Here today, maintaining tomorrow

A place for my thoughts and achievements because there will be many, many achievements.

05.11.16 I've come to hate clothes shopping and just cant do it anymore. So I have 3 dresses to wear outside of work. 3. One fits but makes me look pregnant, one looks like curtains and I quite like the third but I have to admit it makes me look like a plum. Trousers just don't fit me anymore. I get genuingely anxious about clothes when I have to do "something" and meet people. I'm looking for a bobble hat in a shop with lots of lovely clothes when I spy a dress I like which looks loose and flexible so I take a chance. Huzzah! With a bit of a tug and wiggle it fits!!! It's vanity sizing gone mad and maybe isn't 100% flattering on my bust but I still like it and am less anxious about tomorrow now. Plus, I've now added an extra 25% of clothing to my wardrobe. Win!

06.11.16 Even in my new dress (with a scarf covering my chest because its cold!) Im feeling very self conscious and aware of myself at a kids party. It's a kids party! Everyone is too busy trying to avoid a meltdown over a popped balloon or divert their child from eating the dusty raisin under the bouncy castle to notice me but still... Some mums are talking about how fat they are. Obviously they aren't. It's like we're not allowed to say "actually I'm OK with my weight". I've come to the conclusion that if you can look good in jeans then you're not allowed to say you need to diet. I see a friend who is looking really good. I knew she was on a diet but it's like it suddenly struck me how well it's going for her. I don't talk about my weight to anyone but my husband occassionally. But I asked how she was doing it and admitted that I needed to commit to loosing weight. She said it was slimming world and that I was welcome to come along with her at some point. I thought it's now or never so right now I'm agreeing to go with her tomorrow.

07.11.16 At 13st 2lb and 5' 3" I am obese. I'm not overly shocked at the numbers on the wrapping papered scales (I thought it was an attempt at early festive cheer, I didn't realise they were wrapped for privacy!). When the consultant and I talk about setting my targets I say I want to be within healthy BMI. She annoys me slightly by saying "you'll be shocked at how much that is". I decide 3 stone but I want an interim target to keep me on track so flustered, I set one. The consultant gives me a look and hands my book back unfilled. I'm confused and a bit upset until I realise when I get home that although I meant 1stone I may have said I want my interim target to be 1lb! Target member in no time! Haha!

14.11.16 weigh in number 1. I spent most of the week trying to understand the logic. I still don't 100% and we already had some meals planned so I've stuck to "sensible" food choices rather than follow the programme as such. Im expecting a loss, if only because I've not had any chocolate. I'm rewarded with 3.5lbs. I'm very happy with that, especially when I pick something up weighing 3.5lbs - it's actually quite a lot and I wouldn't want to have to carry that around all day - and yet I have! Spurred on I enter a new week with a sw friendly meal plan.

Good luck on your journey. I have recently rejoined Slimming World as it is the only diet I have found that works for me. I have been rather silly though and set my Target loss as 6 stone! Maybe I should have set an interim target!

Good luck on your journey. I have recently rejoined Slimming World as it is the only diet I have found that works for me. I have been rather silly though and set my Target loss as 6 stone! Maybe I should have set an interim target!

Hi Crafty, nothing silly with 6st! :) you will do it! I set interim targets only because I am likely to get easily disheartened and this way, I've got one target at a time - much more achievable for me personally. I can see the advantage of sticking to the big one though - it'll be an amazing feeling when you get there!

19.11.16. Ah. Bum. The universe (and my lack of will power - already!) conspired against me.
Tuesday - someone made cakes. I didn't want one but "no" would have genuingely caused offence/upset. I didn't enjoy it.
Wednesday - I ended up at a conference. I didn't know until I got to work so the lunch I'd bought in was no use. I tried to make good choices with limited options. I felt proud of myself for thinking about what I ate but I spent the afternoon feeling h-angry!
Thursday - we were caught in the rain and needed to warm up. I can't drink tea or coffee and the shop had no herbal tea so I got a hot chocolate. I ordered cream, marshmallows, the whole syn-y lot without thinking. It was so worth it though - yum! If I'd stopped then, all would have been ok but nope, of course it didn't! It started my chocolate cravings off again. Hugely.
Today - I gave in and had a little very dark chocolate... that turned into a little more... and then a little bit more... Now all I can think about is chocolate. I thought I'd got past this but clearly not yet so no chocolate in any form for a while. Sob.
To top it all off I said yes when my husband went for a takeaway this evening. I don't know why; I didn't want it. I still ate it though and now feel overly full and sick. I need to remember this feeling - I feel like this 99% of the time he gets a takeaway.
Tomorrow we are at a do at pizza express. I can take or leave pizza but had been planning for it because I'm nervous about being "that" person who orders the salad. Desperately trying not to fall into the "I've already messed up this week so it doesn't matter anyway" trap.
Weigh in Monday.

Draw a line under the week and start fresh on Monday morning. You can't undo this week so don't dwell on it or you will do what I have done in the past and let one bad week spoil all your hard work so far. You know you can do this. All the best.

Thank you for your encouragement Crafty. How are you doing?

21.11.16 Week 2. My week didn't improve following my post above. Lots of bad choices. HOWEVER I have come to the conclusion that this is not a diet. If I was purely after weight loss then there are lots of quicker (easier?) ways to do that. This is more about changing my approach and attitude to food. I may still be making "less optimal" choices sometimes but I am thinking about it and I am eating food instead of just inhaling it. So im not banning foods and nor am I getting bogged down about weight as long as psychologically I'm improving and my food is being considered with a different attitude.
That being said... tonight Matthew I will be 3.5lbs lighter! I have now lost 0.5stone and feel fabulous! I also ahem, got SOTW! Big grin!

05.12.16 Very happy to have maintained this week. Visited family over the weekend who don't know I'm sw-ing (sw-ing? That makes it sound FUN!) and are fans of take aways. I didn't have a huge amount of choice over the food so I tried to manage portions instead. Without letting on!
I realised why we don't have scales at home though - I was like a woman possessed! They won't be added to our shopping list anytime soon.
We missed our connection coming back so were stuck in the train station for almost 2 hours. We had heavy bags and there was only me to carry them so I really didn't want to go exploring! My weekend polish the halo moment was walking away from the Burger King in the station. Instead we went to Yo!Sushi. I had some rice ball thing with pickled veg and salmon. It wasn't great but it was certainly miles better than a BK. I did however, forgot to pick up cutlery so we were sat on a crowded rickety train using chopsticks to pick up edemone (sp?) beans. The man opposite did not appreciate the child accidently chucking beans onto his laptop. Whoops!
So yeah, happy to maintain. I want 3lbs off next week though. I want to have lost 1st by Christmas so I need to step up my game.

Well done for walking away from BK. I can spend hours debating what food choice is the best calorie wise when I'm out and about. I once walked all around London train station and in the end had to run for my train without any food because I couldn't decide. Good luck for next week's weigh in! xx
And I thought I was the only crazy one that did that! Sometimes my 10minute walk home from work can take me literally 2 hours as I wander from shop to takeaway debating with myself whether to give into temptation!!! X

09.12.16 So, I'm wondering if I have some sort of food intolerance. For some time I've known that sometimes when I eat my tummy gets hard and swollen and I feel really sick and uncomfortable. I always just thought it was that I'd eaten too much or something but since being more aware of what I'm eating I've realised this does not relate to how much I've eaten or when etc. So as well as logging food I'm going to start logging the effect it has on me. It might just be one of those things or it might be that I do need to be aware of something.

11.12.16 oh why, oh why, oh why do I self sabotage? I was on track to hit the mystical stone this week. And then... yesterday. A cafe nero full fat hot chocolate. I didn't have whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles or marshallows, I did however have almost a full slice of their chocolate brownie, followed by an M&S apple turnover. Admittedly this was bought for the child who then didn't eat it and it wouldn't have lasted to today. I had parmasan with tea (although gold stars for measuring it surely?). Then half a bottle of fizz and a shot (I think it was just the one!) of whiskey.
I can't handle alcohol anymore. This morning I feel hungover and am having sugar withdrawal. My epilepsy meds tend to make me feel unwell and shaky most morning anyway so today is pretty bad. Am wondering if alcohol is worth it.

We all slip up from time to time and I know from experience that one bad day dieting is not what does the damage...it is throwing in the towel and letting the wagon you slipped off the day before roll over you,

Thanks Mini. You are of course completely right.
My target was a stone before Christmas and as long as I lose something this evening (which I think I will), it's still achievable. And if not, then this isn't a race. As I said above I want this to be a new way of eating, and not about the weight.

Back