Help with reason for leaving an employer on an application form

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I'm applying for a part-time admin job with Young People's Service (those with substance abuse problems)

I worked in the job centre (about 10 years ago) & I left because I worked/lived in the same town & people used to follow me around the supermarket or if I was in a pub etc asking for their giro cheques.

As I was quite young I found this unsettling & was scared.

Do I just put in the reason for leaving box 'for safety reasons'?

Then if they ask if I get an interview I can tell them & just say as I'm older now wouldn't have a problem with this as the job is local & with vulnerable people XX

Thanks

I wouldnt go into quite so much detail as to why you left due to how long ago it was. Something like 'work/life balance' should cover it. They will probably only be interested in why youre looking to leave your current job.

I wouldnt go into quite so much detail as to why you left due to how long ago it was. Something like 'work/life balance' should cover it. They will probably only be interested in why youre looking to leave your current job.

That's ok as I'm just finished maternity leave & my last job was a 6 month temp job.

So if I put 'work/life balance' if I get an interview & they ask do it tell them the real reason X

I always write 'left to move onto a new opportunity' - it's never been questioned before and I've never been asked to elaborate on it.

When I was taking people on I was more concerned with lots of job changes without reason, so a 20year old who changed jobs every 3-6 months with 'left for new challenge' or similar got filed!

big bear said:
That's ok as I'm just finished maternity leave & my last job was a 6 month temp job.

So if I put 'work/life balance' if I get an interview & they ask do it tell them the real reason X

I very much doubt they will ask you about it. I dont think ive ever been asked why i want to leave. If asked you dont have to go into details. Just say something like it wasnt the right job for you at such a young age.

I used to put 'unsafe working environment' as a reason for leaving one of my jobs after we were robbed & I had a knife held to my throat! People asked a lot of questions though & it made everyone uncomfortable. It's been so long now that I just took it off my CV. I don't like to lie about why I left (& it wasn't even the event that made me leave, it was the attitude of the managers - who told me that they would never have given up the money, despite being threatened with a knife & they wouldn't hire any more security guards because it wasn't safe for them!)

I put 'to further my career & experience' they never ask questions x

Back