help on daily diet

ibizasunshine

Hi Guys,

Is this okay to get started on Atkins/low carb?

Breakfast Atkins Yoghurt Drink
Lunch - Salmon Salad with gem lettuce, cucumber, tomoato and half avacado
Snack prawns
Dinner Meat and veg??

Is it okay to have low cal no carb fizzy drink?
Last night as an evening snack I had hollumi
Also I have a low carb cereal which is made with nuts is that ok?

Thanks for your help x

Hi, nuts aren't permitted in the early stages of Atkins - its best to try for a couple of weeks at least without them.

Coke zero is the best fizzy drink option.

thanks Moonlights you have done so well!! What are your views on using the Atkins range whilst on the diet..some people on here say no to use it?? thanks xx

Personally I avoid it like the plague. Especially the bars, the stuff in them can have an effect on your insulin levels which mimics sugar - and keeping insulin levels steady is a large part of why this diet works.

I haven't heard of Atkins yogurt, but the shakes they do aren't as bad as the bars because they have a different form of sweetener in. They're still not brilliant though - but I mostly avoid shakes altogether in favour of real food.

Dr Atkins himself recommended eating unprocessed foods and was very against sugar alcohols. All the products the company with his name on now sell would have been forbidden in his original books.

oh okay ..she says whilst eating an atkins bar! what do you recommend instead? anything that takes that crunchy biscuit chocolate hit away???

Also last night to try and get rid of that Chocolate urge..I made my self a hot chocolate with a splash of double cream, spoon full of Green and Blacks Organic Coco and 1 spoon full of Xylitol and hot water...do you think thats okay? think it had about 3 carbs in it???

Will stay away from the Atkins bars??? BUt would love an alternative...any ideas?.x

It is best to stay away from sweets in the first part of the Atkins diet. If you must have something, try a light chocolate mouse. Some of them are under 5 carbs per serving and it is mostly air. Make sure to make it with unsweetened soy milk so you don't add carbs to it.

where do you get the chocolate mouse?? does soya not have carbs?? Thanks for your help xxx

You can make a low carb chocolate 'mousse' by whipping sweetener, cream and cocoa powder together until fluffy. I definitely wouldn't buy a mousse mix from the shops.

Soya milk has carbs as it is usually sweetened but alpro unsweetened soya milk light (or other brands of unsweetened soya milk) are practically zero carb.

Dr O is right in that it's best to try and avoid living off sweets for the first two weeks - however for an induction chocolate recipe look in the menus section at the thread moonlights meals and find the recipes for cocoa bark.

Be aware that Atkins bars and sugar alcohols can be major stallers and slow down weight loss.

thanks will keep away from Atkins bars..and alchol!! Its a shame it was nice to have the atkins strawberry yoghurt drink for breakfast makes a change to all meat and eggs x if any one knows of an alternative it would be great to hear of it x

Back