Extra Easy Holiday Hell

nixterjoe

:cry:Help !!! my hubby has booked a surprise cruise..... I am now really worried I am gonna put on everything I have lost so far... should I just go with the flow and deal with it when I get back or should I be good :confused:

You should make good choices otherwise you will come back feeling depressed!!

Make good choices but still use your syns and get in some body magic too. This is a life style change rather then a diet so use it as an opportunity to incorporate slimming world into your holiday, you might have a little gain when you come back but that's ok just get back on track again :)

:cry:Help !!! my hubby has booked a surprise cruise..... I am now really worried I am gonna put on everything I have lost so far... should I just go with the flow and deal with it when I get back or should I be good :confused:

Find out everything you can about what food will be available. There must be a website for the cruise line - does it publish menus? If you know what to expect, you can plan in advance.

I totally agree with chiefbridesmaid, that is brilliant, brilliant advice. If you're following SW the right way (I.e. Eating your favourite foods, wide variety, generous satisfying portions and using syns for treats) then you shouldn't feel deprived enough to use this holiday as an escape from your "diet". I'm currently on holiday in Jersey and it's been a real eye opener because I never thought SW would be so doable on holiday but it's been going great so far! Granted I get more HEs because I'm breastfeeding which helps but even if I didn't I could still follow the plan easily. So many times in the past I ate whatever I wanted on holiday and I remember always thinking to myself after overeating on the fattiest choices on the menu, oh I could have had the smoked salmon as a starter and the grilled meat and salad for mains! So really it wasn't so much a lack of healthy choices that derailed me, I just chose to ignore them.

Here's my advice

1. Pack a bunch of alpen lights or any low syn treat to snack on or have in your room after dinner. Passing on dessert will be so much easier when you know that you have something sweet waiting for you.

2. Fill up on free foods and leave your HEs to account for the oil in your meals. So if you usually have cereal for breakfast, have something like fruit, yogurt, eggs, beans etc instead.

3. Ask how things are made, order anything grilled, steamed or baked from menus. If it's a buffet choose whatever looks less oily, but don't worry too much because you have your saved HE for oil.

4. Eat well and be satisfied after each meal. Don't try to cut back! Load your plate with salads, I find that I enjoy fruit and veg more on holidays because they're so exotic and beautifully presented.

5. Enjoy all the other things your holiday has to offer. Go for long walks (around the decks? Lol) shop, enjoy your OH's company, have lots of holiday secks :D it's not ALL about food.

6. If you do want dessert or any treat, have it, eat it consciously and savour every mouthful.

SW is indeed a lifestyle change and you'll probably find it easy to follow regardless of changes in circumstances like holidays, parties, Christmas etc. and realise that there was nothing to worry about in the first place!

You can check my food diary for entries and pics of my munchings :D

I do find it amusing that a thread about a surprise holiday - and a cruise! - should be titled Holiday Hell. Not my idea of hell. ;)

Thanks for all the advice... I know its not really holiday hell, but i'm only just 5 weeks in to SW and done well so far (1 stone 4lbs) and don't want to blow it.. I will def.be tucking in to the healthy stuff and the odd bevvy xx

AnnaFaraday said:
Ooh lucky you! My favourite place! Where are you staying?

I hope you are having a lovely time. I will be there for two weeks in the autumn.

Its so beautiful here! We're staying at the longueville manor, really lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The others have given you some great advice. Before starting this diet I would always just give up on holiday and eat loads of rubbish then be mad at myself that I had put half a stone on!

I am still trying to get my head around how this is a lifetyle choice, not a diet. I also have a holiday planned in August which will hopefully be long enough to really focus on this new way of life for me and not gain much on holiday.

Who are you cruising with and on which ship??

I have done lots of cruises and if you want to stick to SW you will be able to easily.

There are ussually 24 hour buffet restaurants on board that always have great selections of fruits, salads etc etc to keep you full.

Also in the restaurants healthy options are nearly always available and they are used to dealing with fussy customers so they will be only too happy to tell you how something is made/cooked and make any alterations where necessary.

They are also very happy to adapt the menu to suit so if you want 2 starters and a desert etc just ask!

Some ships even have spa restaurants where everything is ultra healthy

Dont worry and enjoy it!!! prove to yourself that you can adapt this way of eating to suit you for the rest of your life!

I always aim for a STS whilst Im away on holiday so you get to have a holiday and dont spend weeks making up for it when you get back!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh I had someone recommend that to me last week!! They go every Christmas and love it!!!

I have never been to Jersey but think I should!!

I am going on p and o Ventura with freedom dining.... still got 4 weeks to go so still time to loose some more hahaha. !!

I am going on p and o Ventura with freedom dining.... still got 4 weeks to go so still time to loose some more hahaha. !!

Im sooooooo jealous!!! Ventura is my favourite ship!!!

You will love it and be just fine - lots of healthy choices, and lots of exercise walking around all the fab ports you are going to be visiting!!! and also opportunities to exercise onboard if you wish - a good opportunity to try something new!

I was on there last Sept and loved Ventura and P and O ( better for me than all the fancy American ships I had been on before!)

Just a word about the freedom dining - as they only use one small restaurant for this we found that we were waiting for 30-40 minutes for a table so the idea of dining at a time to suit us went out of the window as we were missing shows etc which we wanted to see because of this. We changed back to set dining times after 2 nights because of this.

They may have changed or improved this now but if you find its not suiting you either you can change at any time by speaking to the maitre d'. :flirt2:

One more word of warning about your cruise......they are seriously addictive!!!!!

I think I'm gonna love it already and I haven't even been yet .. it's my first and really pleased by the reviews of the ship just hoping the gym is not packed ... thanks for your replies I'm not gonna worry now

10 day Med cruise last yr I didn't deprive myself at all really and I STS (quite a surprise but just to let you know it isn't inevitable that you'll put on weight) I did a fair bit of walking (around the top deck - 4 laps was a mile) and ate LOTS of fresh fruit and salads...yummy! Probably more free food than I have ever done before because it was there, free, all prepared for me and yummy!
This yr I am on a cruise again and am planning to RUN laps this time / go to the gym (didn't set foot inside last year) and just generally enjoy the food on offer without making a pig of myself.
Yes, there's a lot of choice of foods on a cruise, which can be scary, but the choice can also be a really positive thing. ENJOY! (You're a lucky gal having a hubby who books cruises for you!)

Oh very classy!! We haven't been there, although we seem to have eaten everywhere else on the island! We stay at the Pontac House on the south coast - love it.

Say hello to Green Island for me - it's not far from where you are. Lovely little beach, clean white sand, convenient car park, loos, rocks to climb on at low tide, great restaurant (with dishy owner!) which also operates as a beach cafe during the day. Lots of visitors seem to miss it - but the locals all take their children there after school.

Oh I had someone recommend that to me last week!! They go every Christmas and love it!!!

I have never been to Jersey but think I should!!

You definitely should! It is a wonderful place with so much to see, fantastic food and lovely people. I have been going there with friends every autumn for six or seven years and we keep saying that maybe we have seen everything there is to see by now, but we haven't. And anyway, it is all worth seeing again!

(I think I might ask the local tourist office for commission!)

Oh very classy!! We haven't been there, although we seem to have eaten everywhere else on the island! We stay at the Pontac House on the south coast - love it.

Say hello to Green Island for me - it's not far from where you are. Lovely little beach, clean white sand, convenient car park, loos, rocks to climb on at low tide, great restaurant (with dishy owner!) which also operates as a beach cafe during the day. Lots of visitors seem to miss it - but the locals all take their children there after school.

Oooh thanks for that! I'll definitely check out green island! Anywhere else worth looking at? Thanks :D

My hubby and I have been lucky enough to have taken several cruise holidays. It's a great way to see lots of places and decide if you would like to spend more time somewhere or not!! On the first cruise I ate everything in sight. On port days we had breakfast, skipped lunch but were back on board for late afternoon tea (cake and sandwiches) and then late sitting dinner (5 courses). On sea days we managed to fit in lunch as well. When I got home I had put on approx 10 lbs in 14 days. After a week approx 5 lbs would be gone, possibly fluid retention, but the rest stayed. This was repeated with each cruise which is why I'm now following SW. We have booked a 24 night cruise for September but this time I will not be feeding my face all day. I will be making better choices from the buffet and just enjoying my dinner in the evening. I am not even going to afternoon tea as there isn't really a healthy option for that one. Just enjoy the cruise and don't feel you have to try everything on the menu and you'll be fine.

Oooh thanks for that! I'll definitely check out green island! Anywhere else worth looking at? Thanks :D

This is my favourite day out - you need a map for this, and be prepared for some narrow roads!

Drive up to Gorey, then take the road that goes up behind the Castle to St Catherines. (If you want to stop here, Castle Green behind the castle is a lovely open space with views to France - you have to park on the road, but there are usually spaces.) You can stop at Archirondel on the way - you have to turn off the main road - where there is a tower and a cafe and loos and a pretty little bay with rocks. Then go on to St Catherines (lovely coast road - B29) and stop at the car park there. Another cafe - really good, with a wonderfully eccentric owner, and a long bracing walk along the breakwater. If you look north from the breakwater you will see, just along the coast, a funny castellated building and another tower. To get to that, start driving back towards Gorey and look out for a sharp fork to the right signposted Rozel. Go up the hill, turn sharp right, then look for a sign to Fliquet. Go down the lane to the little car park and the beach - very rocky, lots of pretty stones to look at. Come back to the Rozel road (B91) and carry on to where it turns sharp left, but you carry straight on. The road wiggles right and then left and then there is a choice - one road goes to La Coupe point where there are fantastic views, the other goes (very steeply down!) to Saie (sometimes spelt Scez) slipway where you can park and look at the sea or walk down to the rocky beach. After that you can go back to the Rozel road and follow it down to Rozel harbour (parking is tricky) for the prettiest harbour on the island with the famous Hungry Man snackbar and fantastic views to France.

You can sometimes see red squirrels around Rozel.

You can't do all this by public transport if you don't have a car, but you can get to St Catherines by bus, and also to Rozel.

Another great place is on the far top left (northwest) point of the island at Grosnez Point. You can drive all the way there, and the views are fantastic on a clear day - you can see Guernsey and Herm and Sark.

Oh, now I want to be there NOW! Can't wait for my holiday! Have a lovely time.

This is my favourite day out - you need a map for this, and be prepared for some narrow roads!

Drive up to Gorey, then take the road that goes up behind the Castle to St Catherines. (If you want to stop here, Castle Green behind the castle is a lovely open space with views to France - you have to park on the road, but there are usually spaces.) You can stop at Archirondel on the way - you have to turn off the main road - where there is a tower and a cafe and loos and a pretty little bay with rocks. Then go on to St Catherines (lovely coast road - B29) and stop at the car park there. Another cafe - really good, with a wonderfully eccentric owner, and a long bracing walk along the breakwater. If you look north from the breakwater you will see, just along the coast, a funny castellated building and another tower. To get to that, start driving back towards Gorey and look out for a sharp fork to the right signposted Rozel. Go up the hill, turn sharp right, then look for a sign to Fliquet. Go down the lane to the little car park and the beach - very rocky, lots of pretty stones to look at. Come back to the Rozel road (B91) and carry on to where it turns sharp left, but you carry straight on. The road wiggles right and then left and then there is a choice - one road goes to La Coupe point where there are fantastic views, the other goes (very steeply down!) to Saie (sometimes spelt Scez) slipway where you can park and look at the sea or walk down to the rocky beach. After that you can go back to the Rozel road and follow it down to Rozel harbour (parking is tricky) for the prettiest harbour on the island with the famous Hungry Man snackbar and fantastic views to France.

You can sometimes see red squirrels around Rozel.

You can't do all this by public transport if you don't have a car, but you can get to St Catherines by bus, and also to Rozel.

Another great place is on the far top left (northwest) point of the island at Grosnez Point. You can drive all the way there, and the views are fantastic on a clear day - you can see Guernsey and Herm and Sark.

Oh, now I want to be there NOW! Can't wait for my holiday! Have a lovely time.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I'm going to have to copy and paste that to my husband, he's a map geek. We did bring the car on the ferry so we can do all that. Thanks so much! We're actually seriously thinking about moving here now lol!

So sorry to hijack this thread!:innocent0001:

Back