'm sure you've guessed.

HALP!

Thankyou BaB- you can get one from Pinup Couture, it's adventurously titled the Sailor dress (doh!). Please don't turn up to my wedding in it though.

Was thinking of having a dress made in matching material especially for her, maybe one of these styles:
leoparddress1b.jpg

navybow4.jpg

sailordotdress.jpg

But then I'm worried that 1 is still risque, 2 is middle aged and 3 is a bit boring and might look like she's in fancy dress?

Thankyou BaB- you can get one from Pinup Couture, it's adventurously titled the Sailor dress (doh!). Please don't turn up to my wedding in it though.

...Well I was thinking that you didn't have enough bridesmaids now you mention it.

Oh my I love this website. I think I know where the next hour of my life will be spent. Thank you!

I don't think the first one is risque if you look at the style alone - you'd have it made an navy/white yes? what about a wider belt?

Or what about a French navy/white as she's between the adults in navy and the FG's in white?

It's a tough age. My daughter is a tiny aged 15 (size 6 on a fat day) and we had a difficult year or two when she was about 13 and wanted to dress her age but because she was so tiny we could only get age 10-11!

And let's face it wedding outfits ARE fancy dress.:cool:

I was going to get her dress in white with navy trim, in an attempt to signify that she is only a kid iykwim. We have the opp problem to you Korrigan- I could easily fit her into an adult size 10-12! She's actually got bigger boobs than my chief bm who is 33!

Could you get the adult version altered a bit, maybe put in a panel across the top to make it a bit more modest? You could put in a sheer-ish white panel to make a higher, straighter neckline, then pair it with a wide belt as someone else suggested, to make it look a bit more demure and differentiate between her and the adults.

Cute dress by the way - I LOVE that website!

Bettie Page Clothing has some great 50s style dresses, you might find some inspiration there!

Do you think I could get away with adding amesh panel that would match the first flower girl dress? That would make thing considerably easier I suppose. And then she won't feel left out.

Food for thought thankyou Miffi!

Don't you think it would be too young for her? They go up to age 14 but I can't help thinking a 14 yr old would look odd in it. She'll be in her pj's at this rate!!

personally I'd go forsomething in this vein; only have it white as the main colour and navy for the trims.

it's nice and high so nice and modest, but still very grown up too.

this picture is just and example, but any seamstress worth her salt could whip it up I reckon lol

vintage-50s-red-polka-dot-full-skirt-dress.jpg

I think you're right that the FG's dresses are a bit too young for a 12 year old - she's probably just started highschool and desperately wants to be seen as a grown up and would likely be a bit gutted to be put in a kid's dress whilst all the older BMs are sauntering around in that gorgeous blue one!!

Sounds like a good idea to put the mesh panel across, or the bolero suggestion.

Or here's a few that might be suitable?

ASOS Petite | ASOS PETITE Skater Dress In Spot Print at ASOS

River Island | River Island Lace Panel Skater Dress at ASOS

ASOS Curve | ASOS CURVE Midi Dress With Contrast Piping at ASOS

Girl's navy smart ribbon dress - Party - Girls dresses - Kids -

River Island | River Island Shift Dress With Peter Pan Collar at ASOS

BHS - Jasmine crochet trim dress

Last edited:
I agree that the FG dresses are too young for a twelve year old, I think she would look a bit odd in it if she is quite a developed twelve.

I'd go with your adult dresses with an insert of some sort at the chest, or the first of the other three options you posted. The middle of the pictures is a bit middle aged as you say, but could also be quite low cut.

hi ladies, thanks for all the effort in replying :D

I've spoken to her mum and it seems she explicitly stated that she would rather match the adults than match the little ones, so we are going to put her in navy. I think even with the bolero, that dress would still be risque, so we'd go with either the mesh panel or a whole different dress that compliments the others. I think I'm going to get together a selection of styles and give her some control over what she wears. Silly, I'd never thought to ask her :rolleyes:

Was totally just going to suggest speaking to the girl and her mum with some options and save yourself the stress of having to decide lol! But read through the thread and see you beat me to it! I agree she would look a bit silly in the kids options especially if she is fitting into adult sized clothes.

There's plenty scope for a 50s style dress that isn't too revealing. Hope you find something that suits her, I'm sure you will your style is amazing, hurry up and get married so we can see pics :p x

I think a dress like 3 but with loads of net petticoats to make it younger! Just to be different lol!!!'

Back