Herman the German and the Carb Hangover from Hell!

RenewMe

So... I was officially 'Hermanated'. 10 days ago my Hubby handed me a tub of paste mix that a work colleague had given him and I recoiled in horror when I realised it was the start of 'Herman the German Friendship cake'... something I thought I would NEVER receive and had read about with great dread......
I guess it was my own damn fault. Before I had started S&S my love of baking had bought about Hubby bringing my beloved creations to work, devoured by his hungry and appreciative work colleagues, a ruse to stop me from eating the damn lot :eek: Obviously baking ceased once I started S&S and I guess this was a hint to get started again....:rolleyes:

So after 9 days of cultivation, Herman's demise was yesterday, day 10 was finally here and at 6am yesterday, (yes 6AM!!) I was up carefully mixing ingredients chopping apples and adding mixed spice to the bubbling concoction adamant that I would not touch a crumb....
Hubby arrived at 07:15 (he works nightshift), most surprised to see me up at the crack of dawn, even more surprised when he realised that Herman was due.... Herman came out of the oven all golden brown and smelling delicious. Hubby said it would be 'sacriledge' if I didn't taste Herman.. I ignored his words and made my Crispy Choc Shake for breakfast.....

I was sooooo good.... the intentions were there.... I went into town with my Mum and DD and we watched while DD ate McDonalds and I sat cradling a black coffee, (Mum who is on her own health kick had a cup of tea).

When we got home in the afternoon and I opened the front door, the smell hit me, all apples and cinnamon... Herman was calling my name and I ended up cutting a sizable chunk spread with butter and there it was - EPIC FAIL !!!!:wave_cry:
So much was the guilt, I ended up eating my spicy spaghetti pack with cauliflower, as much water as I could drink and flung myself into bed, so just TWO S&S packs for the day and a slice of Herman.... EEKK):eek:
And this morning I woke with the Mother of all carb Hangovers... I could barely drag myself out of bed when DD woke at the crack of dawn saying she was 'Hungry' and after many attempts to get up, then several cups of black coffee and a cuprofen, I am just about back in the 'Land of the living'

I am asolutely livid with myself. I am so near to goal and always end up sabotaging myself. Next Sat I am Godmother to my Niece so there will be a feast to be had and on the Sunday, it is DD's 7th Birthday, so roll out the cake and everything else... What's even worse is I have eaten all my favourite S&S packs and have to finish all the worst ones this week on the lead up to another weekend of Hell...

Oh well back to the grind...... xxx :cry:

Chin up Hun, it's not as bad as you think.
There will always be temptation and since you are so close to goal, maybe it's time to start re-introducing food?
There are plenty of peeps on here who have fab plans for losing the last few pounds slowly or maintenance, so hopefully they will be along soon to offer advice x x
Sending a HUGE hug your way
Beth x

It'll be ok hun,just do your best,thats all anyone can do,if any of the packs you don't like are shakes,you can change the flavour with a big teaspoon of coffee-thats how I get my caramel down-they made me feel sick,but when coffee's added and they're warmed up they're fine.If some packs are meals maybe you could add a few herbs,salt,pepper?
Got to say,that cake sounds amazing-if I weren't dieting I'd have asked for the recipe.

Thanks Beth

It has been one hell of a journey. My top weight was 14.8 so it can be done!! Good luck to you too xxx

I baked my third Herman yesterday and i now have worked out what makes you eat lots of Herman, the sugar! You put that much in over the 10 days and then at the end that after one slice your body just craves it!
Damn you Herman....

It'll be ok hun,just do your best,thats all anyone can do,if any of the packs you don't like are shakes,you can change the flavour with a big teaspoon of coffee-thats how I get my caramel down-they made me feel sick,but when coffee's added and they're warmed up they're fine.If some packs are meals maybe you could add a few herbs,salt,pepper?
Got to say,that cake sounds amazing-if I weren't dieting I'd have asked for the recipe.

Trust me you WOULDN'T want the recipe! My problem isn't food in general, I have a terrible sweet tooth, that is my downfall!!! :S

I baked my third Herman yesterday and i now have worked out what makes you eat lots of Herman, the sugar! You put that much in over the 10 days and then at the end that after one slice your body just craves it!
Damn you Herman....

I should have known I would get a 'carb hangover' I felt like hell this morning. TBH, I haven't felt right all day, totally groggy and heavy eyed. I don't even take sweetener so no wonder I felt terrible! We just passed Herman on to 2 very dismayed recipients with a footnote saying IT CANNOT BE RETURNED. (teehee!!!) I froze one portion! I didn't really want to bake a Herman at all, but curiosity got the better of me...
Yes damn you Herman indeed......

xxx

Wish I could add something to the red fruits shake!!!:sign0137::yuk: xxx

I was given a herman, I was not a good carer for it! my boyfriends mum ended up doing most of it! I was so shocked by the sugar in it! Im just about to start back on a VLCD but since my last one the amount of carbs and sugar in my diet is tiny from what it was. I bake my own brownies quite often, I put no flour (use ground almonds) no butter (oil) and a tiny bit of honey instead of sugar, they are satisfying too! if anyones on their way back to normal food soon, loves a chocolate hit ill send my recipe your way :]

those carb hangovers are rotten too! Ill have one tomorrow as ive had my last meal tonight, gonna drown the sugar away.. I like to think the water is washing it all out..

That sounds delish! I was very tempted to ask you for the recipe, but I think I need to wait about 6 months! Oh go on please post the recipe.:D

That sounds delish! I was very tempted to ask you for the recipe, but I think I need to wait about 6 months! Oh go on please post the recipe.:D

I am sorry Claire but I will NOT put temptation in your way! It is for your own damn good!! Besides, it is basically a chain letter but an edible kind and you have to either receive it or start it and pass the remaining mixture on!
If you are desperate to JUST find out about it, google, Herman the German friendship Cake....

Please do NOT make it, you have done SOOOOO well so far... xxx

I'm heading to google now...I've never heard of Herman - I hope I never do by the sounds of it! I am curious tho :)

Herman is addictive - WARNING WARNING!!!
lol!

LOL! I will google it as I've never heard of it. Promise not to make it!

This gives me an idea (big hmmm and a stroke of the chin)
Could we come up with a healthy Herman and pass it around ourselves?
I know there are some recipes on here, surely we can come up with something?

Great idea but if you took the sugar away from Herman he just would not be the same :(

Back