Help with running please?

Hattie

Hello everyone

Well, i am still very new to this site and haven't got my ticker sorted yet (am due to join WW next week). I could really do with some advice though (and motivation and encouragement) if anyone can help.

I would love to take up running but am worried that I am going to go for the first time, run for 30 seconds, look like a ribeana berry, feel as if i'm about to keel over and give up.:eek:

My partner (we dont live together yet by the way) is very fit and runs 10 miles twice a week, takes part in lots of marathons etc. I dont want to tell him that i'm training until I can at least do 3miles with him (which would comfortably take me on the first part of his route and right back to my front door :)).

I just have no idea where to start or when I have started how long it will take me to be able to build up my time.

Any suggestions would be soooooooooooooooo greatly appreciated.

Hugs to you all

xxxxx

I recently took part in a 10k run having only started running a few months before. The training plan i used is here: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/10k/pdfs/beginner and it's excellent for getting you from a complete novice to being able to run a fair distance without stopping. I found that i noticed improvements in my performance almost every time i went out, and by following the plan it pushed me to do more than what i would've done if i'd gone out on my own.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Thanks Jen. i'll give it a go. I did do the race for life this year and thought that was going to finish me off :).

How often did you run when you first started?

LOL xxxx

I usually went out about 3 times a week, before then i'd done absolutely nothing! I went running with my dad and sometimes i'd do the same week over and over, other times i might jump ahead a week or so. So long as i knew how long i was walking/running for though it was fine - your body will let you know what it can and can't do!

It was recommended to me that you should start by running a certain number of paces and then walking a certain number e.g. run for thirty paces, walk for fifty, and then increase the running steps and reduce the walking steps.

Good luck.

Hello

I have just read your post with interest and would like to share my running tips with you,

I ran 2 10km races in 2006 at about 13 stone, the thought of running back then made me feel sick - but I did it

I set myself lamp post goals! I would walk from one lampost to the next and the run from that one to the next etc, I found it really motivated me as you could see the lampost in the distance so got mentally prepared for it, I did this for about a week, then a progressed to run 2 posts and walk 1. I built up my stamina and running technique pretty quickly. Hope this helps and if I can do it anyone can..

It was recommended to me that you should start by running a certain number of paces and then walking a certain number e.g. run for thirty paces, walk for fifty, and then increase the running steps and reduce the walking steps.

That's what the training programme I followed did - Up where I am I couldn't really do the lampost thing as it would probably have me running for miles before I saw another one!

Interval training is one of the best ways of improving your fitness, plus you can really see yourself improving.

Back