How can I keep on track on a city break?

kc.

I am a complete newbie on the SW scene (after hearing much good things and progress from other people).. I'm on day 2 and aleady feeling really good and in control about how to make sure I can succeed at this..

One thing that does concern me is that I have a 3 night city break in Newcastle coming up in 3 weeks time, and I'm not sure how I'll manage with it, not being able to prepare my own food. I'll be staying in a hotel so all the food I eat over those 3 days will either be pre-made supermarket food or pre-made at a restaurant of some sort. I don't want to be that super fussy person sat there deliberating through the aisles or menu about what is best for me to eat. I think on 1 of the nights I will be going to a fairly fancy restaurant too so, that's going to be tricky to figure out what to have!

I will most likely try and save up my syns from that week to make up for anything I do have during the 3 days...But does anyone have any suggestions about easy things to pick up on the go or things I can feel more at ease about ordering on a menu?

I would suggest first of all maybe being a bit careful with the syns before (as you suggested) but also after the city break.
I had a busy social week last week and ate lots of things I shouldn't have, but on other meals was extra well behaved and I maintained. Okay, it wasn't a loss, but to be honest I was not expecting one. So for example i had a burger and some chips for lunch, a big syn meal, but I had fruit for breakfast and soup for dinner. Another thing I did was when I did have something "syn" like, I just made such I didn't over eat on it. So for example when I had chips I didn't eat all of them, just ate the main dish and a few chips and really thought about when I was full- cutting down on these things always has to help. In the past I could have just eaten them all because they were there.

I would suggest trying to eat healthily for breakfast and lunch and maybe having syns for just 1 of the meals. Also remember things like meat without fat is syn free, always an option at lots of restaurants and remember to try and keep up with the 1/3 superfree where possible.

Also try and go for more tomato based sauces for things like pasta instead of cream ones. The whole point in slimming world is that you can still enjoy yourself for occasions like this, so don't make everything too restricted. Above everything else keep an element of control but enjoy yourself! You don't want to feel like you can't have anything or you will probably end up going the other way. I know I would!

have a great time away.

The trick is to plan ahead and get as much information as you can in advance. What hotel are you staying at? Does it have a website where you can find out what they serve for breakfast? Most hotels will do a lighter choice - at a hotel I stayed at recently I could have had a huge (gosh, and I do mean huge!) fry-up every day if I had wanted to, but they also did a lovely fruit salad plate, so I had that instead.

And do you know what restaurant you will be going to? Try to find out, then you can check out their menu on their website and get an idea of what you would like to have. Always ask for what you want at a restaurant - they are there to serve you! Smile sweetly at the waiter/waitress and ask for salads without dressings, vegetables without butter, meat without sauces. They will be quite used to this and won't mind at all. Loads of people do this, and as long as you are polite and friendly, there won't be a problem. And as Luna says, remember that you don't have to eat everything on your plate. I know we are all conditioned to clean our plates because our mummies told us to, but we are grownups now and don't have to do what we are told!!

Thanks for your replies guys, all very helpful and will try and use a mixture of planning ahead, making wise choices and using flexi syns (being as good as I can before and after the trip) :)

Back