• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Help with "GRAVY" pleaseee

What do the rest of you use for (minimum syn) gravy? Until SW we'd always used gravy granules. Now use passata/chopped tomatoes - plain or flavoured - with suitable meals.

Although we both like chicken Bovril and Marmite, how do you thicken them, quickly, easily and with as few syns as possible?

Or any other syn free/VL syn ideas please.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Ninja

Silver Member
Sorry, I can't help you. I still use gravy granules. At 1 syn per tbsp I don't think it's that bad, plus I don't have it that often so it's like a treat in a way.

Have you tried adding some beef bovril to the passata or tinned toms?

Thanks so much for replying Ninja. I'd not looked it up properly, and thought that the granules were MUCH higher. Going to try using far less granules than before, making a much thinner gravy, and see what that is like.

Will also try "flavouring" the passata - we use "gravy" frequently, so that could also be useful. Thanks again.

I like lot of gravy so I use this:

Fry some sliced red onions & mushrooms till soft, add a splah of balsamic vinegar. Add 142m Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself, Gravy Granules, made up as directed (2 sins) & top up with another 142ml boiling water and a couple of teaspoons of chicken bovril. Allow it to simmer for a few mins untill thickened to your liking.

This does 2 good servings at 1 sin per person.

julie19

Silver Member
I make up the chicken or beef bovril put it in a pan, add some salt & pepper then use a tablespoon of cornflour (mixed with a little water to make a paste) add it & keep stirring until it is thickened.

I love making this with onions then I pour it over cooked sausages & warm them in the oven so the skins go all soft & nice

<3FallenxAngel<3

Getting married :)
I know this may be a bit of a blonde question but when it says 1 syn per tbsp, are tbsp the ones you eat with or the bigger serving spoons? i always thought they were the ones you ate with but peopl ehave told me differently!!

sanicholl

Silver Member
Hi at school we are always told that there are 5ml in a teaspoon, 10ml in a desert spoon (the one you eat with) and 15ml in a tablespoon. If you don't have a tablespoon just use 3 teaspoons. I hope that this helps.