How bad is alcohol

sophie2324

i have a couple of events coming up two in particular where i will be drinking. I know that spirits are the best type of alcohol to drink. How badly will alcohol affect SS and also does alcohol take you out of ketosis? Thanks

ooh i was wondering this as its my birthday next weekend.

Is vodka and slimline the best to drink?

i know that spirits such as vodka and i guess diet drinks would be best. I will definately be drinking vodka when i go out. It will be interesting to see what other people think :D

Ooo its almost your birthday - have a good one if i dont manage to post on here or remember closer to your birthday :D

Thanks! I just hope it doesn't affect the diet too much!

I'm not a CDC and I hope one comes along in a little while ... but as far as I know, alcohol is a big no-no on a VLCD and is likely to knock you out of ketosis. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along in a mo to advise you better.

You CANNOT drink alcohol on SS, you will most likely make yourself very poorly.

It's an absolute no no on SS I'm afraid.

I cannot say that strongly enough!

Pants though isn't it :( Some nights I'd kill for a glass of red wine - although I'm more desperate to be at goal weight :D

You CANNOT drink alcohol on SS, you will most likely make yourself very poorly.

It's an absolute no no on SS I'm afraid.

I cannot say that strongly enough!

Pants though isn't it :( Some nights I'd kill for a glass of red wine - although I'm more desperate to be at goal weight :D
Kath is absolutley right.

I'm not as up on the biochemistry as I should be.Thew man who is is Icemoose.(although as I do more reading for my CDC assignments thruogh the summer I slall be)

Any way it's all due to you having a v low carb intake & consequently only enough blood glucose for immediate needs. Alcohol tends to lower blood sugar & you can become unwell quite quickly.

ps I tried a small glass of wine after SSing for a number of weeks, & it really was a small glass, more like a sherry measure & I had an unpleasant head the next morning, & I am or was a good wine drinker!

pps. If you decide you absolutley can't avoid alcohol totally eg a sip of shampers for a weddingtoast then please make sure you have had some real foodfirst.

I'm sorry I can't remember the thread where icemoose described why alc & SS don't go, but it was in the last wek or so.

Hi Guys,

I have rooted around some of the historic threads and found some info from othe posts surrounded the "why" you should abstain from alcohol when on a VLCD like CD.

"The brain and nervous tissue require sugar as a fuel to function. Indivduals following a VLCD like CD are are more-or-less 100% reliant on ketones produced by ketosis as our source of energy with our bodies converting ketones into sugar using a process referred to a gluconeogenesis.
Alcohol inhibits ketosis and, thereby, gluconeogenesis. This means that on a vlcd where you sole source of energy is from ketones your brain and nerves can be depleted of the fuel they need to function. The effects of fuel depletion can include disorientation, semi-consciousness, coma due to low blood sugar. Needless to say this could be very dangerous and potentially even fatal. For thoses not in a ketotic state blood sugar level would be maintained by the breakdown of glycogen stores in the liver."

I hope this helps.

you can actually put yourself in a coma, therefore if you really have to drink then you must work your way up the steps to 1000 kcals at least before drinking
never drink on ss alone you can do yourself alot of damage
at the end of the day you need to think about your health:)
good luck
nat x

OMG this all sounds really bad. Had no idea. How can I not drink though on my 26th b'day and a night out on th tiles (which has been organised for ages).

Will be much cheaper I suppose!

You can drink coke zero and fizzy water, I have a hen night coming up and it's a meal and drinks. But, it is very important for me to be a part of it, eating & drinking.

You don't need alcohol to have a good night out and in fact you will laugh at how funny all your friends are when they are drunk and you aren't.

You can always drink fizzy water and the empowerment feeling the next day when you managed to go without booze is a great feeling and better than any bacardi breezer.

Hi Sophie,

I'd like to give you some advise from my experience. I had 1 glass of wine whilst on SS. I was extremely ill for 4 days thereafter. I was vomitting, headaches and the shakes. When i saw my counsellor and told her what had happened she explained that because CD is a starvation diet, your body cannot consume alcohol. If you eat normally, the food will absorb the alcohol to some extent. Obviously not on SS.
So many people always say on hangovers "i'll never drink again" in my case, i never will drink again on the SS.
Please take my advice, DON'T drink, you really will be unwell.
When i go out i have sparkling water with a spoon of the flavoured powders. What icemoose said about not needing to have a drink to have a good time is very true! I have not had alcohol for a while now and been out on night out with friends and family. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, if not more than i would have if drinking. The main advantages being:

- I remember the night before
- No making a prat of myself
- Laughing at others making prats of themselves
- LOOSING WEIGHT AND BEING HEALTHY!

whoops, last week i went out with one of my friends and she was buying the drinks as she was drinking and i was only on coke it wasnt until later on in the nite that i has realised that i had in fact een drinking vodka all night. Im so use to the stuff that i just dont taste it. I managed the night fine - i didnt drink anywhere near the normal amount of alcohol i would have done. Im now very worried about the next three events i have coming up.

I cant go out and not drink alcohol i need it to allow me to be out. Especially the places where you can go out here its full of skinny people and everyone loves there selfs.

I may just have some chicken before i go out as that can soak up the initial alcohol that i would have. Would that work?

i agree its probably best not to drink on ss but i was in the same situation as you last week. I went to a beer festival and decided i would drink but not my usual amount. I ate a piece of chicken before i went out and also half a bar. I had 2 pints of lager, one bottle of budweiser and one wine. I ate the rest of the bar when i got home!

I must admit that i was definitely more drunk than usual after such a small amount of alcohol but i wasnt falling over and i felt absolutely fine the next day (no hangover)

do what you think but if you do drink then definitely eat something beforehand and limit yourself to just a few drinks (you wont need more than that anyway!)

Eat...then drink...then get right back onto SS until I'm away or my birthday lol x

Thanks JodieJoJo - i think i will do that. Just have a little bit of food chicken only and then have the alcohol. I too didnt have a hangover the other week however i hadnt eaten anything other the 3 tetras that day....

Cheers for the advise -nice to see someone else in the same boat :D

Eat...then drink...then get right back onto SS until I'm away or my birthday lol x

Hmmm let me get this right i need to eat and drink until you get back and then start ss... ok mate :)

no problem sophie - at least it'll be a cheap night for you too! lol

The only thing i would add is that i found my motivation a little low for the next 2 days following my night out. The alcohol made me abit hungrier and i really wanted to eat on the morning after.

I'm now on my 3rd day since going out and i feel right back on track so it didnt take long and my night out was definitely worth it! :)

The chicken won't help as it is protein and has nothing to do with soaking up the alcohol. You will still be in ketosis and therefore reliant on the ketones which will then be inhibited, if you want to drink then you should up onto at least Cambridge 1200 for a period before going out.

"The brain and nervous tissue require sugar as a fuel to function. Indivduals following a VLCD like CD are are more-or-less 100% reliant on ketones produced by ketosis as our source of energy with our bodies converting ketones into sugar using a process referred to a gluconeogenesis.
Alcohol inhibits ketosis and, thereby, gluconeogenesis. This means that on a vlcd where you sole source of energy is from ketones your brain and nerves can be depleted of the fuel they need to function. The effects of fuel depletion can include disorientation, semi-consciousness, coma due to low blood sugar. Needless to say this could be very dangerous and potentially even fatal. For thoses not in a ketotic state blood sugar level would be maintained by the breakdown of glycogen stores in the liver."

Back