Holiday Dread

JosieDelonge

Hiya,

A month today I'm off to France for 2 weeks but instead of ooking forward to it, I'm starting to dread it!

I did try to use it as my motivation to lose some weight but instead I get stressed and then eat junk and stress again.

I think I'm worried about putting on weight while away. I don't want to be strict on myself and 'diet' while away (I haven't been abroad for about 20 years!) but at the sae time, I worry about losing control and comng back with a massive gain which then stresses me out because it's so hard to lose!

Anyone else with holiday stress? Or ideas how to cope?

I do plan to pack my SW book, and I have fingers crossed it's salad weather the whole time! :)

The most important thing about going on your holiday is to try and relax and enjoy yourself.
Sounds like you are planning ahead, which is fantastic! Great idea to take your book with you.
Not been to France for years...are you self-catering? If you are, then the supermarkets have lots of lovely fruit and veg - far nicer than here, from what I remember!!
Avoid french bread and croissants and too much camembert :-D
By making good choices and enjoying fresh produce, you'll protect yourself.
Please try and enjoy yourself...I do understand the feeling though. xx

We are self catering, the inlaws have rented a holiday home so it's them, me, my husband and our toddler.

I know I need to find a balance, that if I eat a pain au chocolate for breakfast then I need to enjoy some tasty salads and lean cooked meats to avoid any massive gains.

I'm worried I'll go "sod it, I'm on holiday!" and eat what I want (or think I want). My inlaws won't help either, they'll just tell me I'm on holiday and to enjoy myself!

One good thing is that our holiday home has a pool so if I can get un-selfconscious enough to put on swimwear, I can have a go (not the best swimmer but need he practice!). Also if the weather is nice I do intend to walk a lot. Also the toddler (19 months) is a handful so he should keep me on my toes!

Fingers crossed eh?!

We are self catering, the inlaws have rented a holiday home so it's them, me, my husband and our toddler.

I know I need to find a balance, that if I eat a pain au chocolate for breakfast then I need to enjoy some tasty salads and lean cooked meats to avoid any massive gains.

I'm worried I'll go "sod it, I'm on holiday!" and eat what I want (or think I want). My inlaws won't help either, they'll just tell me I'm on holiday and to enjoy myself!

One good thing is that our holiday home has a pool so if I can get un-selfconscious enough to put on swimwear, I can have a go (not the best swimmer but need he practice!). Also if the weather is nice I do intend to walk a lot. Also the toddler (19 months) is a handful so he should keep me on my toes!

Fingers crossed eh?!

oohhh....that sound's completely wonderful and I feel very envious!!!
You'll be fine!! As you say, your going to strike a balance between having yummy stuff and having (yummy) SW friendly stuff. Coupled with the exercise = success!!!!

From the sounds of it, you have prepared yourself well mentally. Try and shrug off others opinions - you can enjoy yourself without eating tons of food!!

Enjoy and relax. xx

I understand where you are coming from this is one of the reasons I slowly gained weight, I'd put it on whilst on hols & then loose some or non of it:eek:

The first holiday I went on after starting SW I was of course apprehensive like you. We also went to France, I ate SW friendly foods, not always easy but I allowed myself wine in the evenings, I lost 1lb.

Don't stress too much about whether you gain weight or not, enjoy your holiday & just try & make SW friendly choices whilst there.

Block out MiL comments about 'enjoying yourself your on holiday'. What I do when offered something 'naughty' is say No Thank You, like I really mean it. It takes practice but after a while you will begin to believe it yourself when you say no to something you really do want:D

Don't forget to report back & let us know how you get on, we're here to support you whatever the outcome;)

Oh i'm off to France in 4 weeks too!

I have also been thinking alot about putting weight on while there - but figured that we're also self catering so I will be in control pretty much.

I am hoping like you for nice weather - so BBQ's & lots of nice lean meats - loads of salads etc.

I am going to pack my porridge oats to take with me, along with sweetner, some low syn snacks & salad dressings etc.

I think my downfall will be wine - but hay i'm on my holiday so like you, planning on loads of walking & swimming etc. We're actually on one of the key camp sites, so there will be loads of activities I can do with my children, hopefully, lol

Heh, I am going to Scotland for 5 days in August. The worlds greatest fry up capital. If I dont come back a stone heavier than when I set off I will be very very surprised. Hopefully lots of picnics and barbecues so I can stick with the salads and lean meat.

Here too, we are off to the south of France in August and i am dreading it, though the contingency plan is to shop at the local markets and buy lots of lovely local fruit and veggies cheaply. Think we have access to a BBQ too...
Tho if i fancy a croissant or pan au chocolat will.
We will be doing a fair bit of walking in the mornings and i will have my 2 1/2 yr old to keep me on my toes too....

Enjoy your hols....

Back