1. Dismiss Notice
  2. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

How cheap can you get?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by justjudith, 20 July 2014 Social URL.

1. justjudith

justjudith *waves hello*

I am on the cusp of deciding whether to come back to Slimming World or staying with calorie counting.

I am an online member

what I was wondering was how cheap you can go on your weekly shopping bill.

I have a freezer but live on my own. Microwave is me best friend at the moment. I'm mainly vegetarian. I don't have a car but do have access to Aldi.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. RebekahR

RebekahR Well-Known Member

On your on with aldi I would say 20 quud is doable per week

Fruit
    Vegetables
    Potatoes

Tinned sweetcorn
    Tinned tomatoes
    Pasta/ rice

Quorn mince
    Eggs

Treats - choc/crisp/popcorn

Keep it simple!

Speed soup, quiche, chilli, bolognese , lots of fresh super 6 fruit! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

4. Elvisfan4life

Elvisfan4life Well-Known Member

Add aldi baked beans and mushy peas to that list

5. Willbeslimjen

Willbeslimjen Well-Known Member

Cous cous
    Use aldi super six to plan your meals
    Cook in bulk and freeze it makes it cheaper

6. Jaffa Cake

Jaffa Cake Well-Known Member

Cheap nutritious and speed food are dried beans various varieties and lentils. Perfect on green days.

7. nicolajr1986

nicolajr1986 Well-Known Member

I think its meat that makes slimming world pricey so if your veggie its probably ideal :)

8. justjudith

justjudith *waves hello*

Thank you for all your suggestions

I should have said I don't enjoy cooking.....

I will give SW another whirl I think - as I have a load of SW friendly foods in my cupboard.

Now to plan a shop to Aldi and an on-line shop at Asda....... got to get my dog food :)

9. janetelizabeth

janetelizabeth Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly a vegetarian, don't eat any meat but do have eggs, and some fish.
    Aldi cans of tuna....74p are a good buy and versatile, if you eat tuna.

Glad you're carrying on with SW...I don't have many £££ to spend on food either.

Last edited: 21 July 2014
  10. Elvisfan4life

Elvisfan4life Well-Known Member

Since shopping at aldi rather than tescos i save £35 to £40 a week and big a lot more...aldi meat is brilliant no waste and i can get 2 or 3 meals for 2 people pit of each joint...we have lamb and beef week about and always a large chicken which is fab value cant rate it highly enough

11. sarahmun

sarahmun Well-Known Member

We have very little money as a family of 4 and sometimes do.a shop on £40 a week so its definately dooable. On the weeks i cant afford much i tend it stick to routine of savoury rices and quiche for lunch and pastas and rice dishes for tea as my kids eat seperatly as they are fussy lol. This shop includes sweets, dog food and other treats for kids. Aldi is my best friend lol.
    Sarah x

12. justjudith

justjudith *waves hello*

Thank you all for your suggestions....

Aldi here I come tomorrow :)

13. NewMe14

NewMe14 Well-Known Member

If you make something with say mince bulk it out with your Superfree vegetables. I can get 2/3 meals from it that way just label and freeze :)

14. janetelizabeth

One thing I don't like about Aldi & Lidl....is they don't accept credit cards. I use mine to help me spread the cost, I do repay the whole amount so never pay any interest but...don't always have cash in my current a/c.

15. NewMe14

I'm in Ireland and the aldi's here started accepting credit cards about a month two months ago. I'd check again I'd say your aldi is the same

16. janetelizabeth

Oh thanks Newme!!! I want to LIKE you several times!! lol
    I just did a search and YES they are....Thanks you so much for that valuable info! :clap:

17. NewMe14

You are very welcome. All here to help each other xx

18. janetelizabeth

19. Gwella

Gwella Well-Known Member

I'm semi-veggie (eat fish) and find that fish and fruit are my biggest costs. That's partly because I'm picky about fruit and like the exotic ones.
    I think if you can identify the cheapest fruits and veg it helps a lot - frozen broccoli, frozen sprouts, carrots, things that are in season.