Help with running please?

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by Hattie, 10 November 2008 Social URL.

1. Hattie

Hattie Member

Hello everyone

Well, i am still very new to this site and haven't got my ticker sorted yet (am due to join WW next week). I could really do with some advice though (and motivation and encouragement) if anyone can help.

I would love to take up running but am worried that I am going to go for the first time, run for 30 seconds, look like a ribeana berry, feel as if i'm about to keel over and give up.:eek:

My partner (we dont live together yet by the way) is very fit and runs 10 miles twice a week, takes part in lots of marathons etc. I dont want to tell him that i'm training until I can at least do 3miles with him (which would comfortably take me on the first part of his route and right back to my front door :)).

I just have no idea where to start or when I have started how long it will take me to be able to build up my time.

Any suggestions would be soooooooooooooooo greatly appreciated.

Hugs to you all

2. Avatar Matched Content

3. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Slimming World
    I recently took part in a 10k run having only started running a few months before. The training plan i used is here: and it's excellent for getting you from a complete novice to being able to run a fair distance without stopping. I found that i noticed improvements in my performance almost every time i went out, and by following the plan it pushed me to do more than what i would've done if i'd gone out on my own.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
  4. Hattie

Hattie Member

Thanks Jen. i'll give it a go. I did do the race for life this year and thought that was going to finish me off :).

How often did you run when you first started?

LOL xxxx
  5. Jennyonaplate

Slimming World
    I usually went out about 3 times a week, before then i'd done absolutely nothing! I went running with my dad and sometimes i'd do the same week over and over, other times i might jump ahead a week or so. So long as i knew how long i was walking/running for though it was fine - your body will let you know what it can and can't do!
  6. Karenlou

Karenlou Gold Member

It was recommended to me that you should start by running a certain number of paces and then walking a certain number e.g. run for thirty paces, walk for fifty, and then increase the running steps and reduce the walking steps.

Good luck.
  7. Angel1974

Angel1974 Loves Porridge

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    gillian michaels body revolution

I have just read your post with interest and would like to share my running tips with you,

I ran 2 10km races in 2006 at about 13 stone, the thought of running back then made me feel sick - but I did it

I set myself lamp post goals! I would walk from one lampost to the next and the run from that one to the next etc, I found it really motivated me as you could see the lampost in the distance so got mentally prepared for it, I did this for about a week, then a progressed to run 2 posts and walk 1. I built up my stamina and running technique pretty quickly. Hope this helps and if I can do it anyone can..
  8. Jennyonaplate

Slimming World
    That's what the training programme I followed did - Up where I am I couldn't really do the lampost thing as it would probably have me running for miles before I saw another one!

Interval training is one of the best ways of improving your fitness, plus you can really see yourself improving.
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.