Honeymoon...Jamaica?

Sinead6uk

Bread is my enemy!
Hi everyone,

Totally overwhelmed with trying to decide where to go on honeymoon. Too many nice places to choose from! :)

I've gone from Mexico to cuba to Dom Rep to Hawaii and now I'm thinking Jamaica? Wish I could take a year off work and go to them all! :D

Has anyone been to Jamaica?

Thanks guys
Sinéad

I'm struggling too :(

Rather than frustrate ourselves we are asking for holiday vouchers as a wedding pressie, we are going to go in the week of the wedding and get a good last minute deal. Best star rating, nicest food, warmest location- won't matter where it is.

All of your choice sound lovely, I'm sure you won't regret it wherever you go. We looked at Cuba too- my cousin went last year and loved it x

kingleds said:
I got married there! I loved it personally - definitely a good honeymoon place x

Oooh lovely! I must admit with all the planning and 'numbers' stress I'm kinda wishing we're going abroad to do it! :D

Which part of Jamaica did you go to? I've seen a nice hotel in Lucea. X

Sinead6uk said:
Oooh lovely! I must admit with all the planning and 'numbers' stress I'm kinda wishing we're going abroad to do it! :D

Which part of Jamaica did you go to? I've seen a nice hotel in Lucea. X

If you're talking about the Grand Pallafium lady hamilton DO IT!!!! Have not been myself, but have friends who have, and am going to the same chain in mexico in december. I stayed at the Rui in Ocho Rios, which is lovely, but quite a bit more expensive, and not as much flexibility on the restaurants - but the wedding planner was amazing & they have mini bars with optics in your room :)

kingleds said:
If you're talking about the Grand Pallafium lady hamilton DO IT!!!! Have not been myself, but have friends who have, and am going to the same chain in mexico in december. I stayed at the Rui in Ocho Rios, which is lovely, but quite a bit more expensive, and not as much flexibility on the restaurants - but the wedding planner was amazing & they have mini bars with optics in your room :)

Yes that's the one! Not that it's cheap my any means but it's quite a bit cheaper than other Jamaica ones on the thomson website so I was a bit worried. Looks lovely from the photos though. Thanks :)

Sinead6uk said:
Yes that's the one! Not that it's cheap my any means but it's quite a bit cheaper than other Jamaica ones on the thomson website so I was a bit worried. Looks lovely from the photos though. Thanks :)

Its a relatively new hotel i think, and Lucea is a bit less developed as a resort (not a bad thing imo though) so they often have deals on it. Its about £1800 for 2 weeks usually, but u can often get a really good discount off that

As a general rule, i'd say a Rui, but not in Montego Bay as its right near the airport, the one you're looking at, or a sandals (but not Dunns River which is tiny) would be your best bet. There's also a grand bahia principle which looks amazing but it is enourmous as well, and expensive.

Avoid the Sunset Jamaica grande at all cost! Aside from anything else it is a hideous looking building & reminds me of some of the hotels you see in Benidorm, plus its right in the middle of Ocho Rios town, so not exaclty a honeymoon spot!

You will have an amazing time! x

Its a relatively new hotel i think, and Lucea is a bit less developed as a resort (not a bad thing imo though) so they often have deals on it. Its about £1800 for 2 weeks usually, but u can often get a really good discount off that

As a general rule, i'd say a Rui, but not in Montego Bay as its right near the airport, the one you're looking at, or a sandals (but not Dunns River which is tiny) would be your best bet. There's also a grand bahia principle which looks amazing but it is enourmous as well, and expensive.

Avoid the Sunset Jamaica grande at all cost! Aside from anything else it is a hideous looking building & reminds me of some of the hotels you see in Benidorm, plus its right in the middle of Ocho Rios town, so not exaclty a honeymoon spot!

You will have an amazing time! x

ahhh thanks Kingleds! I have seen some AMAZING Sandals ones but ouch! they are soooo expensive. Looking to spend as near to 3k as we can but can go up to 3500 for the right one. A lot of them are way over 4k! crazy money! its so hard to pick the right place as we wont be able to afford to go long haul again for a longgggggg time so gotta make the most of it! :D x

Sinead6uk said:
ahhh thanks Kingleds! I have seen some AMAZING Sandals ones but ouch! they are soooo expensive. Looking to spend as near to 3k as we can but can go up to 3500 for the right one. A lot of them are way over 4k! crazy money! its so hard to pick the right place as we wont be able to afford to go long haul again for a longgggggg time so gotta make the most of it! :D x

Trust me - you will have a good time in Jamaica where ever you stay as long as you go with the flow! It's a beautiful island, and the people are friendly as long as you smile (not that hard when on your honeymoon I hope!), the food is generally good (make sure you at least try some local food as well as its the best) and don't forget the rum!

I got married in Jamaica too, although we had our honeymoon a few months later in Tobago :confused:

I've been all over Jamaica many times before and after the wedding though as we used to have a house there. I love it but not keen on Montego Bay. As kingleds said the people are very friendly and the local food is great. :drool:

Breezes resorts are really nice and reasonably priced. The one in Trelawny do lots of weddings on their own bit of beach but there's not much else around there and you'd need a car to get about. Last year we spent 2 weeks there as we decided to do the tourist thing and go AI. It cost us around £1300 each which I didn't think was bad at all. As it's owned by Jamaicans the food was fabulous and authentic...my husband thought it was brill! :candledinner:

On the flip side - I didn't like our visit to Ochios Rios at all. I really didn't feel safe.
It was a day stop on one of our cruises and after a fab trip to Dunns River Falls we decided to walk into town. There were so many locals (mostly men) sitting all along the roads and as much as I would have thought they'd be used to visitors, they wouldn't stop staring and we felt so vulnerable.

Loved all the other Caribbean stops - especially Trinidad, Tobago & St Lucia. We really loved Hawaii too but you just have to remember that it's basically good old US of A.

We cruised from Florida we went to Mexico and Jamaica it was wonderful to see both places in the one trip. We went to Hatti and the Caymen Islands to they were beautiful to. Whichever one u choose u will have such a wonderful time.

It's a hard one to decide!

I've been to Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Mexico and they were all fab, if I had to choose one I'd say Mexico but they are all lovely places, you won't make a wrong decision whichever you choose!

Do you know which travel companies fly to this resort? I cant seem to find it on thomas cook or thomson?

many thanks :)

I’m not sure which holiday companies go to this resort. You could do the package yourselves. List of airlines that fly there;

British Airways (they stop flying to Montego Bay in March)! You can still fly to Kingston, Jamaica and arrange with the hotel for transfers.

Virgin Atlantic
Thomas Cook
Thompson Fly.

Information taken from Montego Bay Jamaica - Sangster International Airport (MBJ)

It really is worth doing as it is gorgeous! :D

Virgin holidays do packages to Rose Hall Resort but it's very expensive. For 2 weeks mid June it's over £2k each!!! :argh:

Back