help please starting Cambridge at the w.end

Hi all, just looking for some advice. I am starting Cambridge at the weekend, but because of my bmi is 44 my cdc has said I will have to do ss+ but said I wouldn't really be happy with that as it was the zero food that made me want to do this. So she said I could just have 4 packs per day, plus 1pint of semi skimmed milk?! And also said that although this will keep me out of ketosis I will still have losses etc... But I thought the whole point of this diet...was to get into ketosis??? Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this before? because i'm thinking if I just did the 2 shakes and small protein meal...I'd be in ketosis, am I right? Hope someone can give me some advice as i'm confused :( xx

Hi yummymummy, welcome!

Actually, ketosis isn't the whole point. The whole point is maximum nutrition for minimal calories. :D That makes a VLCD like Cambridge the fastest form of weight loss diet because the calorie deficit is great enough for you to consistently lose 3-4 pounds a week (on average).

Ketosis is believed to be helpful because it's linked with appetite suppression. But the jury's out on whether it's actually ketosis which causes appetite suppression or whether it's simply the lack of carbs that does it (fewer carbs = fewer insulin spikes).

A pint of semi skimmed contains around 25g of carb. And 4 shakes/soups/porridges will contain around 56g in total (bars tend to have a higher carb count but you aren't supposed to have them until week 3).

I think on 81g carb a day you might not get into ketosis but I wouldn't worry. And once you get down to a BMI of 40.0 (and that won't be long!) you can stop having the milk.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I have to say I'm a bit puzzled though cos the all-liquid version of SS+ is 4 Cambridge products and 200ml of skimmed milk (only 10g carb in that amount of skimmed). Not sure why your CWPC is recommending a pint of semi-skimmed. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi lily :)

Thank you for replying, that makes a bit more sence now, it's so much to take in isn't it?!

See I was thinking that it was ketosis that made you not hungry/lose weight fast...ish! This is all new to me lol so is it right that I should be having 4packs per day...plus pint of semi skimmed? And also I've been told it will be step 2 liquid option 810 cals, and this will keep me out of ketosis until I get my bmi under 40

I'm hoping this is right, as I really need this weight of as quickly as possible,

Xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi lily :)

Thank you for replying, that makes a bit more sence now, it's so much to take in isn't it?!

See I was thinking that it was ketosis that made you not hungry/lose weight fast...ish! This is all new to me lol so is it right that I should be having 4packs per day...plus pint of semi skimmed? And also I've been told it will be step 2 liquid option 810 cals, and this will keep me out of ketosis until I get my bmi under 40

I'm hoping this is right, as I really need this weight of as quickly as possible,

Xx

Ah right. Yes, a pint of semi-skimmed plus 4 products would be around 850 calories ish, I suppose. That should work. :)

Don't worry, the weight loss on 810 isn't much different to the weight loss on SS, particularly if you're starting from a higher BMI. I think you're still going to be pleased with the results. :)

Hi Yummymummy,

I am on that plan and it is called 1000cc. My CDC told me that it has only been going for 3 months or so and it is to help people like us that have really high bmi to be able to a compelte meal replacement. She did try to convince me to have one meal but I wasn't having any of it!! I have 4 packs a day and 20oz of milk (which I think is a pint). Once my weight drops under 40bmi I can then drop down to the lower plans.

I think when your bmi is so high people generally need a lot more than the usual 2000 to sustain their weight so dropping down to 1000cals will definitely cause weight loss.

At the moment, I am having a shake for breakfast, a pint mug of coffee with 5oz of milk mid mornng, soup for lunch and another large coffee in the afternoon. When I get home I have a soup, a mint choc shake and a large coffee with 10oz of milk. Plus my 2.25lt of water throughout the day.

As you can see, my bmi was over 50 when I started which is why I couldn't start on a lower plan. I lost 8lb in my first week and I weigh in tomorrow but I know that I have lost another 7lb so far (I'm a serial weigher :D)

Please consider doing this as it is really working for me.

If you have any questions about it just let me know x x

Hi sexybecks :)

That's great you seem to be in a good routine I'm hoping I can do that, I know I haven't started this yet, but my CDC has said that I will be on step 2 810 cal?? But yet it's the same one your on at a 1000?? Il be honest I find this very confusing :( I've only ever cal counted before so this is all new to me, maybe it will become more clear after I have my first meeting with her...

I hope!! :)

Back