hi everyone

nanamoon

started taking xenical 4 weeks ago but only lost 2 lb :sigh: dont know whether its coming of slowly because i have hypothyroid as well,but will carry on and hope it comes of at next weigh in fingers crossed.

Hi nanamoon :) It could very well be the hypothyroid causing the slow weight loss. Do you keep a food diary at all, maybe that could also help pin point any probs?
xx

Hiya Nana welcome to mini's :)

True what ali said about hypo possibly causing slowed weightloss, have you had your bloods checked recently, my mum has hypothyroidism and hers tends to slow to a halt when her meds arent at the right dosage, it's worth checking out!! xx

Hi, Thought you might find this article interesting
Good luck
xx
Thyroid Patients Need to Be Careful When Taking Weight Loss Drugs Alli / Xenical / Orlistat

Thursday April 30, 2009
metabolic-syndrome.jpg
The only FDA-approved over-the-counter weight loss drug is Alli -- which is the brand name for the medication orlistat. (Orlistat in higher dosages is also available by prescription under the brand name Xenical.) Orlistat is a fat-blocking drug, taken with meals to help block some of the fat -- and therefore calories -- from meals, as an aid in losing weight.
In late March, 2009, the FDA approved safety labeling revisions for levothyroxine sodium tablets (i.e., Synthroid, Levoxyl, etc.) to advise of drug interactions with orlistat. Levothyroxine's prescribing information will now include a warning that indicates that use of orlistat may decrease levothyroxine absorption and lead to hypothyroidism, and that clinicians are advised to administer levothyroxine and orlistat at least 4 hours apart and to perform regular evaluations of thyroid function.
Xenical's prescribing information (PDF) has already been revised to reflect the potential interaction between orlistat and levothyroxine. Specifically:
  • Under "Drug Interactions," they have added "Hypothyroidism has been reported in patients treated concomitantly with orlistat and levothyroxine"
  • Under "Adverse Reactions / Other Clinical Studies or Postmarketing Surveillance," they have added, "Hypothyroidism has been reported in patients treated concomitantly with orlistat and levothyroxine."
  • Under "Can I take XENICAL while taking other medications?" they have added "XENICAL and levothyroxine should be taken at least 4 hours apart"
Bottom line: If you're a thyroid patient trying to lose weight -- as many are -- keep in mind that Alli or Xenical may affect absorption of your thyroid medication, and make you more hypothyroid. Take your thyroid medication at least 4 hours apart from your Alli or Xenical. And have your thyroid evaluated more frequently while you're taking the medication, to make sure you don't need a dosage adjustment of your thyroid medication.

hey nana !

very interesting post from skye there! Maybe its worth havong a chat with your doc when you go again. YOu could start a food diary and show him what youve been eating

luv katie
xxx

thanxs for all the replys yes i did read up on xenical and thyroid med, i do take my thyroin at 6 am but am due for my monthly blood test so will see if it has affected my thyroid medication,as for the last 2 week seem to be more hungry.Will let you all know and thanx xxx

Back