how did you choose your goal weight?

NikkiH

Likes to eat
Im just wondering as this is something I've been having trouble with...

How did you pick THAT particular weight/number?

What factors made you decide?

Are you going by the BMI index?

Or a weight you were before and were happy at?

Or a number that "sounds" good?

Or do you just plan on stopping when you are happy with your weight?

Thanks guys xx

I'm going by my BMI. I'd like to be in the healthy range. But if I think I look good enough before I get there then I'll settle for just being 'overweight' lol. BMI has been critisized for being slightly inaccurate. Those with a large muscle mass show a high BMI but they are still healthy. So I'm also going to go with my waist measurement. As long as it's within the guidelines set out by the British Heart Foundation then that'll do for me! My main reason for losing weight is for my health, so that's how I'm choosing my goal.

Im going be the weight i was before well going half a stone lighter this time... Feels like im never gonna get there, oh but i will eventually ;)

Hi

I am going by a weight that I was once before and was very happy at, but there is defineatly the chance that I will stop before then if I am happy with myself at a bit more :)

x

I chose 9 stone as a starting goal weight as i was 8 stone before having the kids but i know getting back to that weight is unrealistic...

Thanks Girls,

Its a great help to see where everyone else is coming from..

I initially was going for 11 stone... its at the very end of "healthy" of the BMI index, if I was 11.1 Id be back to "overweight"

I think I choose that cos at the time I was 18stone :eek: and 11 stone seemed No.1 TINY to me back then and NO.2 soooooooo far away..

having an 11 stone target meant I had to loose 97 pounds from where I started.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to change my goal to 100lbs off as it was only 3 pounds in the difference and thought I might as well go the full haul, 10stone 10 does sound "better"

Now Im thinking that maybe I should go for the 9's i.e. even 9.13 - why not? - but Im completely torn to be honest, I think you have to be very careful it doesnt become an obsession. That every few weeks I make goal further away..

I love your suggestion regarding the inches, Bexie - that might be the perfect solution for me, so thanks for that pet x ;)

I too agree that the BMI has got to be scruitinised further - as one weight couldnt possibley suit everyones build (regardless of height) yet, I continue to find myself an follower of it!!..

Im another one that has went by my BMI.

Im not in the least interested in my BMI, I dont see how it can be an effective way of working things, its too rigid in its calculations. My doctor feels that if I went for the mid point of my alleged BMI that Id have gone too far.

Besides Im not going to be dictated to by some unknown, faceless organisation who state what THEY think my BMI should be.

Im going to wait until I get to a weight Im happy with, feel good and and feel I can maintain, then Ill stop. Im also not going to be influenced by the charts that state whether youre 'normal' (what IS normal anyway) 'overweight' etc.

Im doing this for me, and Ill be the one who decides my stop point :)

Starlight,
What a fabulous outlook you have on this - that is exactly how I would like to feel about the whole thing - it is definately the most healthy attitude anyone could possibley have in regard to weight loss.

I also agree with what you say about the BMI... and all of the above yet why am I letting it all rule me?

I know it probably sounds so ridiculous but you wouldnt believe how much what my goal weight should is bothering me, particulary today.

Is it because, although I know the BMI is rubbish, I have been overweight and obese for so,so long that Im subconsciously craving to be finally considered "normal". Thats probably one of the horrible things about that whole chart - as you said what is normal anyway? but yet, some do crave it...

Im also worrying that Im getting too obsessive about the whole thing. I think I have an obsessive personality in general. Its not even that important - one could say keep going til you feel happy but with the "deadline" that is approaching, I feel like I need to have a target clear and in sight..

Im probably not making ANY sense!!. Sorry about this!xxxx

Youre totally making sense Nikki. I do think theres a real danger though we can become obsessive. Ive seen people on MM before whove lost huge amounts of weight and were delighted to be in the (for example) 11's. Then they decided actually being 10 something would be better, get to that then decide actually 10.7 would be their perfect weight, they achieve that then decide to go for 10.3 so they have some flexibility to remain at their 'perfect' 10.7. SO they get to 10.3 and decide, wow, 4 more pounds and Id be in the 9's.

Where do you stop??? I saw someone do this recently and was getting really concerned about them, but thankfully theyve settled on a weight theyre happy with now, but I think there is a real danger some people can become dangerously obsessive about the figures on the scales

oh thanks Starlight, so glad you understand - that is EXACTLY what I mean and would have a fear of.

Not that I have anything to worry about at the minute, Im still overweight - but closer to the time, Im thinking - Im a stone and a half away from being 10stone 10lbs, a good bit - yet Im already thinking, "God, if I just went another 11lbs after that, I could be in the 9's".

As you put perfectly - where is the line? Its a tough one to call.

I just want a clear goal. Would love to look into the future and see what suits me... (thats not gonna happen though, is it??:D)

I agree with the bmi thing.... my top end is 9 11 and really that is to big for me.
When i was 20 i was actually at the bottom end of my bmi,7 11... but if i was lighter i defo wouldnt have looked skinny.But thats me going the other way... i should be saying i should have weighed more to look better haha

Nicole x

i know in the past , along time ago, pre children i was 10 1/2 stone & in a size 12 & looked good, but it was so hard to maintain.
Obviously having the kids i'm never going to have that figure again & also why should i go from being unhappy cos i'm fat to unhappy cos i constantly have to watch what i eat & deny myself stuff to stay at that weight. With this in mind i'm aiming for somewhere between 11st & 11 1/2st which would be still overweight but easier to maintain, i'd be happy wearing a size 14. I'm 40 fgs, so i'm not out ther to impress anyone !
xx

Well, since I'm spending the £5.50 per week on WW classes, I really want to get my gold card and never have to pay to rejoin again (or class fees), So I'm going to go with 5lbs under a BMI of 25.... a round 10 stone 5. Cos apparently your goal weight now is calculated on the bmi do dah.....(tired and can't remember the words)..... if you stop when your bmi is 25 you don't have that 5lb leeway and you have to stay at that weight whereas if you're under 25 bmi you get a 5lb leeway either side.

Does that make sense?

I must have heavy inside or something, as ppl never think i'm as heavy as i am they usually put me at about 2st less, so for me to get well into the healthy BMI i would look ill

I was 9 stone 7 before kids (10 years ago!!!!) I want to aim for 10 stone as I know I am not gonna have anywhere near the figure I used to have!

I don't want to be stick thin I just want to feel comfortable within myself and not feel so self conscious! Now if I can ever achieve that I don't know as I remember feeling self conscious back then even at a weight of 9 stone 7.

Ive also got a mega baby pouch as Ive carried a large daughter and then twins! Im hoping it will shrink a tiny bit as I start to lose weight!! LOL!!

xx

Jools - I was overweight carrying DS (now 2) and had a c-section. I have a horrible flap and I haven't lost that much weight, can't imagine what it's going to look like when I finally do get to my goal weight. I'm planning for a tummy tuck and reading icemoose's thread on it hasn't put me off!

Back