Help with reason for leaving an employer on an application form

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by big bear, 25 April 2011 Social URL.

1. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I'm applying for a part-time admin job with Young People's Service (those with substance abuse problems)

I worked in the job centre (about 10 years ago) & I left because I worked/lived in the same town & people used to follow me around the supermarket or if I was in a pub etc asking for their giro cheques.

As I was quite young I found this unsettling & was scared.

Do I just put in the reason for leaving box 'for safety reasons'?

Then if they ask if I get an interview I can tell them & just say as I'm older now wouldn't have a problem with this as the job is local & with vulnerable people XX

Thanks

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Funky_Munky

Funky_Munky Put the kettle on

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I wouldnt go into quite so much detail as to why you left due to how long ago it was. Something like 'work/life balance' should cover it. They will probably only be interested in why youre looking to leave your current job.

4. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    That's ok as I'm just finished maternity leave & my last job was a 6 month temp job.

So if I put 'work/life balance' if I get an interview & they ask do it tell them the real reason X

5. lolacola

lolacola Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st3lb(18.45%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I always write 'left to move onto a new opportunity' - it's never been questioned before and I've never been asked to elaborate on it.

6. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    When I was taking people on I was more concerned with lots of job changes without reason, so a 20year old who changed jobs every 3-6 months with 'left for new challenge' or similar got filed!

7. Funky_Munky

Funky_Munky Put the kettle on

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I very much doubt they will ask you about it. I dont think ive ever been asked why i want to leave. If asked you dont have to go into details. Just say something like it wasnt the right job for you at such a young age.

8. Ali*

Ali* Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.01%)
    Diet:
    SW Jan11-Feb12/now CC
    I'd go with this one. Good advice Funky :)

9. Qua Sae

Qua Sae Full Member

I used to put 'unsafe working environment' as a reason for leaving one of my jobs after we were robbed & I had a knife held to my throat! People asked a lot of questions though & it made everyone uncomfortable. It's been so long now that I just took it off my CV. I don't like to lie about why I left (& it wasn't even the event that made me leave, it was the attitude of the managers - who told me that they would never have given up the money, despite being threatened with a knife & they wouldn't hire any more security guards because it wasn't safe for them!)

10. pinacalada

pinacalada Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I put 'to further my career & experience' they never ask questions x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.