Hmm - doing Cambridge for Sponsorship - would it work?

Lily

Gold Member
Hiya folks

As I sit here contemplating getting going on my gazillionth restart - you know, the one that will definitely be my last, the one where I'll lose all my surplus weight and go up all the steps properly, and not let anything get in my way or any stupid thoughts derail my motivation, etc., etc... :D

...I can't help but wonder whether it might be an idea to lose weight for a charitable cause.

Or whether it wouldn't. :) Whether all that would happen would be that I might fall off the wagon and feel guiltier than ever, and end up raiding my own piggy bank to pay over the sponsorship that I would've raised had I managed to stick things out.

Or would the fear of failure actually help me through the cr*p times and keep me going?

Now obviously, the best reason to lose weight is for yourself. I've been around the loop enough times to know that's what everyone says. But I do want to lose weight for myself. It's just I really want to give myself a big enough kick up the rear to get to where I want to get.

Anyone ever tried it - gone down the raising money for charity by doing a sponsored slim route?

Do you think it's a crazy idea? Ill-advised? Or does it have potential?

Losing Weight for Sponsorship /Charity

Hiya folks

As I sit here contemplating getting going on my gazillionth restart - you know, the one that will definitely be my last, the one where I'll lose all my surplus weight and go up all the steps properly, and not let anything get in my way or any stupid thoughts derail my motivation, etc., etc... :D

This time it can be... have you bought and started reading the Beck book?

...I can't help but wonder whether it might be an idea to lose weight for a charitable cause.

It's a great idea, but do you really want to ask other people to become invested in your weight loss? I do not like asking for money... not even for charity. That is why I offer to sponsor other people, but will not ask people to sponsor me. (Personal thing.)

Or whether it wouldn't. :) Whether all that would happen would be that I might fall off the wagon and feel guiltier than ever, and end up raiding my own piggy bank to pay over the sponsorship that I would've raised had I managed to stick things out.

I think this could be a real possiblity -- do you really want to put more pressure on yourself?

Or would the fear of failure actually help me through the cr*p times and keep me going?

Did "fear of failure" work in the past attempts?

Now obviously, the best reason to lose weight is for yourself.

There you go... you know what the answer is.

I've been around the loop enough times to know that's what everyone says. But I do want to lose weight for myself. It's just I really want to give myself a big enough kick up the rear to get to where I want to get.

Why aren't you important enough on your own? Why do you have to make your weight loss about anything but what your needs and desires are?

Anyone ever tried it - gone down the raising money for charity by doing a sponsored slim route?

Years ago a Jweish American Comedian -- who was know for his size -- decided to encourage himself to lose weight by putting a significant sum of money in a "trust" and if he did not lose the weight, he had agreed to lose, by a certain date the money was going to be donated to a neo-Nazi group or something like that. He wrote a book about it and called it The Blackmail Diet. He lost the weight and then gained it back. It did not work long-term.

We all need to find a way of not only losing the weight, but also how to make permanent changes in our relationship with food and exercise, so that we can maintain the losses.

Do you think it's a crazy idea? Ill-advised? Or does it have potential?

So, it might work for you -- but is it going to help you to affect long-term changes that help you maintain those losses? (I feel like I'm an advert here, but one of the things that Judith Beck discusses in her book is the need to reduce stress for successful weight loss.

IMHO -- Lily

MM

LOL, such good answers, MinnieMel.

I know. What was I thinking? And to be honest, I'm not sure I could face asking people for sponsorship anyway. It was just one of those 'good ideas for five minutes' moments, I think.

And yes, even as I was writing the first paragraph, I realised that what I'd written sounded as though I didn't believe I could ever get doing Cambridge right. Still wrote it though. :rolleyes:

Isn't the Beck book going to be full of stuff I've read before? How does it differ from the usual weightloss advice book?

Hi Lily,

A lot of it is familiar as other psychologists use CBT (Beck's father is supposedly the originator of CBT). She, herself, used CBT techniques to help herself lose weight and maintain her weight losses. She used it her practice for this and other things (originally is was used to treat depression).

For 6.99 pounds, if you get the book and work through it front to back doing all the steps, it will be a very good investment. I am sure it will help you.

I am doing more than a chapter a day, because I am already on a diet. It is designed to be used as you are preparing for a diet. But Beck addresses that, too.

IF a person goes along with the steps, process, things (even if they seem silly or uneccessary) that you are asked to do, I am certain that it will help almost anyone to "retrain their brain" so that they "think like a thin person" and make better choices naturally. Then, losing the weight and maintaining the losses become a part of who you are.

I, personally, think that using this book and joining the Beck thread on CD maintenance will be very helpful.

MM

Well - you'll be pleased to know my Beck book is on its way already then. :)

It should arrive on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

I know CBT works. I have a friend who wants to 'buy' me a session of cognitive hypnotherapy for my weight loss issues. Not sure if I want to try that or not, to be honest.

I'll start with a new book...

Thanks again, MinnieMel x

Back