How can I help?

bexnkev

Silver Member
One of the girls from my group has just contacted me to say she's messed up today.. she knows she's got to get back on, she knows she's comfort eating! She wondered if I had any ideas how she can stop it happening in the first place. I've given a couple of ideas but anyone got any pearls of wisdom I can share with her?

what i try to do is take a few minutes to stop and think about why i want to eat and what will eating this burger (for example) will achieve. if i really think that eating the burger is going to make me geel better and in some way positively change my life, then ill eat the burger! (obviously the burger isnt going to change my life, so i dont eat it!)

I had the same thing today, someone told me they put on 4lbs in a week!!!... the best thing is not to feed it (so to speak) I know it sounds harsh but don't give her loads of attention because maybe that is what she is craving and will just go and do it again next time she wants to talk. Ask her to think to herself about how it made her feel and if she can work out what triggered it and she will understand it a bit more.

We done "games" in our session last week (week 10) and discovered that the majority of people tell others they have binged/eaten so that they get some kind of "its ok" from their peers... it doesnt help... be cruel to be kind. tell her shes not helping herself... *cringe* i must sound so bad!

not at all Claire, we did games last week as well, it's her first blip and she is riddled with guilt! I've told her that perhaps she should call someone before she eats to talk about it next time. This way, maybe she'll work out what the real problem is :)

Bex all I can say is distraction is the name of the game when she's in the 'moment' - she needs to go do something different, whatever it is that she finds stops her eating - exercise, go out, read, bath, phone a friend ... anything.

In the longer term she needs to look at what she's 'comfort' eating from - is there a pattern to it, certain times of the day, certain events, etc and then analyse what's sending her down that road and how she can stop it.

Ohh! Games was my favourite week! Made me realise that I was a games queen. I'm doing my best to stop with the victim role! Good advice girls! Also as hard as it may be, I think she should have a chat with your LLC.
Linze

Ohh! Games was my favourite week! Made me realise that I was a games queen. I'm doing my best to stop with the victim role! Good advice girls! Also as hard as it may be, I think she should have a chat with your LLC.
Linze

We have not done games yet, but sounds interesting. I *know* I need to stop playing the victim role too!!! Without a doubt! :eek::rolleyes:

Back