Help me understand why??

Nicc117

Hi

Joined slimming world two weeks ago, second weigh in today.

First week I lost 2lbs, this week only 1.5lbs, making it 3.5lbs in total. I am sooo not happy with this weight loss.

I am very overweight and with any previous diets weightloss in initial weeks has been greater and I probably wasnt as good.

I have been letter perfect for the two weeks, no unhealthy stuff at all, only using about 8 syns a day. I have changed eating habits to now eating breakfast everyday and drinking more water.

My wii fit has said that I've lost 7lbs in this same two week period. So thats double what the SW scales are saying. I appreciate Wii wont be as acurate but still, its a massive difference!!

Also my friend who also comes with me has only lost 3lbs in two weeks, yet other class members are losing 3-4lbs a week! Leader has checked over food diaries and marked them as fantastic?!?!?

I'm so disheartened. I need to lose weight for my health and I am determined to do it but not at this rate of pace!!

Any words of advice or possible explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wii fit is notoriously bad at weighing, and not accuratem, there loads of posts about it.

Also our metabolism changes as we get older. We all lose at different rates, and you can never go by how someone else loses weight, it just doesnt work like that.

Your weight loss is actually a good weight loss, most people, go up and down with their weight losses, but overall they will mostly average to 1-2Ib's a week, which is a really good way to lse it.

Tip, do a diary, so peeps can see what your eating, and perhaps give you advice, what seems to happen more often than not, is new dieters simply don't eat enough, or have enough syns. So its well worth doing one, just so guys can see how your doing, and for you as well to keep you focussed. xx

Hi

Joined slimming world two weeks ago, second weigh in today.

First week I lost 2lbs, this week only 1.5lbs, making it 3.5lbs in total. I am sooo not happy with this weight loss.

I am very overweight and with any previous diets weightloss in initial weeks has been greater and I probably wasnt as good.

I have been letter perfect for the two weeks, no unhealthy stuff at all, only using about 8 syns a day. I have changed eating habits to now eating breakfast everyday and drinking more water.

My wii fit has said that I've lost 7lbs in this same two week period. So thats double what the SW scales are saying. I appreciate Wii wont be as acurate but still, its a massive difference!!

Also my friend who also comes with me has only lost 3lbs in two weeks, yet other class members are losing 3-4lbs a week! Leader has checked over food diaries and marked them as fantastic?!?!?

I'm so disheartened. I need to lose weight for my health and I am determined to do it but not at this rate of pace!!

Any words of advice or possible explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks
wow fantastic weightloss well done, i started two weeks ago too im about to leave for my second wi for a while and am a bit nervous but so long as i have a loss i'll be fine. i lost 2.5lb last week and although it isnt as huge as some peoples im actually glad as i am making small "life" changes this time instead of trying to lose it all super quick as i have done in the past as i burn out and give in i am so determined to lose this week and even if i lose 1lb a week thats 52lb a year and i am trying to be patient as its a healthy living im after not a race to the end

Defo do a food diary as it helps to see everything written down then peeps here can offer suggestions and help you tweak if you need it.

Water .... are u drinking enough water???

Well done on your weight loss ... slow and steady wins the race?!?!? I like to take things slow ... Ive lost weight quite fast in the past and it went back on twice as quick so your weight loss is brilliant xxx

Thanks everyone.

I have been doing a food diary and SW leader has said they are fantastic, lots of superfree foods and only negative comment was I dont always use all my syns. But she agreed that wouldn't hugely effect weightloss. Even the leader seems surprised!

With regards to water i dont usually drink a lot in the day, notoriously bad for it. Hower since starting the diet I am making sure I have drank at least 1 2litre bottle a day. have had no fizzy drinks or alcohol at all.

I am really desperate to lose weight so have tried to do everything to the letter. :(

Just take it day at a time and only worry about scales at class. Your loss so far is great stick with it you ade doing really well!!

The more you have to lose, the more syns you should be having. If you're only having 8 a day that may not be enough.

I know people sometimes think that less syns will speed up their weight loss, but it can actually have a detrimental effect on it.

Maybe try having between 10 and 15 syns a day.

The more you have to lose, the more syns you should be having. If you're only having 8 a day that may not be enough.

I know people sometimes think that less syns will speed up their weight loss, but it can actually have a detrimental effect on it.

Maybe try having between 10 and 15 syns a day.

Definately!!

If you have a lot of work to lose, as you say you do, then 8 syns is just not enough. They are there as part of the diet, to ensure our bodies are getting enough calories, as well as helping us keep on track, so keeping them low won't speed up your losses. There are dozens of people on here who upped their syns and had much better losses.

Give it a try - nothing to lose but weight!!

(and you won't put on weight by having 15 syns a day!)

It's definitely disheartening, I know as I STS in my first week and am petrified about WI on Thursday in case nothing's happened and especailly when you've been 100% like you have.

But the advice of everyone above is good advice - have your syns and don't think you're being 'good' by not having them, they're there for a reason. At my first group there was a woman there who had lost 7stone by having no syns at all, a year later she's piled it all on and more besides as it wasn't sustainable!

The only other thing I would say is that EE works for plenty of people, and loads of people do lose well on it, but it's not for everyone. I personally know it does not work for me and I stick to red and green. And you have still lost weight so the plan is working! Maybe you just need to rethink your expectations about how quickly you're going to lose? And your body may yet still catch up and you;ll have an amazing loss next week.

Good luck and keep going!! xx

I STS this week and am also really peeved. Clutching at straws, can I just ask if time of the month makes a difference?

Yes it does as we retain more water. Long as you've stuck to plan, and been having your syns then stick with it, this does work x

If you have a lot to lose, you might need to eat a little more 9I know it sounds odd), but if you eat too little your body tends to hang onto everything. Make sure you have all your syns, and don't live on fruit and carrot sticks - if you are very overweight you need to eat a reasonable amount to lose weight. You can cut back as you get nearer target. The "average" SW dieter eats around 1500 cals a day, but if you are very overweight you should be eating a lot more than this. My basal metabolic rate is just under 1800 cals a day which is what I need to function assuming I laid in bed all day.

My MBR is over 2k, (at about 20 stone) which just goes to show you that it can make a sizable difference depending on you & your weight.

Definitely definitely eat your sins! My leader said some really overweight people can get away with more than recommended. And eating all healthy extras, eating 3 meals a day.

"Starving" your body can cause it to go into shock and retain like nothing on earth, meaning you lose little.

my sw leader said it is possible for very overweight people to eat more than 15 syns and still lose, but obviously that is in no way maintainable, or recommended.

Personally, for me, sw is a slow and steady weight loss program which I will follow for the rest of my life. I believe the majority will average, over a period of 3 months, 1-2 pounds per week. If this isn't the kind of weight loss you envisaged, then you might have to rethink if sw is for you. If sw is for you, then eat your syns and up your water intake and take it over a month and see how you do. It's a fab plan and you will succeed, you just need to see the bigger picture.....it will be worth it!! :) xx

Personally, for me, sw is a slow and steady weight loss program which I will follow for the rest of my life. I believe the majority will average, over a period of 3 months, 1-2 pounds per week. If this isn't the kind of weight loss you envisaged, then you might have to rethink if sw is for you. If sw is for you, then eat your syns and up your water intake and take it over a month and see how you do. It's a fab plan and you will succeed, you just need to see the bigger picture.....it will be worth it!! :) xx

Absolutely agree, there are no "quick fixes" here, it is a plan for life and changes the way you eat for good... 1-2lbs a week is right on the money and will result in losing as much weight as you want to over time, but patience is a virtue.

Nobody said it would be easy, but stick with it and the weight WILL come off xxxxxxxxxx

Back