How did your family react to the new you?

HappyBunny

I have only just started lost 7lbs at last weigh in all my face by the looks of it lol so everyone has noticed. I was speaking with my cousin (lost 5 stone) she said "enjoy it while it lasts soon they will be telling you not to lose anymore even if you still have a high bmi"

It's like my family didnt want to let go of the old her almost? Anyone else had this?

I haven't had it but sometimes I do think that, and i don't want to sound mean, that it is jealousy. My bf's mum lost a lot of weight on sw and did get very slim, not unhealthily so but still very slim. Her mum, dad, sister etc were not happy for her, told her not to lose anymore, that she was too thin etc... They are all overweight themselves, have tried all the diets going for years etc but haven't succeeded and I feel that they are jealous of her - she has done something that they haven't been able to, and has kept it off because she has the motivation. I'm not saying that that's the case in your family at all but just an idea.

Also I think that when people lose a lot if weight, you really can see it in their face. And if your used to seeing so seeing someone with a bigger face it can be hard to get used to and they may look a bit gaunt for a while. It can take some adjusting to and others may worry that they have gone too far , are ill etc as a result.

I previously lost 9 stone 8 on Cambridge but have gained every pound and more bk but when I did that I got it all the time! It's lovely to hear people say u look great etc and to stop but motivationally it's awful cos depending on mindset u waver thinking maybe if I don't lose much wont matter so ill eat this etc! I however was on a journey and not ready to stop so told them I would stop when I reached my own target that was healthy and not unrealistic lol! Just wish I had stayed at that target and not gained it bk lol x

I have had a mixed reaction. My daughter is doing slimming world with me and tells me that I look great and that I am her inspiration, which is very sweet but I also really, really want to help her lose the weight she wants and help her to feel good about herself.

My husband is very anti-diets. He has always maintained you should carry on eating what you want but exercise more. Well, his family are all slim and have a fast metabolism so it's quite easy to have this attitude (he doesn't even exercise and is always eating). He says I look great no matter what I weigh, which I know is lovely, but my health was actually beginning to suffer. I did mention once that I would like to be 9 stone (what I used to weigh) and he scoffed at that and said I would look ill.

People at work are also making comments that I am losing weight, which so far have been positive, but no doubt the knives will be out before long :mad:

Therefore, I try to avoid discussing my weight to prevent comments. If anyone asks, I just say I'm taking it half a stone at a time, this usually keeps them quiet.

I soooo can empathise with where you are coming from!
I am now starting to get comments from people (some from my class!!) Don't you think you should stop now / put a stop to this dieting lark ... you are going to get too thin! .... oh you been losing weight.. you looked ok as you was.
I am still not near my target weight .. which was set between my Nurse Practioner and I after a long discussion over my mdeical problems and at the time my obese weight.
My mother 's comments... mmm.. "you will soon put it back on again so why are you bothering!"
My Partner... been encouraging so far.. though recent week comment " god nowt left to hug. You got no arse now!...don't go taking it too far"
But MIL to be has been up for a few days and i hadn't seen her since before i started losing weight.... had "good" comments from her and asked me to please try to encourage my other half to follow in my footsteps as she reckons they have not got the will power i seem to have shown!
Sighs.. so many mixed comments...

sexyfiredragon - I had a similar comment from my mum as you had from yours... "losing it's the easy bit, it's the keeping it off that's hard"... and I wanted to knock her block off haha! since when is this easy?!

sexyfiredragon - I had a similar comment from my mum as you had from yours... "losing it's the easy bit, it's the keeping it off that's hard"... and I wanted to knock her block off haha! since when is this easy?!

It really does put you down, but, made me wdnt to prove it to them all as well as myself! I want the last laugh so to speak :rolleyes:

Reaction from family so far has been great, especially my mum! Bless her, she's so proud if me

I've found it's work colleagues and friends that keep saying "you don't need to lose any more" it's not even worth discussing it with them anymore so I just brush it off

I think some of if could be down to jealousy!

The reaction from my family has been really positive. My Mam keeps saying how nice it is to see my slimmer and I look more like me, which is nice.

People in work always ask me how much I've lost this week and then raise their eyebrows and exchange looks with each other.
I haven't really bonded with them anyway and don't really see eye to eye with some so I think there's a bit of jealousy. Some have been trying to lose 4/5lbs for months and on SW I can sometimes do that in a week cos the plan is so good.

I'll stop when I'm happy and comfortable in myself. X

The reaction from my family has been really positive. My Mam keeps saying how nice it is to see my slimmer and I look more like me, which is nice.

People in work always ask me how much I've lost this week and then raise their eyebrows and exchange looks with each other.
I haven't really bonded with them anyway and don't really see eye to eye with some so I think there's a bit of jealousy. Some have been trying to lose 4/5lbs for months and on SW I can sometimes do that in a week cos the plan is so good.

I'll stop when I'm happy and comfortable in myself. X

I agree with this so much! Why do people think they have the right to tell you that you need to stop, they have no idea if you're comfortable in your skin or not... I'd never dream of saying that to someone x

I agree with this so much! Why do people think they have the right to tell you that you need to stop, they have no idea if you're comfortable in your skin or not... I'd never dream of saying that to someone x

Some people seem to think that they're entitled to an opinion for some reason!

I'd never dream of saying it either as I know what I feels like to be on the other end! X

Some people seem to think that they're entitled to an opinion for some reason!

I'd never dream of saying it either as I know what I feels like to be on the other end! X

Annoys me so much! Seem to be hearing it a lot lately, would understand if i was like 6 stone but I'm just a normal healthy size atm x

None of my family can notice my loss, which is so upsetting. My boyfriend is the one that tells me how great I am looking.

I just created the picture to the left, and sent it to my cousin - she said "why have you sent me two photos of yourself?". I then pointed out why, and she said "well you look the same". Sigh

None of my family can notice my loss, which is so upsetting. My boyfriend is the one that tells me how great I am looking.

I just created the picture to the left, and sent it to my cousin - she said "why have you sent me two photos of yourself?". I then pointed out why, and she said "well you look the same". Sigh

How much have you lost? x

Don't get down. It's what you see and how you feel that matters x

Back