Help! Think im addicted to bread & cereal!

madkoi

Hi I am new here!

I have previously been to slimming world classes & lost a good stone. In between that I was doing WW but got bored & now I want to get back into SW. My problem is I think I am addicted to Bread & Cereals!

I have a good portion of Alpen Muesli in the morning with skimmed milk, so with my Healthy Extra B's this would take up all my limit!

I want to retrain myself into eating differently but alway seem to slip up!

Please help! :eek:

If you was to use two healthy B's on your muesli, you could always syn your bread? As you have upto 15 syns per day which you can use on what you please.

Or alternate your days of having cereal one, then bread the next. Or add some fruit to just one healthy b of muesli, so it looks more than using two healthy b's of muesli.

x

When you say a good portion, do you actually measure it, and is it one of the muesli's your allowed to have as a healthy extra? Your only allowed to have 28g High fibre Alpen or 28g Jordan muesli natural nut and seed/ with one ryvita wholegrain crackerbread. You have to syn whatever you go over by unless you have 2 x heb as the same thing.

The only person that can ultimately help you is you! We can give you support to help you stay focussed, but ultimately to stay on your weight loss journey, it has to come from you.

I totally understand the cereal thing, I was a cereal midnight snacker, but I realised I just cant do it. I used to have at least 3 x more than I should eat! When it comes to addiction, you have to treat it as such, and if you feel like your addicted, then you need to cut back, and wean yourself down to a maintainable level. You have no choice. Your either serious about losing weight or your not, your either ready or your not. You need to make the choice.

Ask youself why you want to lose weight and how important it is to you, and then take the steps to do it. Start day by day, plan each day as it comes, til it sticks and you no longer feel like someone chopped your arm off.

Your not alone, we all have issues with food, mostly with me its chocolate and crisps and cakes and biscuits. Its hard, but no one ever said it was going to be easy. You will get lots of support here hun, you just have to believe you can do it!

Hi
Ive started having a sachet of porridge with my HEXA milk in a morning. Although its uses the HEXs for the day, you get alot more than you would with cereal and it seems to fill me up.

Good swap if you like porridge

xx

Thank you for replys.

Yes I do need to practice some self control! As ultimately only I can help myself!

The Alpen is a 50g sachet, in which i have 2 sachets so that ends up being 100g! So I would have blown my HEB already! This morning I had a individual box of bran flakes (40g). I do have some porridge in the cupboard, so i could swap to porrdige & just weigh it. The times I have eaten porridge before I have gone longer before feeling hungry.

I want to lose weight so I can fit into my clothes as they are all on the tight side. I hate getting up in the morning for work, looking at the wardrobe pondering what to wear as everything is tight!

Thanks for all your support! I love this site! xxx

Silvermaneuk said:
dont forget you have to have a scanbran with that to make it a heb

Hey I checked with my consultant last night who said that porridge on it's own was fine as heb. If you want to eat a scan bran too that's fine but not necessary.

Thank you for replys.

Yes I do need to practice some self control! As ultimately only I can help myself!

The Alpen is a 50g sachet, in which i have 2 sachets so that ends up being 100g! So I would have blown my HEB already! This morning I had a individual box of bran flakes (40g). I do have some porridge in the cupboard, so i could swap to porrdige & just weigh it. The times I have eaten porridge before I have gone longer before feeling hungry.

I want to lose weight so I can fit into my clothes as they are all on the tight side. I hate getting up in the morning for work, looking at the wardrobe pondering what to wear as everything is tight!

Thanks for all your support! I love this site! xxx

I hate to tell you this but you should only be having 28g of branflakes, anything over that, you have to syn (approx an extra 1 1/2 syns for what you had) + a 1 ryvita! They are all pretty much 28g! The only one you dont have to weigh is weetabix, and you can have 2 of them.

ok so that means your having an extra 12 1/2 syns (approx) more on top of you heb, so you blow most of your daily syns on the extra cereal, if that helps put it into perspective for you.

You can have 28g porridge and a scan bran for a HEB.

Have you got books? As it lists all the cereals in there and measurements. Also syns online gives even more cereals.

Last edited:
Hey I checked with my consultant last night who said that porridge on it's own was fine as heb. If you want to eat a scan bran too that's fine but not necessary.

That's what it says in the book, porridge on its own does not have high enough fibre content, which is why they add the scan bran's.

So if you don't have it then you should theoretically syn the porridge, and your consultant it giving you the wrong information I am afraid! If you email Slimming World they will confirm what I have said.

Last edited:
I've just checked the website and the only Alpen that is a healthy extra is the high fibre cereal. The muesli isn't listed. It is 5 syns per 28g, so works out 17 syns for the 100g serving you've been having.

If you want this diet to work then it is important that you get your head round the healthy extras that are available and allowed, or find some alternatives. The plan will only work if you stick to the rules.

I hate to tell you this but you should only be having 28g of branflakes, anything over that, you have to syn (approx an extra 1 1/2 syns for what you had) + a 1 ryvita! They are all pretty much 28g! The only one you dont have to weigh is weetabix, and you can have 2 of them.
Its one of those variety pack bran flakes which is a standard weight. I may just swap breakfast cereal for low fat yogurt & fruit, so at least that'll be free!

Have you got books? As it lists all the cereals in there and measurements. Also syns online gives even more cereals.I have the slimming world books & can see the measurements. I really want to go to the classes but I have a 15mth old son & my BF often works late shifts so I am unable to get out in the evening

:) Thank you for your support :)

You could take your son to classes with you - there are several women in my class who take their kids with them.

I've just checked the website and the only Alpen that is a healthy extra is the high fibre cereal. The muesli isn't listed. It is 5 syns per 28g, so works out 17 syns for the 100g serving you've been having.

If you want this diet to work then it is important that you get your head round the healthy extras that are available and allowed, or find some alternatives. The plan will only work if you stick to the rules.

Yeah I think I have decided to stop eating it, as it could be the reason I stay the same weight! I may just start eating muller lights for brekkie, with some fruit :) xx

You could take your son to classes with you - there are several women in my class who take their kids with them.

He goes to bed at 6pm, so unless there is a earlier class, say 5pm...i may look at the website to check :)

Ive just looked on the website & there is a meeting on a tuesday at 5.30pm that i could go to. My LO goes to bed normally at 6pm but maybe just once a week wouldnt hurt to keep him up a little longer!

I can see why Mad would bulk at taking her little one with her to class, yes, sure people do take their kids, but it can be quite stressful for the mums, when the kids wont sit still etc.

@ Mad hun, why don't you start a food dairy, I am happy to come and and keep and eye on it for you, and give you some support, as I am sure you will find other will do, also.

I know its hard to get your head round. I too love my cereal ,but found that 28g was a seriously small portion, took me about 3 mouthfuls to eat it, and that's why i swapped to 2 x weetabix. Britmum gave me a fabulous idea of putting 1 tbsp of maple syrup on my weetabix for 2 syns and it makes me feel like I am having a really sweet naughty cereal!

I know its hard to get your head round. I too love my cereal ,but found that 28g was a seriously small portion, took me about 3 mouthfuls to eat it, and that's why i swapped to 2 x weetabix. Britmum gave me a fabulous idea of putting 1 tbsp of maple syrup on my weetabix for 2 syns and it makes me feel like I am having a really sweet naughty cereal!

Ooh I like it! Or maybe a weetabix with a banana on top :)

I have the Slimming world trackers (I photocopied my old ones) and will use them to track my eating habits!
:thankyou:

If I may address your bread issue, can I ask a few things?

Firstly, what type of bread do you eat, how many slices do you eat and why do you eat bread?

You should be switching to 400g (small loaves) wholemeal bread and have 2 slices as a healthy extra, or 3 slices if it is a weightwatchers danish loaf.

If you have to have white bread, then it will have to be synned I'm afraid.

The reason I asked why you liked bread was because I asked myself the same question and was brutally honest and identified it from the start as the main reason for my weight gain - bread was not really part of my meals but in addition to and along with! - always plastered in lurpak! I would have sandwiches (usually 4 rounds/slices of Warburtons thick) several times per day - believing it was better for me than meals! I'd also have buttered french stick between meals with crisps and cheese etc.

Long story short. I only eat 2-3 slices of wholemeal (small) per day and as an integral part of the meal, such as a sandwich for work, toast, or soldiers with soft-boiled eggs. I replaced lurpak with flora lighter than light (the lowest fat/synned spread available).

I never eat bread to accompany a meal now - not even soup! - my home made soup is delicious without needing bread.

Bread was used merely as a filler (I'm told it's a northern thing) but now my filler is fruit/veg/salad.

Of course I've missed my thick warburtons white with literally slices of lurpak on it, but I don't miss the 71lb I've took off since my last slice of it.

It took loads of getting used to at first - probably 30 years of abuse - but is now second nature.

It's not easy, but it is achievable.

Cereal was simple - 2 weetabix per day and 250ml s/s milk lol.

Good luck

Steve

If I may address your bread issue, can I ask a few things?

Firstly, what type of bread do you eat, how many slices do you eat and why do you eat bread?

Steve

I love seeded batch or wholemeal. I never buy white bread. Usually thick slices. I am more addicted to cereals rather than bread, but I sometimes find myself grabbing a slice of bread to tide me over before dinner!

I love my bread too so I understand where you are coming from but there is a reason why we are overweight and we need to be willing to make changes in order to lose the weight. Yes you can have wholemeal bread but in limited, measured amounts. if you want a bit more then you can syn it, but you can't expect just to carry on eating as before if you want to lose the pounds.

It's good to think about those times when you reach for the bread and plan in advance for what you can do instead when that time comes. If you want something to tide you over until dinner then make sure there is something else to eat instead. I always have a big pot of soup ready for when I get in from work, particurly if I am working late, as i know it will be all too easy to make a sarnie just because I am so hungry and can't wait for dinner. It might help to put your bread in freezer and only take out the amount you need for a HEB - that way it will be less accessible.

Back