Hi, looking for some info please

cwatt06

Ive signed up on here to try and find some ways to help my girlfrend lose weight. Im currently doing the complete opposite as im looking to bulk and put on weight so im totaly clueless on what to do.
She is currently about 5 " 6 and about 11 stone. Her goal has always been to get down to about the 9 stone range, ive lately motivated her to try to properly and so she has been going to the gym and burning off roughly 500 - 800 calories each time she goes. She goes at least 2 times a week. This has been for the last 3 weeks. She does eat so little that i dont understand how she isnt losing as much as some of the peoples diarys i see on here. She eats a tiny bit of cereal in the moringin, an apple and a weight watchers biscuit for lunch and then has her evening meal which her mum cooks ( so wouldnt be too unhealthy?) In the 3 weeks she has dropped 4 lbs i think.
Sorry about the essay lol but any help on how i could help her would be much appreciated.
Thanks

what does your girlfriend want to do,,is she happy with the weightloss or is it not going quick enough for her,,if she came here jerself she might get some tips and ideas,,everyone is great,,

She has been really chuffed when she weighs herself on her dedicated day fo the week. (Although she cant stop herself weighing herself everyday lol she counts her thursday reading). The weight loss in itself is goood its just that her weight fluctuates so much. 1 day shes 10 stone 13 then the next shes 11 stone 1 without eating badly or anything, this really disheartens her. Looking at some peoples signatures on here i feel that if she lost a significant amount in say 3 weeks she would believe in hersef and carry on.

hi ul find weight fluctuates all time, i get on then an hour later 2lb heavier, best just to weigh same day once a week, because it does put you on a downer

A lot of us guys on these forums are on 'Total Food Replacement' diets like Lipotrim or Cambridge Diet. Basically we do not eat any food, but just have three shakes/soups a day. Its a very low calorie diet and people lose on average a stone a month....most lose more. I couldn't lose much doing conventional diets, but have lost nearly three stone doing both of the above diets. Read some of the threads...I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

maybe she isn't eating enough. If your body doesn't get enough food it goes into starvation mode and stores the fat rather than using it. As she doesn't have a lot to lose I would advise joining a slimming club like Slimming World or Weight watchers as that would give her a lifetime plan of healthy eating and with the exercise as well she should notice good results

S The weight loss in itself is goood its just that her weight fluctuates so much. 1 day shes 10 stone 13 then the next shes 11 stone 1 without eating badly or anything, this really disheartens her.

Is she weighing herself at different times of the day? I usually find that I am a couple of pounds heavier in the evening that I am in the morning.

It could very well be as someone else has said, that shes not eating enough.

Has she thought about WW or SW??

I don't know what age she is but using a 'guess' age of 25 and her stats (5ft 6 & 11 stone) and describing her as lightly active- she would burn 2100cals during a typical day (more if she excercises that day). This would be what she needs to eat to maintain her current weight. If she wants to drop 2lbs a week then she would need a 1000cal deficit a day which is 1100cals a day- that is below the 'magic' 1200cals an average adult woman NEEDS to function properly- i.e. before her body starts to 'eat' muscle as well as fat because its starving? BUt if she exercises & burns say 200cals then she'll be 'eating' 1300cals a day (2100-1000+200= 1300) so should be fine. This is a healthy way to lose weight. It really sounds as if her body has gone into starvation mode and is hanging on to every calorie she eats. If she aims for 1200cals a day roughly, she may gain a little at first (as her metabolism recovers) but will soon start to lose 'properly' as the body realises she's no longer starving it. I'm living proof that this 'eat more to lose more' theory works! I lost 6lb my first week of 'dieting, then 2lbs, then 1lb then stalled for 7 wks!! I was living on 7-800 cals a day. I upped it slowly to 11-1200cals a day & gained 2lbs th first week, but stuck at it and lost 3lbs the next week. I've been losing 1-2lbs a week since- sometimes more. HTH?

She is currently about 5 " 6 and about 11 stone. Her goal has always been to get down to about the 9 stone range,

Hiya. Welcome to minimins :)

It sounds like she wants to get to the lower end of her BMI, which will take patience.:sigh:
She does eat so little that i dont understand how she isnt losing as much as some of the peoples diarys i see on here. She eats a tiny bit of cereal in the moringin, an apple and a weight watchers biscuit for lunch and then has her evening meal which her mum cooks ( so wouldnt be too unhealthy?) In the 3 weeks she has dropped 4 lbs i think.
Okay. A few things going through my mind.

4lbs is good in 3 weeks. Roughly what is recommended, especially on that last couple of stone.

She could be in starvation mode as others have suggested. If that's the case, she should find that increasing her calories will help.

Something else could be going on though, and please forgive me for this, because I could be so wrong:eek: Falling off the wagon when you are dieting is embarrassing:eek: It makes you feel that you are weak, greedy, have no control around food. It's something that can be very hard to admit, especially around people that are slim

Before I lost my weight, I only ever told people what I ate on my 'good' days. Prayed to God that they didn't ask me all the other days:eek:

I'm stabbing in the dark here and really don't want to offend, but talking from my own experience, and knowing about many other dieters, it's incredibly hard to admit to eating more than you should.

It does sound like she's in starvation mode...but you never really know. I don't think many of us would openly admit to our spouses exactly how much we sometimes eat when we are supposedly 'on the wagon'.

Or maybe it was just me ;)

kd has hit the nail on the head there.
It will take time but she should be delighted with herself as she will be getting fitter and will be looking healthier as she goes along. And in time the weight will fall off.

PersonallyI think the numbers on the scale mean F all at times... once u look healthly and toned who cares what those numbers are.She will still look great.

A few years ago I was quiet ill and I went down to 8 stone ( Im 5.5) v ( ****** gall stones AGAIN)

I was delighted with myself until I went shopping , yeah I could fit into a size 8 but did I look rough. It really did not suit me one bit. So it goes to show sometimes when U get to the weight U thought ud always wanted it might not be for u.Thats why my new motto is - as long as Im healthly lookin Im happy .

shes isnt eating enough!!!!!!!! your body goes into shock if u eat so little and excersize on no fuel..little and often is the key ....also its no gd eating hardly anything during the day then eating a big meal at night your body just stores it.......im gold weight watchers member i sugest she goes there to a meeting and it will fall off her....

shes isnt eating enough!!!!!!!! your body goes into shock if u eat so little and excersize on no fuel..little and often is the key ....also its no gd eating hardly anything during the day then eating a big meal at night your body just stores it.......im gold weight watchers member i sugest she goes there to a meeting and it will fall off her....

Back