Hey, Newbie with over 20 stone to lose

You panda are an absolute inspiration! I love how focused and positive you are, you must be so proud of yourself :)

Not so positive today - I'm really weepy today. Right big bag of soggy bubbles today. Diet got screwed this morning when I ate a whole box of Beechs Raspberry Cremes. First time in 8 months. Blimey. Didn't even like them that much either. So being pro active about it and going to do some extra exercise a bit later.

Well I've been on 1400 for a week and it hasn't really made a lot of difference but surely 2-3 months plateau can't be good. Never known it to go on that long. Much prefer sticking to 1600 calories tbh as I don't get hungry. Thinking of speaking with my OH's personal trainer to see if she can recommend anything. I've got a feeling that it's not enough water again and the fact that my SAD is creeping up on me (and so I've not been sleeping properly). I'm finding it really hard at the moment with the weather but if i can crack this, I'll be fine.

So today's been ruined already but I'm just going to carry on as normal and not think about it as I'll only bog myself down with guilt and that's no good to anyone. Any tips for getting over this phase?

hi hun
my friend suffers from SAD and my heart goes out to you both i think you solved your problem yourself love you just got to brush yourself down like you have and put it to the back off your mind and carry on with the rest of the day x x x x

Oh yeah Chezz, won't let it affect the rest of the day. Just one of those things. Tomorrows a new day (just got the OH to put all the chocolate on the highest shelf in the kitchen anyway which I can't reach, and if I can't see it, it doesn't affect me lol). x

You definitely need to up your calories, hon. You're not eating anywhere near enough, so that'll be why you've plateaued. Do you know what your BMR is? :) xx

You definitely need to up your calories, hon. You're not eating anywhere near enough, so that'll be why you've plateaued. Do you know what your BMR is? :) xx

I just checked, and your BMR would be around 2,500, so if it was me that's what I'd be eating, as I've always followed the rule of not eating below your BMR. It's worked for me all the way through to target, and still is now I'm below target too. :) xx

Well if you are not losing on 1400 then why continue to be so strict? You may as well increase at least to 1600 or 1800, maybe more, as others have suggested.

I just checked, and your BMR would be around 2,500, so if it was me that's what I'd be eating, as I've always followed the rule of not eating below your BMR. It's worked for me all the way through to target, and still is now I'm below target too. :) xx

What Tracy said! :) I'm living proof that it doesn't work eating less. When I first started here I was trying to stick on 1500 or less. Some days was 1200 at around 24 stone and nothing was going on. I listened to the wemitt experts and upped it right up to 2200ish as my bmr worked out and it started dropping again.

Hope you're feeling better love - don't suffer in silence and let it detract the hard work you've done. Rant here - and see if you can get any help from the doctor? xx

I've upped them and put on 2lbs. Doesn't your BMR only work if you're moderately active though? I still can't walk properly so spend about 80% of the day sitting down. I don't really want to eat much more than 1800 calories a day if I can help it. If I'm not plateauing now I'm putting it on. Need some advice - should I try upping it for a few weeks and see what happens??

What Tracy said! :) I'm living proof that it doesn't work eating less. When I first started here I was trying to stick on 1500 or less. Some days was 1200 at around 24 stone and nothing was going on. I listened to the wemitt experts and upped it right up to 2200ish as my bmr worked out and it started dropping again.

Hope you're feeling better love - don't suffer in silence and let it detract the hard work you've done. Rant here - and see if you can get any help from the doctor? xx

Doctor won't even come out to see me. Asked the district nurse to come out 3 times and they've made appointments and never turned up. Might have to change doctors again.

I'm getting disheartened as it's been 3 months and I've plateaued, literally tried so hard and nothing. SAD is creeping in but I'm keeping it at bay thankfully but buying Christmas presents (choccie for family/friends that's on offer) and it's staring at me every bloody day with me yearning to eat it. Hadn't even thought about chocolate for months. Determined not to put any of the weight on though as it's been hard work but so tough getting on the scales once a week to see it just not shifting. OH is going to ask his personal trainer today and see what she says and if I have to up the calories then so be it I'll do it, even if I put on a couple of pound to lose a couple more stone, I'll take it for the team. Hasn't helped that the OH is just a stone off his target now (ratbag lol) and is doing so well. Initially I was beaming because I was losing faster (which I would as I had more to lose anyway) but now I'm not so happy... think I might start sneaking his calories up on his plan lol, nah I wouldn't do that but I just want to lose weight!!

However, I've bought myself a few new tops for Christmas that I'm looking forward to wearing so that's motivation, just want to shift it! Arrghhh. Very damn annoying I can tell you. Thing is when I started the diet, I was on 2,250 and didn't lose anything at all so purposely came down to 1800 to lose it, so you can understand I'm apprehensive about putting the cals up as I'm just not moving enough and can't really force the ol' body to do it as it hadn't exercised in about 25 years. #inaquandry

Just worked out my BMR and my HBE: BMR: 2404 and HBE 2,884 so safe weight loss is 500-1000 calories less than that (Calorie Intake to Lose Weight) so I should be on no less than 1884 calories to lose weight then. Anyone?

Just worked out my BMR and my HBE: BMR: 2404 and HBE 2,884 so safe weight loss is 500-1000 calories less than that (Calorie Intake to Lose Weight) so I should be on no less than 1884 calories to lose weight then. Anyone?

I definitely wouldn't go any lower than that, hon. I've always eaten around my BMR (you say you spend 80% of your time sitting down, mine's more like 99%, lol) and am now less than half my starting weight, so it's really worked for me. I know plateaus are discouraging, but I really would be wary of trying to force your way out of it with a calorie reduction, as it'll cause real problems further down the line. I hope it starts moving for you again soon, however you decide to tackle it. :) xx

I think you're totally right Tracy. I'm going to up it to the 1884 and try that. Even if I move my goal post to Christmas 2016, it'll still get done. Xx

Last edited:
Doctor won't even come out to see me. Asked the district nurse to come out 3 times and they've made appointments and never turned up. Might have to change doctors again.

I'm getting disheartened as it's been 3 months and I've plateaued, literally tried so hard and nothing. SAD is creeping in but I'm keeping it at bay thankfully but buying Christmas presents (choccie for family/friends that's on offer) and it's staring at me every bloody day with me yearning to eat it. Hadn't even thought about chocolate for months. Determined not to put any of the weight on though as it's been hard work but so tough getting on the scales once a week to see it just not shifting. OH is going to ask his personal trainer today and see what she says and if I have to up the calories then so be it I'll do it, even if I put on a couple of pound to lose a couple more stone, I'll take it for the team. Hasn't helped that the OH is just a stone off his target now (ratbag lol) and is doing so well. Initially I was beaming because I was losing faster (which I would as I had more to lose anyway) but now I'm not so happy... think I might start sneaking his calories up on his plan lol, nah I wouldn't do that but I just want to lose weight!!

However, I've bought myself a few new tops for Christmas that I'm looking forward to wearing so that's motivation, just want to shift it! Arrghhh. Very damn annoying I can tell you. Thing is when I started the diet, I was on 2,250 and didn't lose anything at all so purposely came down to 1800 to lose it, so you can understand I'm apprehensive about putting the cals up as I'm just not moving enough and can't really force the ol' body to do it as it hadn't exercised in about 25 years. #inaquandry

Aw sweetheart that sucks :( That's largely why we left our doctors practice a few years back, despite having been there since before my brother and I were born because the doctor was all "eh, it's weight"

Yes. Because an allergy to pollen is clearly because of your weight(!)

Look after yourself lovely - you have to love yourself to keep going and losing the weight :) You've come so far and done SO amazingly! 8stone is such an achievement!

I definitely wouldn't go any lower than that, hon. I've always eaten around my BMR (you say you spend 80% of your time sitting down, mine's more like 99%, lol) and am now less than half my starting weight, so it's really worked for me. I know plateaus are discouraging, but I really would be wary of trying to force your way out of it with a calorie reduction, as it'll cause real problems further down the line. I hope it starts moving for you again soon, however you decide to tackle it. :) xx

What she said!! :) You'll have no way to be able to drop it a little bit further if you go too low :) xx Good luck lovely!

I think you're totally right Tracy. I'm going to up it to the 1884 and try that. Even if I move my goal post to Christmas 2016, it'll still get done. Xx

Good luck lovely! :) You're definitely facing it all the right way xx

listen to the girls love i have given myself a good talking to this week and i'm determined that im going to fight this fight once and for all x x x

What the others have said :) if you go too low too soon you will have nothing to drop to.

Psp I have a doctor who blames everything in weight but only have a choice of two here. The other is a woman who won't prescribe the pill??!!!

That's weird :confused: is it on religious grounds or something? It suks when you're not listened too doesn't it.

Good luck chezz!

Hope you're ok, Bubbly

Back