1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Precise syn values of oil/fat in item of food?

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by Jemima Doll, 2 April 2014 Social URL.

1. Jemima Doll

Jemima Doll Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    22st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(3.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well! I have been doing SW EE for 10 days now and have a question I hope you can help with?

How do you calculate syn values of fat/oil in food and how precise do you have to be be? eg today I had half of a 500g pre-packed omelette for lunch, so I had a 250g portion and the ingredients were all free..eggs, potato, onion EXCEPT also listed were olive/sunflower oil though no quantity was shown, but the typical values stated fat 6.0g for 100g, so as I had 250g i calculated that would be 15g fat? do i then put that in to spoons to calculate the syn value as it's worked out in tsp/tbsp in the book? or am i over complicating this!!?

ALSO...i buy lean cuts of bacon/steak etc and cut the fat off, but if i fancied leaving it on for a treat(naughty me!) the meat would be free but how would i calculate the little bit of fat i had left on!?

Thanks x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. lickthelid

lickthelid Lives here....

Start Weight:
    18st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(18.29%)
    Diet:
    SW / MFP
    Put the nutritional info into the syns calculator with a free food allowance of eggs. That should work it out for you. In terms of the bacon I would be surprised if it wasn't on syns online with fat left on?

4. Jemima Doll

Jemima Doll Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    22st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(3.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks lickthelid, will do x

5. Jemima Doll

Jemima Doll Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    22st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(3.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Just entered this omlette it and it came out as 8 1/2 syns for a 250g portion....I'm a bit confused as the only ingredients are eggs, potatoes and onion which are free on EE and some olive/sunflower oil so guess the oil must 8 1/2 syns! Gutted as i thought this was free and i just had to calculate the syns for the small amount of oil but i never thought it would be 8 1/2 syns...oh well won't have that everyday!

6. emmab090781

emmab090781 New Member

That's what does the damage, all those hidden oils / fats / sugars... At least you know now for future :)

7. lickthelid

lickthelid Lives here....

Start Weight:
    18st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(18.29%)
    Diet:
    SW / MFP
    1 tablespoon is 6 syns so I suppose its possible but I agree seems excessive! I'd never have had it down as that high but again it's the pre packed nightmare.

8. Jemima Doll

Jemima Doll Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    22st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(3.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think i'll try to make it myself from scratch but not add any oil then it should be free!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.