Help..posting franked mail

Soon2B wii mii

Sorry, completely ot but, my son had been handed a bag of franked mail but has never posted it before. I know where the local business mail box is but don't know if he should empty the bag or post the mail in the bag. He's only just started so does n't want to have to wrong his boss.
TIA.

He needs to put it in the franked mail post box if possible - Having said that when the franked mail box has been closed/locked it can be placed in an ordinary post box but you need to take it out of the post bag - blocks up the post box I think.

Last edited:
Many moons ago when I was a lowly office junior the franked mail all went in a special bag which got handed in at the post office. I was always warned never to put it in a regular post box

That's true Starlight - I should have worded it better - whenever it was put in the post box the franked mail box would be closed and the post office would have had to have closed (believe it closed at 5.15 where I used to work - so there was no choice if the post was to get off that night) hope that makes sense.

Hopefully my brain will switch on soon.

You need to make the PO if you want it proof of posting, not so much with the ordinary, make sure there's a later collection whichever box you use as not all of them have a collection after the 5 something! If you miss the PO, you cannot take it in the next day to the PO without refranking (because of the dates).
Red and green bags (pouches) can never be put in a box and if you miss the PO they will accept them at a Depot counter (check locally for last times).

(Former Post Office Manager)!

Sorry, completely ot but, my son had been handed a bag of franked mail but has never posted it before. I know where the local business mail box is but don't know if he should empty the bag or post the mail in the bag. He's only just started so does n't want to have to wrong his boss.TIA.
I see that other people have given you advice about the franked mail, but the other thing which I would say is that if he is in a new job and is given a task he doesn't understand, he should always ask someone exactly how to do it. Sometimes it is hard to ask, and he might think they will laugh at him, but it is the only way he will learn and will prevent problems in the long run.

I see that other people have given you advice about the franked mail, but the other thing which I would say is that if he is in a new job and is given a task he doesn't understand, he should always ask someone exactly how to do it. Sometimes it is hard to ask, and he might think they will laugh at him, but it is the only way he will learn and will prevent problems in the long run.

Exactly & his employer will fully understand if he doesn't understand & respect him for asking.

AnnaFaraday said:

Totally agree bit random for his mum to be asking on a forum really should be asking his boss himself. It's quite understandable to not know... I'm sure this won be the first question he needs to ask! :s

Totally agree bit random for his mum to be asking on a forum really should be asking his boss himself. It's quite understandable to not know... I'm sure this won be the first question he needs to ask! :s

I think thats a bit unfair. If you see the time the post was made, clearly he was finished work for the day and the PO was closed. I dont think its in the least random to be asking on a forum when presumably he couldnt ask his boss. As it turned out it was a pretty good idea since there were several people including a former PO manager who were able to help

Thats exactly what the off topic section is for...

Starlight said:
I think thats a bit unfair. If you see the time the post was made, clearly he was finished work for the day and the PO was closed. I dont think its in the least random to be asking on a forum when presumably he couldnt ask his boss. As it turned out it was a pretty good idea since there were several people including a former PO manager who were able to help

Thats exactly what the off topic section is for...

LIKE!!!!! Lots!!!!!!

My current problems with this forum don't allow me to reply with a quote, sorry.I didn't mean to suggest that the original poster should not have asked the forum - of course she should because she got some sensible advice here from people who knew what they were talking about and the matter was of some urgency. I meant that once the immediate problem was sorted out, next time her son should ask for clear advice about things he doesn't understand. It is hard when you are new at a job and want to look competent, and are worried about what people might think of you, and I quite see why he asked his mum for help (in fact I think it is rather sweet!) and it takes a bit of courage to say "sorry, haven't a clue how to do that, could you explain". But it is good practice in the long run. Even though it is a long time ago, I can remember quite clearly that feeling of day-to-day panic in a new job!

One of these days I am going to start a "Society for the Repatriation of Words Which Have Been Kidnapped and Forced To Mean Something Else Entirely", and my first campaign will be for the word "random". But it is probably a lost cause! :)

AnnaFaraday said:
My current problems with this forum don't allow me to reply with a quote, sorry.I didn't mean to suggest that the original poster should not have asked the forum - of course she should because she got some sensible advice here from people who knew what they were talking about and the matter was of some urgency. I meant that once the immediate problem was sorted out, next time her son should ask for clear advice about things he doesn't understand. It is hard when you are new at a job and want to look competent, and are worried about what people might think of you, and I quite see why he asked his mum for help (in fact I think it is rather sweet!) and it takes a bit of courage to say "sorry, haven't a clue how to do that, could you explain". But it is good practice in the long run. Even though it is a long time ago, I can remember quite clearly that feeling of day-to-day panic in a new job!

I think your post was very valid, and my advice is always if in doubt ask!
I think the post saying it was 'random' to ask on a forum was harsh and unnecessary as in Off Topic we ask each other all sorts of random stuff.
From moon cups to hair removal, and long may it continue!

AnnaFaraday said:

Have you not got 'reply with a quote' button at the bottom of posts?

Yes, I do have a reply with quote button, but when I click it nothing happens. And all my separate paragraphs run together so that it looks as if I am speaking without pausing for breath! There are other problems as well - no idea why.

Same problems here with this new set-up! Several options do not work, I am using Windows 7 and Google Chrome if that's a help.....

AnnaFaraday said:
Yes, I do have a reply with quote button, but when I click it nothing happens. And all my separate paragraphs run together so that it looks as if I am speaking without pausing for breath! There are other problems as well - no idea why.

Oh! I've noticed that my punctuation is missing on some posts, I thought it was my new phone! Or me forgetting!!!

Back