Homemade Yogurt

dukannotsofatty

Gold Member
I did it, I am really pleased with myself.

I followed the other thread and made some yogurt last night/today. The only thing I was disappointed with was that I thought the litre of milk would produce a litre of yogurt and by the time it had drained it was only half a litre, the cost of the milk was far more than a pot of yogurt. But...I have managed to get some cheaper at Aldi and I think it will let it drain for less time and that should yeild more of the product LOL.

I was then wondering what to do with the Whey that had drained, I didn't want to just chuck it down the drain and I found a site with lost of ideas....none really practical for me, however there is one that I can do and have put into motion LOL....its now got garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in it. Not sure how long to leave it, but the site says to use it to marinade meats and fishes.

This is the site

Ive got an electric yogurt maker from Argos, i make a pint of yogurt from a pint of milk there's hardly any whey, i just stir it in. The milk powder makes it lovely and thick.

By the way the yogurt maker is £12.50 from argos in the sale, it takes about 8 hours to cook! Cx

I got a slow cooker 1.5 litre from a local shop for a tenner, it cooks for 3 hours and then the rest of the time is cooling and fermenting LOL.

I think that I left it too long to drain, it was as thick as double cream (almost tasted like it) and got half a pint of whey out of it. Have added garlic and rosemary to that for marinades. this time i am only going to let it drain for hour and half, and hopefully it will yeild more. Managed to get cheaper milk from aldi so I know it will still work out price wise LOL.

Love the taste of it though, having last of last batch for my supper tonight.

Back