Hospital. Teenage obesity...On Now Channel 4 (Tuesday 21st)

KD

Gone fishing
Just a quick reminder

Thanks KD - just watched it on C4+1 xxx

I watched it this morning. I also watched (on catch up) Georgia: 33 stone at 15 years old. Brilliant

If it was that programme about the obese teens wanting weightloss surgery, it just made me really frustrated:(. Aaarrgghh!

AJ

Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix, it carries health risks, and should not be considered unless as a last resort.

The attitude of some of the teens was that regardless of the risks, they wanted the surgery (like they imagined it would cure them).

It was frustrating that the emotional reasons for their overeating/obesity were not fully explored, and that they did not seem to understand the difficulties that would follow surgery i.e. it's not a quick fix at all.

There was one teen who had counselling and did lose weight without surgery. I was so pleased for her, at the end of the programme she stated that she would not consider surgery now. That was a good result as far as I was concerned. I hope she continues to get support and counselling and goes from strength to strength.

AJ

I agree AJ :sigh:

That girl...was it Holly? The one that made it without WLS. Thought she was fab. Regardless of how she lost the weight, she was such a lovely girl and really willing to take responsibility for herself.

Not saying WLS don't at all...but some of the teens shown on the programme really could have done with a major attitude transplant whilst under anaesthetic.

Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix, it carries health risks, and should not be considered unless as a last resort.

The attitude of some of the teens was that regardless of the risks, they wanted the surgery (like they imagined it would cure them).

It was frustrating that the emotional reasons for their overeating/obesity were not fully explored, and that they did not seem to understand the difficulties that would follow surgery i.e. it's not a quick fix at all.

There was one teen who had counselling and did lose weight without surgery. I was so pleased for her, at the end of the programme she stated that she would not consider surgery now. That was a good result as far as I was concerned. I hope she continues to get support and counselling and goes from strength to strength.

AJ
Yes I totally agree. I think there should be an age limit for the surgery and all other possible avenues explored first

I agree AJ :sigh:

That girl...was it Holly? The one that made it without WLS. Thought she was fab. Regardless of how she lost the weight, she was such a lovely girl and really willing to take responsibility for herself.

Not saying WLS don't at all...but some of the teens shown on the programme really could have done with a major attitude transplant whilst under anaesthetic.

The arrogance of youth, eh?:confused:

Re: your comments on people taking responsibility, KD, it seems from watching a couple of these programmes (did you see the one about teen pregnancies last week), that these youngsters are pandered too, and their irresponsible behaviours are condoned and accepted.

There was a wonderful teen birthing centre featured in the programme last week. Boy, I would have loved to have all that care and attention when I popped my sprogs, but no, I wasn't a 'high risk' pregnancy:confused:. I made the mistake of not smoking or drinking, ate well, etc., and made sure the baby's health came first. These girls seemed to be rewarded for being selfish and ignorant. Something wrong here:(, the system sucks.

AJ

Yes I totally agree. I think there should be an age limit for the surgery and all other possible avenues explored first

There is no doubt that emotional reasons for eating i.e. counselling and support, should be put in place. If nothing else, it will help these girls think about why they have developed their obesity problem in the first place, and they can start to develop strategies to help themselves take responsibility for their eating behaviours.

Weight loss surgery definitely has a role to play for some people, but there has to be a level of maturity achieved in order to go through this difficult process. These teens just don't have it yet.

AJ

There is no doubt that emotional reasons for eating i.e. counselling and support, should be put in place. If nothing else, it will help these girls think about why they have developed their obesity problem in the first place, and they can start to develop strategies to help themselves take responsibility for their eating behaviours.

Weight loss surgery definitely has a role to play for some people, but there has to be a level of maturity achieved in order to go through this difficult process. These teens just don't have it yet.

AJ
Absolutely, they are only thinking about the short term and WLS is a life long commitment

Back