Help - my job is making me eat!!!

Foxy1509

I'm hoping you lovely people out there might be able to help me with a bit of a problem I have at the moment.

This time last year, my department were told we were 'under review' and there may be redundancies at the end of it. They finally finished the review in July, and I was the only person to be told I was confirmed in my job. Don't get me wrong, I was so grateful to still have a job, but I wasn't happy in it to start with. Then they went and changed the job underneath me. Now I hate, detest and despise it! SO much so that it's a real wrench to get out of bed and force myself to come to work every day. I feel so out of my depth - really not understanding what I'm supposed to be doing, or even wanting to do it at all. It doesn't use my attributes or skills and I have spoken to my boss about my concerns. However she just pays lip service and tells me I CAN do the job, and she really believes I will enjoy it once I've got used to it.

The thing is I don't want to get used to it, and I really want to get another job. The only problem is that my OH is on a really low paid job at the moment, and since he left uni in January 2009, has been doing the summer job he was doing while he was studying. He's trying and trying to find a job that'll use his degree, but isn't having much luck.

So I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment - I can find another job, but I'll have to take a pay cut of at least £6k - which we can't afford to do - or I stay in this job feeling really unhappy until such time as OH is successful in his career hunt.

So anyway, that's a bit of background. The problem is that I find myself thinking about food all the time while I'm at work. There's a vending machine just outside my office door, which I have to pass every time I go to get a drink or go to the loo, and it just keeps on luring me!!! I KNOW it's sabotaging my weight loss, but at the moment, I'm just so unhappy at work that I find it REALLY difficult to resist the temptation. I've tried all the normal tricks of bringing in healthy snack, or 'pre-synned' snacks but I just end up eating those as well!

Does anyone have ANY ideas or thoughts that I can try to stop feeling like this??

Last edited:
yep!!! get the bike out chick!! good blast will get your head back in line. munch on free foods (if thats allowed in ur diet)

oh and start day dreaming of JT over that fireblade, cheers me up every time

I don't take any money will me to work, so i even if I am tempted (which is rare) I can't do anything about it! I have my lunch and snacks that I take with me and as there's no money to buy anything else then that's all I can have.

Sorry you're feeling so stressed out at the moment. If you don't mind me saying i think you need to tell your OH how you are feeling. I don't think it's fair that you are carrying the financial burden and IMHO he need to start pulling his weight (no pun intended). Okay, so he would prefer a job equal to his qualifications but until that comes along he needs to find a better paid one than his student job so he can contribute more to the household.

yep!!! get the bike out chick!! good blast will get your head back in line. munch on free foods (if thats allowed in ur diet)

oh and start day dreaming of JT over that fireblade, cheers me up every time

Thanks Sam.... only one slight flaw in that plan.... can't fit into my bike gear at the mo!!!! lol But I do get your drift, and will think of 'outside work' stuff to try and distract me from the calls from the vending machine!

If you don't mind me saying i think you need to tell your OH how you are feeling. I don't think it's fair that you are carrying the financial burden and IMHO he need to start pulling his weight (no pun intended). Okay, so he would prefer a job equal to his qualifications but until that comes along he needs to find a better paid one than his student job so he can contribute more to the household.

Thanks hun, no problem saying that - I think you're quite right to do so! He is well aware of how I'm feeling as we've had a fair few 'words' over it in the past couple of months, and he feels so much guilt already that he's not bringing in as much money as he wants to. He does make up for it in other ways by doing most of the housework and washing the car etc. He's looking every day on countless job web sites, and to be honest I don't think he can really do much more!

I think you're right about the not taking money to work idea though - before, the machines were on a card basis and you had to actually go and get a card from faclilities and then actively go and top it up with money. I never even got a card! But then they went and changed them to cash ones. I'll have to have a serious think about bringing my own lunch to work, but I will miss my jacket spud with beans or cottage cheese from the canteen! lol

I shall be consulting the recipe books and file for lunch ideas tomorrow, and going shopping on Sunday!

i was on a site the other day had richa jackets for 60 quid, i'm temped to get myself one. oh at there leather not textile... ohhhhhhh

when i get stressed i take the dog out for a walk. seems to help. fired up OH's bike today as he's away and nearly died chocking, must not do that when suffering with chest infection.

drink loads of water - that might fill you up.

hunt on jobsites for another job.

make a list of all the reasons for losing weight - and then get this out every time you think about having something not on the plan!!!

good luck - i know how hard it can be some days, and if you are not happy at work.

I hope it all works out in the end xxx

Thanks Ellebear. Some really good tips there! The list is a GREAT plan! I shall bring in a litre bottle of water so I don't have to keep going to get drinks and have the vending machine glaring at me! lol

Oh, and I love the new pic :D

I'm sorry to hear you are so stressed and i know how you feel, at times my job drags me down. But one thing to remember, if hunger is not the problem then food is not the answer! I think you could do with taking relaxation classes, yoga... something like that.. if you can afford... or just trying some thing that relaxes you and helps you feel better (not food)... you and your OH spend some quality time together and massage each other, discuss ways of supporting each other, go out for long walks together, or on your own with your fav music blasting in your ears, when your not at work clear your mind of work worries (easy to say i know) and for when you are at work maybe work your syns in for the day and have your chocy treat while there and don't feel to bad about allowing yourself it, keep drinking plenty and have loads of fruit, and keep coming on here for all our support we will all keep you going, your doing this for you hun, don't let work destroy that dream you have of personal sucess... you can get through this x

Easy to say I know................but...............when I gave up smoking, and was in a job I hated I used to say to myself, I can ahve a cigarette and work be crap, or I can be non-smoker and work still be crap!!! Either way work will still be crap!! Same applies to food. I know it's ahrder cos you still ahve to eat, but you can be the way you are ith a rubbish job that stresses you, or, slim with a rubbish job that stresses you.. Either way work will be rubbish, but one way will make you less sad than the other. You know what I mean.

Lynda

Ok, this might sound a bit harsh - I don't mean to be unkind, but there are realities to be faced here.

Last year a whole load of people were made redundant. You weren't. So how do you think they are feeling? Probably a lot worse than you. They would probably be grateful for any job, even if they didn't like it.

You have, if I have read things correctly, a well-paid job, a nice husband, and some security. Things that many people would give their right arm for.

So what you need is a rethink, an old-fashioned "count your blessings" session, and then the food problems might just sort themselves out.

Back