Help with risotto

Sexyshell135

Silver Member
Hi I wanna make a risotto this week but in my slow cooker can anyone tell me do you was the rice before hand an shall I put all the stock in or add it through out I'm planing on doing a salmon broccoli an green bean one but not gonna add the veg or fish till about 3 hours till serving I've never had risotto but like the sound of it oh an would you try get a fish stock cube or just use a veg one?

I always wash my rice before cooking.

What are the benefits of putting the risotto in the slow cooker if you'll be in to add stock if necessary, sorry, I know that sounds sharp but I don't mean it too. If I had the option I'd make risotto on the hob in a pan & not slow cooker as it may go soggy & the rice could over cook.

I always wash my rice before cooking.

What are the benefits of putting the risotto in the slow cooker if you'll be in to add stock if necessary, sorry, I know that sounds sharp but I don't mean it too. If I had the option I'd make risotto on the hob in a pan & not slow cooker as it may go soggy & the rice could over cook.
That's ok it's just a friend said they makes there's in the oven sometimes just chuck it all in an leave it on low so thought about doing it in my slow cooker live by this with 2 boys an a 3 month old baby an because I'm doing salmon I don't want to over cook it

I have done a veg risotto in the slow cooker. I don't was my rice, I put everything in inc stick and leave it in low for 4 hrs and font touch it

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

I don't wash rice - can't see the point. Certainly not for a risotto, as it is the starch on the risotto rice (arborio, for instance) which breaks down in cooking to make it creamy.

To make a "proper" risotto, you need to be standing over the pan all the time, adding small amounts of boiling stock and stirring all the time. It is time-consuming, a bit boring, but worth it.

A slow cooker won't work properly if you keep taking the lid off to add more things - you are letting the heat out.

If you want to make an oven-cooked risotto, it's an entirely different thing, but still nice. You just put everything in together and leave it, which is convenient. I have done something similar with barley in a slow cooker.

Thanx for the ideas I might try the slow cooker for 4hours an put it all in if it fails I will go the long way around lol just salmon an broccoli risotto sounds nice an indulgent

Also, it's the constant stirring of the risotto which helps to break down the starch and make it creamy - you won't get that in the slow cooker (not that it won't be nice, but it won't be the same).

Undecided now I'm dreadfull at even cooking rice yet alone a risotto lol but if I don't try I will never no if it's yuk I can always keep a s/w meal in the freezer lol

Back