Hi

jayne3110

Gold Member
Hi
After far too many years of dieting and being anti low carb diets(such as Atkins) I have decided to try low GI.
I had gestation diabetes when I was 29 (15 years ago) and while it went as soon as I had my DD I know that I am more at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
I am starting this on Monday.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks I think I will probably drive you all mad with questions lol
Xxxxxxxxx

Welcome Jayne. How is your GL diet going so far? Keep posting and ask any questions you want. We will do our best to share our own experiences with you.

Hi Jayne. I just restarted low GL yesterday, and am glad to be back :)

I think that you will find low GI/GL much better than low carb; it's all about the right carbs in the right portions. So there's none of that horrible ketosis, and you can still have a sandwich for lunch if you really want to :)

Good luck x

Hi jayne,
I just started today!!! i did the diet before christmas and i really enjoyed it just was always doing something so I could never stay on plan for a full week. so here's hoping i can do it this time. but i'm sure with everyones support i'll do well
Lauren xX

Welcome Jayne. How is your GL diet going so far? Keep posting and ask any questions you want. We will do our best to share our own experiences with you.
It is going better than I thought it would as I normally eat loads of carbs,the only problem I have had is tiredness,not sleeping well and a headache
Hi Jayne. I just restarted low GL yesterday, and am glad to be back :)

I think that you will find low GI/GL much better than low carb; it's all about the right carbs in the right portions. So there's none of that horrible ketosis, and you can still have a sandwich for lunch if you really want to :)

Good luck x
Thanks good luck with your restart

Hi jayne,
I just started today!!! i did the diet before christmas and i really enjoyed it just was always doing something so I could never stay on plan for a full week. so here's hoping i can do it this time. but i'm sure with everyones support i'll do well
Lauren xX
Thanks
Good luck to you
I am posting my food for the last 3 days

Monday

B porridge
L bacon,tom,scrambled egg,mushrooms and i small slice of wholegrain bread
D roast chicken with roasted veg
snacks 1/2 pt of skimmed milk and veg sticks if needed
cals 1210

Tuesday
Porridge
Broccoli soup and tuna salad
Gammon,toms,quorn sausage,egg and. A small seeded bread bun
1150 cals

Wednesday
porridge
soup and salad
salmon and veg
snacks mixed nuts and skimmed milk
1200 cals
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like your doing really well so far!!!
Are you enjoying it?
Good luck with it
Lauren xX

Hi Jane. Welcome to the forum.

Hope you are feeling better. Sometimes the body takes a few days to adjust to the eating plan. If it carries on though, it might be worth re-assessing the amount of calories you are taking in. It looks like you are aiming for 1200. That is very low indeed - I know because I aim for 1250 but then I am under 5ft! I bet if you upped your calorie intake to say 1500 you would still lose weight. Give it another week or so and see how you feel. :)

Also, your food is looking pretty good. Just a few questions:

* Porridge - do you add a few nuts or a small amount of seeds to it already?
* Do you eat something within 4 hours of your last meal/snack?
* Do you have 2 or 3 snacks a day? ( I have one mid-morning, mid afternoon and one after dinner around now)
* Do you include protein with your snack?

Last edited:
Sounds like your doing really well so far!!!
Are you enjoying it?
Good luck with it
Lauren xX
Thanks I am not sure I would use the word enjoying lol but it has been easier than I thought

Hi Jane. Welcome to the forum.

Hope you are feeling better. Sometimes the body takes a few days to adjust to the eating plan. If it carries on though, it might be worth re-assessing the amount of calories you are taking in. It looks like you are aiming for 1200. That is very low indeed - I know because I aim for 1250 but then I am under 5ft! I bet if you upped your calorie intake to say 1500 you would still lose weight. Give it another week or so and see how you feel. :)

Also, your food is looking pretty good. Just a few questions:

* Porridge - do you add a few nuts or a small amount of seeds to it already?
* Do you eat something within 4 hours of your last meal/snack?
* Do you have 2 or 3 snacks a day? ( I have one mid-morning, mid afternoon and one after dinner around now)
* Do you include protein with your snack?
Hi
I am aiming for 1500 cals a day but this week I have been struggling to eat that many.The problem is that I usually would eat a lot of carbs so I haven't really found anything to replace them with
I have fruit with my porridge
As I am work I can only eat at certain times so I have breakfast at 10,fruit at 12,lunch between 2.30 and 3,if I am going to have a protein snack it is usually at 6 and then dinner between 7.30 and 8
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Welcome Jayne! Sounds like you're a good start with low GL foods!

I know what you mean about finding replacement for the carb snacks. I think snacks are the hardest part of the diet and I tend to eat the same thing over and over. I eat peanut butter with my banana or apple (although fruit does not feature much in my winter diet), hummus, and a lot of cottage cheese because it is low in calories and I can eat a lot of it.:D

Do try to have protein at every meal inc snacks. It does not have to be a lot. For example, teaspoon of nuts or seeds w/ porridge or have a side of egg or ham or smoked mackerel. With your mid morning fruit, a few nuts or a small amount of cheese or yogurt. It will up your calorie count and help you feel fuller for longer.:)

I usually have cottage cheese with nuts, or apples with peanut butter for snacks. If I'm on the go I carry a Allévo low gi diet bar in my purse.

Back